Why become a member? ×

Coping with mistakes live

Dan Dare

3 hours ago, petebassist said:

Bass sounds awesome on there, Yamaha Attitude by the looks of it...

I mean this very politely and respectfully, but isn't it interesting how one bass players idea of an 'awesome' sound is another bass players 'nightmare 'sound ?

I would hate to have my bass sound like that on stage !

Obviously, many other opinions are available...........  (ducks and runs for cover...........:/)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

I mean this very politely and respectfully, but isn't it interesting how one bass players idea of an 'awesome' sound is another bass players 'nightmare 'sound ?

Obviously, many other opinions are available...........  (ducks and runs for cover...........:/)

A good point,  can even be changeable over time or circumstances for one player too... I have always been a very trebly roundwound strings type sounding bloke, but on a couple of bands I did I went the complete opposite, a kind of very bassy dub type tone, as it just fitted infinitely better with the music on those occasions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I agree.

Guitar, vocals and drums were good but. . . . . !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, petebassist said:

Bass sounds awesome on there, Yamaha Attitude by the looks of it...

I think that's the worst bass tone I've ever heard! It sounds like the speakers are broken. It goes to show that there's no such thing as the perfect tone as everyone will perceive it differently. 

• Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 22:47, Dan Dare said:

our singer started another verse

I haven't read the thread but it shouldn't have gone much further than this.

Band follows singer. End of story. If you can't switch gear to follow the singer when they mess up you don't belong on a stage.

My mistakes are not mistakes, they are jazz notes less harmonious.

Some noted player said something like: "you are never more than one fret away from a musically valid note".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

I think that's the worst bass tone I've ever heard! It sounds like the speakers are broken. It goes to show that there's no such thing as the perfect tone as everyone will perceive it differently. 

I'm in the "sounds bloody awful" camp.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not an easy song to sing. I like this and I'm not sure I would call it a mistake. 

Blue

Richie Kotzen has a ridiculously good voice for such a fantastic guitarist, it's kind of unfair... 🙁🙂  And I was really positing it for the fact that he starts the song in completely the wrong key...luckily, he caught himself before the rest of the band came in...

For the record, I love Billy's bass tone, always have: it's not for me, but it works for him (especially given he's a one-guitar band kinda player)...even if he's overplaying like a maniac on this particular song... 🙂