Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no idea....

roblpm

So tell me what the ethics are on being interested in beautiful bass gear when just an intermediate player.

Obviously I could be an amazing player on a £300 squire bass. 

But is there such a thing as a bass hobby that doesn't have to do with skill??

It's not ethics.

A complete beginner may have the wherewithal to buy nice gear if they choose. No seal pups were clubbed to death.

A somewhat lousy player may decide his lousy gear is wholly or partly to blame and invest in nicer gear. He could be wholly wrong, or only partly wrong if his gear was all that hard to get nice noises from. Either way NSPWCTD.

An old pro could be still playing with the first ge ever bought or getting a shiny new one every couple of years. Again, NSC...

No ethics at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As long as it doesn't jeopardise the roof over your head or the food on your table then fill your boots.  Whose business is it but yours?

I think we'd all get on a lot better if we stopped worrying what other people think about us when it comes to something as unnecessary and frivolous as bass gear.

Hi pot, I'm kettle, please don't hate me ;)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Tbf OP - it’s a question we’ve all asked ourselves in some form over the years. 

Natural place to get to - the guitar industry is based on the dream that a new instrument will make us a new player. 

Spend what you like. 

- The new bass makes you happy, not a better player. 

- You’re the only person in the room that knows what bass you’re playing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’d have saved a lot of time, effort and money if I’d just bought a Squier on day one (then stuck a Gotoh bridge and Geezer pickups on it).

… but if you want to buy an expensive bass, go for it. Everyone’s different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, roblpm said:

So tell me what the ethics are on being interested in beautiful bass gear when just an intermediate player.

Obviously I could be an amazing player on a £300 squire bass.

But is there such a thing as a bass hobby that doesn't have to do with skill??

Of course. I learned early on (12 years ago) that I would be a rubbish bass player.  So I focused on what I was good at and enjoyed - packing, sending and receiving cardboard boxes and selling gear at a loss.  I could probably be as happy just sending myself empty boxes to open.

Edited by lownote
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 28

As other have said. The only issue in terms of ethics is that you don't put your family in financial trouble. If you are loaded it's ok to buy a Fodera to noodle every now and then - or ridicolously expensive furniture.

Personally I am as interested in gear as I am interrsted in playing. I get as much satisfaction from a successful pickup replacement than from learning a cool thing on the bass. Unfortunately, while playing is free, gear is not.

I only deal with cheap basses. Gear is a hobby which I see as frivolous for somebody at my level (unlike playing). Which is ok but I don't feel like stretching myself financially for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy what you want I suppose. Everybody’s circumstances are different, if you can afford it and justify the expense - why not?

Personally, I’ve got about £2500 worth of gear currently and that includes everything. I’ve got better things to spend my limited money on if and when I have got it spare and as long as something is nice to play and I get the sound I’m after, then I’m happy. I also sometimes just don’t understand what makes some of the super expensive gear worth the £££ anyway.

The stuff I have gets used every day so it certainly seems like I’m getting my moneys worth from it.

Also instrument-wise I don’t buy anything that I’d struggle to fix or maintain myself, so keeping things basic helps keep the cost down. I like to tinker so don’t mind learning how to fix/upgrade things myself as a when it needs it or I can replace something I don’t like.

The only things on my shopping list atm are a replacement neck and some Dimarzio P Pups.

Edited by How1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lownote said:

Of course. I learned early on (12 years ago) that I would be a rubbish bass player.  So I focused on what I was good at and enjoyed - packing, sending and receiving cardboard boxes and selling gear at a loss.  I could probably be as happy just sending myself empty boxes to open.

Love this. I was discussing with a friend  getting deliveries from the daily Amazon driver that comes round and he suggested putting some kitchen roll on their subscription service so once a month you get a surprise delivery!!

Not great for the environment though so I haven't done that but great minds seem to think alike!!

Edited by roblpm
Spelling
  • Like 1

With the caveat that you shouldn't put you or yours in difficulty as a result, buy the bass that will encourage you to play and perhaps motivate you to get better. If it sits on it's stand and whispers seductively 'play me some more', then it's a good investment. 😃  

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bank is going to give you virtually nothing in interest for looking after your money. Buy yourself something you want you get to enjoy what your money bought and with a bit of luck you might get your money back, or, God forbid, make a few bob when it's time to sell. 

The alternative would be Mrs BCer has cash available to spend on handbags and shoes....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1