Why become a member? ×

Verso Gravis - bass with fully movable pickup

Quatschmacher

These pop up on my Instagram all the time. I think they're super cool. 

I believe someone here got ine semi recently. 

I do think the price is too high, personally, but i love the concept.

• Like 1

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

I’m well aware that the concept has been tackled before. That’s not really why I posted. 

It would help if you could enlighten us as to why you posted it then.  You didn't even attempt to guide the narrative, so you can't really complain when it doesn't pan out the way you had hoped.

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It would help if you could enlighten us as to why you posted it then.  You didn't even attempt to guide the narrative, so you can't really complain when it doesn't pan out the way you had hoped.

Mate

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Bass chat.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I may sound harsh, but the concept is a tad more than 50 years old with the very first Alembic ever built in 1971 for Jack Casady.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/alembic-001-rick-turner-rennovation.1304641/

Not exactly. On the Verso, the pickup doesn't necessarily have to be below the strings. You can also use it as a handheld pickup to do volume swells (OK, maybe more useful on guitar than on bass). 

I think they're incredibly cool, and would love to own the guitar version. 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

The body is a bit of bent metal 

I have no idea why everyone is discussing a movable pickup … 

The body is a bit of bent metal 

I didn't really want to open a (lack of) tonewood can of worms...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always been fascinated by the moving concept, simply because IMO pickup placement has the single biggest affect on how a bass sounds.

The Verso is interesting but the I would consider selling an internal organ for the 2 moveable pickup bass Warwick built for Guy Pratt.

I'm not sure that they ever did a production version or whether it would even be available as a custom build, but for me it's a dream bass.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Not exactly. On the Verso, the pickup doesn't necessarily have to be below the strings. You can also use it as a handheld pickup to do volume swells (OK, maybe more useful on guitar than on bass). 

I think they're incredibly cool, and would love to own the guitar version. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the design of these instruments, but not the absolutely unjustified price, but there is nothing new in a sliding/moving/swappable pickup...

And if you're used to anchor your thumb on the pickup to play, it won't work at all.

It's again a guitar design adapted to a bass, and there lies the issue, and I'm not even mentioning the awful and buzzing sound in the video...

7 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

And if you're used to anchor your thumb on the pickup to play, it won't work at all.

It's again a guitar design adapted to a bass, and there lies the issue, and I'm not even mentioning the awful and buzzing sound in the video...

Very valid points indeed. 

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

You’re reading far too much into my response; I wasn’t complaining at all (this isn’t Gearspace😆). Merely stating that I was aware that it wasn’t a new concept and I wanted to post it despite that. I saw it, thought it was interesting and that others might be interested in it too. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You’re reading far too much into my response; I wasn’t complaining at all (this isn’t Gearspace😆). Merely stating that I was aware that it wasn’t a new concept and I wanted to post it despite that. I saw it, thought it was interesting and that others might be interested in it too. Nothing more, nothing less. 

I fear I may have misinterpreted your remark as snarky, my apologies for doing so and sorry for the less than constructive response to that perceived snarkiness.

Having looked at the vid and website again, it certainly is different and pretty nifty but I can't really get along with the execution.  Like I said before, I really don't like the visible wire to the pickup on the outside.  It doesn't look like it's going to work for people (like me) who rest their thumb on the pickup when playing the E string.  The headstock is not great - very anonymous and why do it in such a way that the strings have to go at such angles after the nut?  The whole thing just looks a bit "prototype-y" and unfinished while also looking like a lot of work has gone into it - does that make any sense?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I fear I may have misinterpreted your remark as snarky, my apologies for doing so and sorry for the less than constructive response to that perceived snarkiness.

Having looked at the vid and website again, it certainly is different and pretty nifty but I can't really get along with the execution.  Like I said before, I really don't like the visible wire to the pickup on the outside.  It doesn't look like it's going to work for people (like me) who rest their thumb on the pickup when playing the E string.  The headstock is not great - very anonymous and why do it in such a way that the strings have to go at such angles after the nut?  The whole thing just looks a bit "prototype-y" and unfinished while also looking like a lot of work has gone into it - does that make any sense?

No worries. I probably could’ve worded it less ambiguously; serves me right for trying to reply while running around after my very active child. 

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

No worries. I probably could’ve worded it less ambiguously; serves me right for trying to reply while running around after my very active child. 

Multitasking is the worst :(

• Like 1

2157 Euros (plus Import Duty & Shipping, plus VAT on the lot) and a 12-month waitlist for an instrument where the only evidence of actual craftsmanship is (might be?) the shaping of the neck?

I have a Westone "The Rail" parked next to me as I type this. I think I know when I'm well off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

The headstock is not great - very anonymous and why do it in such a way that the strings have to go at such angles after the nut? 

The headstock is something I like 😂. I saw it on Instagram the other day (just a shot of the rear of the headstock) and thought “that’s nice”.  Not in to the bendy metal thing though - I could see me bending it out of shape accidentally.

Edited by Pea Turgh