Why become a member? ×

HOW hard is it to find a decent band to play in these days?

Lfalex v1.1

The covers band I am in has been together for going on for 8 years now and we can be quite busy. We play fairly telepathically, but our guitarist sometimes has issues with the idea of new stuff (especially if I suggest them) and sometimes with some of our existing songs. Things fall out of the set occasionally and sometimes it's a job to get them played again. It's normally a comfortable enough rut for all of us, even with some occasional personality clashes in there. We know what not to do and say to each other.

The thought of starting or joining something else at this point in the game horrifies me, though if I had to I would. I've got a couple of years of playing to go.

• Like 6

My bands suggestion yesterday was to hire a photographer for our theatre gig in January to get some good pictures for social media and for promotion etc etc

A member who was championing this also doesn't want to book any more gigs next year :(

Whilst I can see it would be nice to have some pro photos, it seems pointless to me as they won't be really used for anything, and it would be a big chunk of our gig fee gone paying for it 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He is having issues with his partner and the time taken up by playing in the band.

We have 10 gigs booked next year and he doesn't want to take on any more, unless they are last minute cancellations. We have got to the point where I think we could get a booking every weekend, so there is a big gap in what we could do, vs what we are able to do.

We are currently only playing once a month anyway and barely having any rehearsals so IMO it is not taking up a great deal of time. But as the months are rolling on, the gigs & practices are having to start later, and are becoming more infrequent, but when we do have a gig, they are generally really good.

The 4 of us get on well, and the band is otherwise pretty stress-free, its just a frustration that we are having to deal with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markbunney said:

He is having issues with his partner and the time taken up by playing in the band.

We have 10 gigs booked next year and he doesn't want to take on any more, unless they are last minute cancellations. We have got to the point where I think we could get a booking every weekend, so there is a big gap in what we could do, vs what we are able to do.

We are currently only playing once a month anyway and barely having any rehearsals so IMO it is not taking up a great deal of time. But as the months are rolling on, the gigs & practices are having to start later, and are becoming more infrequent, but when we do have a gig, they are generally really good.

The 4 of us get on well, and the band is otherwise pretty stress-free, its just a frustration that we are having to deal with.

Sounds like the band has got itself to a really good place in terms of potential bookings - nice one!

Whereabouts are you guys based? If some of you want to do (a lot) more than 10 gigs, could you consider getting a dep in to cover?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, markbunney said:

My bands suggestion yesterday was to hire a photographer for our theatre gig in January to get some good pictures for social media and for promotion etc etc

A member who was championing this also doesn't want to book any more gigs next year :(

Whilst I can see it would be nice to have some pro photos, it seems pointless to me as they won't be really used for anything, and it would be a big chunk of our gig fee gone paying for it 😕

Usually get this with recording.

Hence my reluctance to spend loads of money on recordings. 

There's no financial sense in getting photographs done now if you're not gigging next year or getting a dep in for the majority of the gigs. Unless the dep is in the photographs and your singer steps aside while he sorts his personal life out.

If he's preventing everyone gigging at the level they want to then everyone else either has to make a difficult decision, or find alternate outlets. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Whereabouts are you guys based? If some of you want to do (a lot) more than 10 gigs, could you consider getting a dep in to cover?

We are based in Kent. He sings & plays guitar so its tricky to get someone to dep for that. We are hoping his personal situation calms down a bit and we can get some more stuff booked in next year

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, markbunney said:

Maybe the pro pics will infuse him with a bit more enthusiasm. Might even have a positive effect when his partner sees how good he looks on stage.

Worth a shot. Shouldn't cost an awful lot of money for a photographer for a few hrs.  Split between band members £50 a head or thereabouts.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm lucky enough to be in two completely brilliant bands. My great fear is that if I lose them for any reason (e.g. moving out of the area), I'll never find anything again. My age is against me, for starters. 

Don't move then! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm lucky enough to be in two completely brilliant bands. My great fear is that if I lose them for any reason (e.g. moving out of the area), I'll never find anything again. My age is against me, for starters. 

That's kind of my situation.  I am 66 (how did that happen?) and play in just the one band - a blues/rock trio.  It is the band I most enjoy of all that I have been in - I play music I love with a two laid back guys who are absolutely on the money.  If and when this band folds I'll most likely pack it all in as I will never find anything like this one again.    

• Like 4

Just now, Paul S said:

That's kind of my situation.  I am 66 (how did that happen?) and play in just the one band - a blues/rock trio.  It is the band I most enjoy of all that I have been in - I play music I love with a two laid back guys who are absolutely on the money.  If and when this band folds I'll most likely pack it all in as I will never find anything like this one again.    

I'd have given that post a ❤️ if that was an option, Paul! It's just great hearing you and @Rich sharing such positive stories about your bands. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Maybe the pro pics will infuse him with a bit more enthusiasm. Might even have a positive effect when his partner sees how good he looks on stage.

Worth a shot. Shouldn't cost an awful lot of money for a photographer for a few hrs.  Split between band members £50 a head or thereabouts.

Dave

The photographer has offered to do it for £70 as its local to her (she has shot some pro bands, and one of the guys has used her in an old band, so her work is good), so we are not talking a huge amount of money between 4 of us, its more the principle.

I told them I would compromise on agreeing to the photographer if we booked in another gig in the first couple of months of next year!

• Like 1

Must admit if my bands fold i'm not sure i could be bothered doing it all again (at 62) from scratch but if i was offered a spot in an established band i might take it. Its whether the people would be as nice as the ones in both my bands at moment. It does help that the drummer and one of the singers are also in both bands :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I don't get all this "eggs in 1 basket" stuff.

Get out there and mingle. Network and make opportunities happen.

Been there, done it.  At one point I was in multiple bands (2 x pub covers bands, a Bon Jovi tribute plus this blues/rock trio) but it is not for me any more.  If that works for you, great :) 

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Been there, done it.  At one point I was in multiple bands (2 x pub covers bands, a Bon Jovi tribute plus this blues/rock trio) but it is not for me any more.  If that works for you, great :) 

I took on the 2nd band because the other band only wanted to gig once a month but the demand from venues has been better than we expected and if i'm honest the one band would probably be enough for me but that leaves you in a situation that if that folds you have nothing to fall back on.

I'm sure i would find another band if i was seriously looking.

Dave

• Like 1

My band has a group Facebook messenger chat, and one day out of the blue our drummer just sent a message "Sorry, I can't be in the band anymore."  

My first reply was, "Are you okay mate?"   My second thought was about the gig that we were due to play in two days time.  My third thought was oh #&%$ we'll never find a drummer as good a fit as him.

He then sent a follow up message, writing "I'm now playing with these guys." and included a some other band's pr photo with a guy who looks exactly like him in the shot. 

My fourth thought was WTF?!?  Why would he leave us out of the blue for some other band?  I even announced to my wife that our drummer has decided to leave! 

Turns out our drummer played an evil joke on the rest of us.  That group photo just had some doppelganger stranger who happens to look JUST like him in that band image.  Long beard, piercings, etc.  

Thankfully he's still with us... but I remain shaken and paranoid.  I am really happy with all of my current bandmates, and I do appreciate that we might all be incredibly privileged / lucky.  But, I guess it could happen, one day, with any of us... someone could just decide to move on (or up!).  

• Haha 4