Why become a member? ×

The name of Your bass

nilorius

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Ohhh. Interesting, could You explain more detalized?

Indeed I can, it’s a Mustang bass with a thunderbird pickup in the neck position and a rickenbacker pickup at the bridge. It’s what Fender would have called it 😂

• Like 1

2061.jpg.1ff3ec0a82f48ade262945f99e7e2560.jpg

On the left what was known as "Dale's" bass. Dale is my on stage altar ego. However since I started using the one on the right it's become "the blue bass"

On the Right what was known as " the ace of spades bass" due to it's ace of spades fretboard markers has now become "Dale's bass".

Edited by Dom in Dorset

21 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I made the mistake of naming my previous cars (Rio and Pixie…) which made it much harder to part with them!

So no. Basses don’t need names. They don’t come when I call them anyway. 

:)))))) Well, maybe robots don't need names, but basses, could have some ! Why do You then got names on cars? Did You try to pair them ?

Edited by nilorius

11 minutes ago, nilorius said:

:)))))) Well, maybe robots don't need names, but basses, could have some ! Why do You then got names on cars? Did You try to pair them ?

The car names were based on the number plates (Rio was R10, Pixie contained PXY etc…) 

We just refer to the current cars as Bluey and Silvery to save any confusion 

• Like 1

I call my Peavey T-40 lovingly "The Old Lady"

My five string double humbucker bass was named by its builder: "Workhorse". At the time I found the name a bit disrespectful of such a fine instrument but after using it for more than 10 years in various bands, I have to agree: it is a "workhorse".

The only named basses I have are 'Skabass' (2-tone themed Jazzish thing) and 'JayRay' (OLP 'Ray with fretless Jaydee neck). Everything else is just a the... i.e. the Wal, the Shuke, the Spector, etc.

On 30/05/2023 at 11:17, nilorius said:

Here i am interested if someone prefer to name his favourite basses in definite name like - Tiger, Deamon, Candy, T-rex...etc, or just leave the brand and model !

My P-bass is known (by me, mostly) as "The Beast". Other than that no. As I've mentioned in another thread, when I eventually get my grubby mits on a Sadowsky MetroExpress (the upcoming Chinese ones with the proper logo) then, as it's been my unicorn for several years, including when they were still made in Japan, it shall be known as Eleanor after the Shelby GT500 in Gone In 60 Seconds.

• Haha 1

Mainly named for identification (as all my basses are Precision types)

1966 = #1 because it's been my number 1 for almost 40 years

1971 isn't really used much so remains nameless

1972 = the Wreck, mainly because it looks as though Rory Gallagher may have owned it

SVL (1) = Emily - so named (and with the name actually on the neck plate) so my eldest knows it's hers when I snuff it

SVL (2) = Hannah - same reason

A/E fretless = the fretless really. Not actually named.

The Greco and Tokai aren't used much so aren't named/identified.

This is interesting when I think about it.

All my electronic gadgets and computers are named (possibly for network identification purposes), I've named my car (it's not gender specific and I don't refer to it as 'he' or 'she'), but none of my basses have ever had names.

My Maison is just 'the Maison', my AB-35 is either '5-string Acoustic' or just 'the acoustic', and my Ashdown is just 'the Lodestone'.

So no, no names for any of my basses yet.

Mark

I find myself unable to resist naming my babies.

• Five string fretless uke bass is ʻelima (Hawaiian for five).
  • Ibanez GSRM25 is Ibby.
  • Harley Benton 5 string fretless is Quinn

S'manth x

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I sometimes think about calling my Mustang "Sally" and then I decide that's a silly idea...

I wouldn't be able to resist, if I had a Mustang I'd have to call it Sally. In fact if I had a Ford Mustang I'd have to call it Sally, I just wouldn't be able to stop myself 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1