Why become a member? ×

How happy do you look?

Rich

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Clarky, what bass is this, if I may ask?  Body shape reminds me of a Newport, but Split coil (?) and the headstock seems to be different as well.

Its a Serek Midwestern (hand made by Jake Serek and his team in Chicago, as played by Tim Lefebvre, Brandon Boone of Tedeschi Trucks etc). Serek designs are based on retro basses like yhe Newport and Gibson Ripper. These are mine:

20230422_111721.thumb.jpg.265d3d5a00c96aff9d222587b29ec20e.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Its a Serek Midwestern (hand made by Jake Serek and his team in Chicago, as played by Tim Lefebvre, Brandon Boone of Tedeschi Trucks etc). Serek designs are based on retro basses like yhe Newport and Gibson Ripper. These are mine:

20230422_111721.thumb.jpg.265d3d5a00c96aff9d222587b29ec20e.jpg

Do you reckon Smithy will take the plunge? 😁

When lock down happened and all the gigs were taken away, I used the time to get good at the drums. Where I used to concentrate, I'm now totally relaxed. I think this in combination with the sheer joy of being able to play live again has given me a permanently grinning gig face. People regularly stop me after gigs to tell me I'm the "smiliest drummer ever". Some started calling me "smiley Tom". It's a bit embarrassing but it's just genuine happiness, and people seem to like it

smile.thumb.jpg.6a6068770f6e0bfea48e89f4d1d88ebd.jpg

1 minute ago, cheddatom said:

When lock down happened and all the gigs were taken away, I used the time to get good at the drums. Where I used to concentrate, I'm now totally relaxed. I think this in combination with the sheer joy of being able to play live again has given me a permanently grinning gig face. People regularly stop me after gigs to tell me I'm the "smiliest drummer ever". Some started calling me "smiley Tom". It's a bit embarrassing but it's just genuine happiness, and people seem to like it

smile.thumb.jpg.6a6068770f6e0bfea48e89f4d1d88ebd.jpg

I reckon you're smiling 'cause Frankie Boyle on geetar just cracked a joke?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

That's some strap!... But no sombrero then... :(

Yeah, great strap - a Maruszczczyickcz (I thinczk that's right) 12cm wide, padded, soft leather, suede underside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarky said:

Its a Serek Midwestern (hand made by Jake Serek and his team in Chicago, as played by Tim Lefebvre, Brandon Boone of Tedeschi Trucks etc). Serek designs are based on retro basses like yhe Newport and Gibson Ripper.

That´stunning, an eye candy. I´ve made a google search for some reviews and sound examples and I´m really impressed. What a bass! But I didn´t find any sounds with your split coils (standard seems to be B90).

Unfortunately it´s out of my price range, so no- I won´t take the plunge. And beside from that my hobby player skills wouldn´t do it justice.

But it made me think about getting an Epiphone and modding it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

And, what looks like an L9S?

Excellent spot!  It's my old Gibson Ripper, though a massively modded one - it's what we did in the '80s.  Completely re-finished by the inestimable Ted Lee, plus fitting of a SD precision pickup between the Ripper pickups, and an active circuit cloned from the Fender Precision Special of the time.  It's a beautiful bass but sadly a bit big for me these days and I only really play shorties.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Fender Jazz Deluxe V, 2009 model.

20230522_182528.jpg

Looks super, I would shurely own something like this, but , bad, my hands are too small - my Ibanez GWB 1005 5 string "fretless" is perfect for me in all around the world.

Edited by nilorius

6 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Looks super, I would shurely own something like this, but , bad, my hands are too small - my Ibanez GWB 1005 5 string "fretless" is perfect for me in all around the world.

I have small hands too, and the wide neck did take a bit of getting used to. I got there in the end, though!

• Like 1