Why become a member? ×

If I Could Change Two Things About My Band

Bluewine

There must be a fair degree of communication for you guys to have got where you're at?

Transparency is a different beast. I can smell a fish from a mile off, so I have a fairly good nose for BS.

Fortunately, all of the people I play alongside are also my friends, so I don't suffer from a lack of that. I can see how that would be an issue though, where there are differing agendas which aren't shared.

I think you need to clear the air if it's troubling you.

• Like 2

If you want to change anything about your band and you are not either the Band Leader (for want of a better term) or the main songwriter - or you are being paid a stinky poo-ton of money to be in the band, then it is time to leave and find another one where there isn't anything you want to change.

Edited by BigRedX

I would choose:

That the bassist looked much slimmer and more handsome.

That we got paid ridiculously huge amounts of money for our gigs.

But back in the real world I don’t think I’d change anything about my gigging band, what we’re doing suits me exactly.

• Like 1

I wish we could be more confident in all the non-playing aspects of band stuff - socials, publicity, tooting our own metaphorical horns and all that jazz instead of the whole "we're in a band but shhhh, don't tell anyone!" shyness/modesty thing.  We don't have to turn into completely overbearing, arrogant knobs either, just somewhere between those extremes would be nice.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I wish we could be more confident in all the non-playing aspects of band stuff - socials, publicity, tooting our own metaphorical horns and all that jazz instead of the whole "we're in a band but shhhh, don't tell anyone!" shyness/modesty thing.  We don't have to turn into completely overbearing, arrogant knobs either, just somewhere between those extremes would be nice.

Yep, that's us to a tee as well. There are umpteen other bands round our way who push themselves on the socials far more than we do (which isn't difficult to be fair!), and seem to get gigs at the drop of a hat. That said, our whole raison d'être was to have fun, playing songs we wanted to play, and gigging only occasionally, rather than being out every weekend playing the same old stuff in the same old pubs as everybody else, so probably shouldn't grumble really.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Internally, nothing springs to mind but I would change the amount we earn! Not looking to rival Mick Jagger but a circuit of paid gigs where I didn't have to put so much effort in each time would be ideal. 

As I have a second change, I'd have a roadie that carried the gear, staffed the merch and didn't hang around with the band to mess up our dynamic. They work for free btw! I don't want much.

• Like 2

Individual members to stop picking new songs based on how fun they are to play, solely for them, disregarding absolutely everything else. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Currently in a three piece. I'd sack the guitarist and the drummer, leaving more space on stage for my gear. 😁

Drummer's easy, get a drum machine, you won't have all those annoying "fills" and stuff either

I'd keep the guitarist purely as a useful  roadie for your gear, just have a remote volume pedal so you can turn him right down for the actual gig. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

We're trying to get an EP together before we get gigs. I would much prefer to try to get gigs with a room recording for now while we work on the EP. 

We just recorded our EP. Having a good recording engineer makes a huge difference and a producer who understands the style of music you play.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There must be a fair degree of communication for you guys to have got where you're at?

Transparency is a different beast. I can smell a fish from a mile off, so I have a fairly good nose for BS.

Fortunately, all of the people I play alongside are also my friends, so I don't suffer from a lack of that. I can see how that would be an issue though, where there are differing agendas which aren't shared.

I think you need to clear the air if it's troubling you.

I think the reason I'm  still in this band  after 15 years is because I never clear the air or say anything.  Lol 😆 

Blue

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If you want to change anything about your band and you are not either the Band Leader (for want of a better term) or the main songwriter - or you are being paid a stinky poo-ton of money to be in the band, then it is time to leave and find another one where there isn't anything you want to change.

I would bet a few folks here don't live in " find another band " territory . Areas where opportunities are limited.

Blue

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I would choose:

That the bassist looked much slimmer and more handsome.

That we got paid ridiculously huge amounts of money for our gigs.

But back in the real world I don’t think I’d change anything about my gigging band, what we’re doing suits me exactly.

"Ridiculously  huge amounts  of money."

That's  best kind of money to get. Lol 😆 

Blue

9 hours ago, tony_m said:

Yep, that's us to a tee as well. There are umpteen other bands round our way who push themselves on the socials far more than we do (which isn't difficult to be fair!), and seem to get gigs at the drop of a hat. That said, our whole raison d'être was to have fun, playing songs we wanted to play, and gigging only occasionally, rather than being out every weekend playing the same old stuff in the same old pubs as everybody else, so probably shouldn't grumble really.  🤷‍♂️

It took 15 years but we finally were able to graduate  from pub/bar gigs. Most gigs are upscale events where we play 80 minute. No more 8-12 gigs.

We're  pretty good with socials and networking with decision makers at the county , municipal  and State level .

Blue

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Internally, nothing springs to mind but I would change the amount we earn! Not looking to rival Mick Jagger but a circuit of paid gigs where I didn't have to put so much effort in each time would be ideal. 

As I have a second change, I'd have a roadie that carried the gear, staffed the merch and didn't hang around with the band to mess up our dynamic. They work for free btw! I don't want much.

I think allot of local bands get in the habit of accepting  low pay gigs. It's  ok to reject those gigs.

I get how young new bands have to take those gigs.

Blue

9 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My band mates are skint so could use the cash but I'd prefer to play for free so it's not work. I guess there's a simple answer to that

It's  work but fun work. I've always loved the idea of getting paid to have fun.

I not sure I ever have the same " work" feeling you'd get from a traditional  job.

Blue

• Like 1