Why become a member? ×

I just LOVE playing bass……

Rayman

It’s so much more than just a hobby (I hate that term), it’s a way of life.

For me, playing bass, and creating art, gets me through a bad day and makes a good day better.

I’ve had an awful week. It’s been very stressful, both at work and for personal reasons. I felt very low on soul coal.

An hour on my Thunderbird put a smile back on my face. It’s therapy, it’s energy, it’s SO important for my mental health.

I love it.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 31

I have some low moods and, when I was working, sometimes I’d not notice, just putting it down to being a miserable git. Then, during one episode, I noticed that I hadn’t picked up my basses for some time. This, of course, made me pick them up and bingo, mood started to improve. These days, I try to pick them up everyday.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I have some low moods and, when I was working, sometimes I’d not notice, just putting it down to being a miserable git. Then, during one episode, I noticed that I hadn’t picked up my basses for some time. This, of course, made me pick them up and bingo, mood started to improve. These days, I try to pick them up everyday.

Well said. It works everybody time for getting me out of a slump or feeling stressed out. Even if I’m tired and just noodling around after work for a while.

• Like 2

I also hate that word ''hobby'', but sadly when someone asks me - ''what's Your hobby?'' - there is nothing else i can quickly answer "bass guitar"! I hate that situation. Bass guitar is always in my head. I know that i play it and feel it with much, much love and when i do it - I feel my heartbeats real ! So, everybody who knows what instrument is Yours, feel it, keep it, know it and don't waste Your time on video games or whatever......

• Like 4

It's always been the best therapy, but now I appreciate is twice as much.

I had a small stroke, out of the blue a few weeks ago, and for a little while my left arm basically withered and died, leaving me with a useless claw. Luckily, over the next couple of hours my brain rewired itself, giving me some control back, and apart from the odd strange sensation it's pretty much normal now. 

I'm playing like a man possessed at the moment. You never fully understand the value of something until it's gone.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, NickD said:

I had a small stroke, out of the blue a few weeks ago, and for a little while my left arm basically withered and died, leaving me with a useless claw. Luckily, over the next couple of hours my brain rewired itself, giving me some control back, and apart from the odd strange sensation it's pretty much normal now. 

I'm playing like a man possessed at the moment. You never fully understand the value of something until it's gone.

All power to you pal, make every day count.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’d love to do it, but I just don’t get the time 

kids, diy etc

i feel like a fraud… I’m sitting here in an OM night with my p pass and I kind of hope I don’t show my total lack of practice 

UPDATE 

mr selfish hogged the limelight for 30 straight minutes and I left. It was so empty there that it only just registered higher numbers than the boris Johnson fan club 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I’d love to do it, but I just don’t get the time 

kids, diy etc

i feel like a fraud… I’m sitting here in an OM night with my b pass and I kind of hope I don’t show my total lack of practice 

Nah, I’m with you.

I play bass when I’m gigging. I’ll practice double bass at home, but when I want to. 

I’ve been playing bass for 30 odd years and (without sounding like an idiot) I can pick up and play to a high standard without an hour practice each day.

I gig maybe 40 - 50 times a year, which is where I really feel the love for bass. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rayman said:

For me, playing bass, and creating art, gets me through a bad day and makes a good day better.

I’ve had an awful week. It’s been very stressful, both at work and for personal reasons. I felt very low on soul coal.

An hour on my Thunderbird put a smile back on my face. It’s therapy, it’s energy, it’s SO important for my mental health.

I love it.

Amen to that! @Rayman

Playing bass, playing music with other people and being around creative people keeps me sane, lifts my spirits and keeps me young (in my head and heart)... 

This place helps quite a bit too... 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NickD said:

15 hours ago, Rayman said:

All power to you pal, make every day count.

Well said @Rayman...

And all the best for a full recovery @NickD 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NickD said:

Yikes, that's horrible! :( 

May you return to full strength ASAP.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 18:07, Rayman said:

It's not a hobby or even a way of life, it's so much more, it's a calling. On reflection - and given that from the age of about 5-years i could always hum the bass part of songs to which i could remember neither the words or the melody - I was called to play bass, and I still feel better after an hour playing bass than I do after an hour of just about anything else (especially my new Enfield many thanks @Shaggy👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a nice post. Yes, there have been quite a number times when I've really really enjoyed playing a gig, or even just a rehearsal that went well - a special moment when music lifted my mood, or even helped me feel great. Happily, there are far more of these than the opposite. My only problem, is that I just can't get as much time to play music as I would like to, including some of the other non-bass instruments I own.

• Like 2