Why become a member? ×

anyone here in a one hit wonder band?

lidl e

On 05/06/2023 at 13:51, Steve Browning said:

So I also have a bit of a connection to this. Around 1989, the band I was in got invited to record at a studio in Soho and I am sure there was a link to this song somewhere as it was always being talked about and even played. I think the studio was owned by a drummer, possibly called Mark (long black hair, a bit gothic looking) who may have possibly been playing for the Pretty Things or maybe the song was recorded at the studio. There was also another guy who worked at the studio who played bass and would bri g me in his vintage Fenders to play during the session. The studio was called The Basement Studio in Soho. Ring any bells?

Not a one hit wonder as such but i'm in a band who, decades before I joined, had one huge worldwide No:1 hit song back in 1982. There were a few more hit records for a few years till the band broke up. Some years later they reformed, and I was recruited as a session guitarist for a few years then got asked to join the band. A few years after that we parted company amicably, then in 2012 after depping on bass for them on a couple of gigs, i rejoined as their bass player and have been "Passing the Dutchie" with them ever since. We have not had any hits whilst i have been playing with them, though we have released an album which was started during my absence and when I returned I got to play bass on one of the tracks which was recorded at one of our gigs. In fact if memory serves me right it is the only non synth bass track on the album. The track is a cover of "I Shot the Sheriff" and the album is called When Reggae Was King. 

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Linus27 said:

So I also have a bit of a connection to this. Around 1989, the band I was in got invited to record at a studio in Soho and I am sure there was a link to this song somewhere as it was always being talked about and even played. I think the studio was owned by a drummer, possibly called Mark (long black hair, a bit gothic looking) who may have possibly been playing for the Pretty Things or maybe the song was recorded at the studio. There was also another guy who worked at the studio who played bass and would bri g me in his vintage Fenders to play during the session. The studio was called The Basement Studio in Soho. Ring any bells?

Indeed it does. I am that bass player. They created a job for me there so I could be a full time Pretty Thing (oh, the irony). 145 Wardour Street was the studio and we recorded the track there (as we did the rest of the album that followed). Mark St John was the 'owner' and he also played on the track (he's in the video too).

Which band were you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Not a one hit wonder as such but i'm in a band who, decades before I joined, had one huge worldwide No:1 hit song back in 1982. There were a few more hit records for a few years till the band broke up. Some years later they reformed, and I was recruited as a session guitarist for a few years then got asked to join the band. A few years after that we parted company amicably, then in 2012 after depping on bass for them on a couple of gigs, i rejoined as their bass player and have been "Passing the Dutchie" with them ever since. We have not had any hits whilst i have been playing with them, though we have released an album which was started during my absence and when I returned I got to play bass on one of the tracks which was recorded at one of our gigs. In fact if memory serves me right it is the only non synth bass track on the album. The track is a cover of "I Shot the Sheriff" and the album is called When Reggae Was King. 

Come on @jazzyvee, what was the band? Give us a clue. 🤣😉 (I can remember singing that song as a kid. We all did)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

They were a pretty big deal before my time. I was very much making up the numbers but had a great time and played with some pretty impressive people. 

I was wondering about that. They were a well known band before my time and you dont look any older than me Steve. Either that or you are wearing well sir :laugh1:

Dave

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Did you not open a large ceremony last year with the band too. ?

The thing i remember most about it..........the colourful suit you were wearing. So cool.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Indeed it does. I am that bass player. They created a job for me there so I could be a full time Pretty Thing (oh, the irony). 145 Wardour Street was the studio and we recorded the track there (as we did the rest of the album that followed). Mark St John was the 'owner' and he also played on the track (he's in the video too).

Which band were you?

@Steve BrowningOh wow, that's amazing, 34 years later and we meet again 😁

The name of my band was Home Again and we were in the studio for a week and recorded about 4 or 5 tracks. Sadly the experience for us was not a good one. It was all booked and paid for by the drummers uncle who worked in the offices above the studio. I think it was a firm of accountants. When it came to paying, the uncle did a runner, literally disappeared off the face of the earth. So we were left with the bill. Being a bunch of naive 18 year olds, we had no money or no idea what to do but Mark eventually went after our singer and his parents to recover costs which caused the band huge tension and we eventually split up.

The recording session itself was brilliant and I remember you and I and the girl that worked there hung out most of the time in the upstairs part that looked out over the high street. You were bringing a different vintage bass in each day for me to play. I remember a white Jazz which I loved, a sunburst Precision and was there maybe a 51 Precision? You were going to sell one to me but sadly I had no money at the time. I have a whole bunch of photos from the week so I can post them up in a bit.

Sadly, I never got a copy of the recording but I did hear it and it sounded awesome. 

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

@Steve BrowningOh wow, that's amazing, 34 years later and we meet again 😁

The name of my band was Home Again and we were in the studio for a week and recorded about 4 or 5 tracks. Sadly the experience for us was not a good one. It was all booked and paid for by the drummers uncle who worked in the offices above the studio. I think it was a firm of accountants. When it came to paying, the uncle did a runner, literally disappeared off the face of the earth. So we were left with the bill. Being a bunch of naive 18 year olds, we had no money or no idea what to do but Mark eventually went after our singer and his parents to recover costs which caused the band huge tension and we eventually split up.

The recording session itself was brilliant and I remember you and I and the girl that worked there hung out most of the time in the upstairs part that looked out over the high street. You were bringing a different vintage bass in each day for me to play. I remember a white Jazz which I loved, a sunburst Precision and was there maybe a 51 Precision? You were going to sell one to me but sadly I had no money at the time. I have a whole bunch of photos from the week so I can post them up in a bit.

Sadly, I never got a copy of the recording but I did hear it and it sounded awesome. 

I remember it well, and the unhappy aftermath. I was a director of the company behind the studio and, as such, gave a guarantee for the rent. After I left, Mark emptied the studio and left me with a £37k CCJ for the outstanding rent! Luckily for me, the landlord was sympathetic and never enforced the debt but the repercussions were severe, they cost me far more than money. 

Getting back to the band, I seem to recall the guitarist using echo very much in the style of The Edge. The Jazz was a '66, and I've never really got on with them. The sunburst was probably my '66 also, and which I still own. The '51 was, in fact, 53. Oddly, it is featured in Haynes Fender Bass Manual, and even shows the certificate I got from John Entwistle (it was one of his old basses).

The pics would be amazing to see!

• Like 1

Nice story gents. Spent a lot of time in the West End bk in the early 80's making a lot of groovy noise, Empire Ballroom was always fun. Anyway. I'm on a compilation album and appeared on a TV arts show back in 84. Both long lost to obscurity...haha.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I remember it well, and the unhappy aftermath. I was a director of the company behind the studio and, as such, gave a guarantee for the rent. After I left, Mark emptied the studio and left me with a £37k CCJ for the outstanding rent! Luckily for me, the landlord was sympathetic and never enforced the debt but the repercussions were severe, they cost me far more than money. 

Getting back to the band, I seem to recall the guitarist using echo very much in the style of The Edge. The Jazz was a '66, and I've never really got on with them. The sunburst was probably my '66 also, and which I still own. The '51 was, in fact, 53. Oddly, it is featured in Haynes Fender Bass Manual, and even shows the certificate I got from John Entwistle (it was one of his old basses).

The pics would be amazing to see!

Oh wow, that is shocking, we thought we had it bad but what happened to you is unbelievable. 

You are absolutely spot on with the singer/guitarist. We were very big U2 fans so lots of reverb on the vocals and delay/echo on the guitar. Great memory you have to remember that. So here are some pictures. They are not great and I hope the mods don't mind me posting them in here.

46.thumb.jpg.ecca192ccdf194688bd0ee00ef9bb6f8.jpg42.jpg.72d02771bc635dc68f3d36c57e86d5dc.jpg10.jpg.f65b646660ca079e2ce0a485e332a2b5.jpg45.thumb.jpg.0f6b5e2278c1abc89726761fcca730ed.jpg19.jpg.870406f5f5f9ee7d2d0984d0a22ab42b.jpg41.jpg.66b786e9aae5439e5e9373cb91aab1bb.jpg4.jpg.24064e86ea9a2d6bc1252f02682a6302.jpg48.thumb.jpg.9625ffcda65256b8927cba27cfdf82b9.jpg26.jpg.600d623f05aa4b6d0f87338517a75f4d.jpg21.jpg.f360735d459732eb269c139433fcc8b0.jpg2.jpg.de9ec34446c49bff0dc7b637cad89929.jpg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Oh wow, that is shocking, we thought we had it bad but what happened to you is unbelievable. 

You are absolutely spot on with the singer/guitarist. We were very big U2 fans so lots of reverb on the vocals and delay/echo on the guitar. Great memory you have to remember that. So here are some pictures. They are not great and I hope the mods don't mind me posting them in here.

46.thumb.jpg.ecca192ccdf194688bd0ee00ef9bb6f8.jpg42.jpg.72d02771bc635dc68f3d36c57e86d5dc.jpg10.jpg.f65b646660ca079e2ce0a485e332a2b5.jpg45.thumb.jpg.0f6b5e2278c1abc89726761fcca730ed.jpg19.jpg.870406f5f5f9ee7d2d0984d0a22ab42b.jpg41.jpg.66b786e9aae5439e5e9373cb91aab1bb.jpg4.jpg.24064e86ea9a2d6bc1252f02682a6302.jpg48.thumb.jpg.9625ffcda65256b8927cba27cfdf82b9.jpg26.jpg.600d623f05aa4b6d0f87338517a75f4d.jpg21.jpg.f360735d459732eb269c139433fcc8b0.jpg2.jpg.de9ec34446c49bff0dc7b637cad89929.jpg

Blimey, there are my greatest hits. the '53, the '66 slab, the '66 Jazz and my '66 Precision. I don't recall fitting the EMG pickups on it. I had thought they were only on a Squier I had at the time, and used as my spare. Looking at that Jazz, it may not be my old one. That was more cream coloured with a tort scratchplate. Mark with the pony-tail and Dave Garland. Dave was/is a fine engineer/producer and we did a lot of work with Jim Lea of Slade.

If I message you my remail address, would you be kind enough to email me the pictures?

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Blimey, there are my greatest hits. the '53, the '66 slab, the '66 Jazz and my '66 Precision. I don't recall fitting the EMG pickups on it. I had thought they were only on a Squier I had at the time, and used as my spare. Looking at that Jazz, it may not be my old one. That was more cream coloured with a tort scratchplate. Mark with the pony-tail and Dave Garland. Dave was/is a fine engineer/producer and we did a lot of work with Jim Lea of Slade.

If I message you my remail address, would you be kind enough to email me the pictures?

Sure, not a problem, happy to email them over.

9 hours ago, Linus27 said:

You aren't wrong about being big U2 fans. The guy in the white shirt, with the ponytail and cross earring is very Joshua Tree-era Bono.

On 08/06/2023 at 08:34, dmccombe7 said:

Did you not open a large ceremony last year with the band too. ?

The thing i remember most about it..........the colourful suit you were wearing. So cool.

Dave

Yep we did the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.. Sadly we could not keep the suits, they have apparently gone to a museum somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not quite in the same league as closing the Commonwealth games and certainly not a one hit wonder myself…

We did a wedding where Chesney Hawkes was a guest, so we rehearsed up I Am The One And Only (a surprisingly tricky little beast with some clever key changes and timing tricks) in case he’d get asked to do it- which he did. So he walked up to me to me to check the key, knocked out a note perfect rendition (I think he’s had enough practise at it), crowd went bonkers, he shook us all by the hand and disappeared.

• Like 2