Why become a member? ×

I hate Green Day

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='476276' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:38 PM']My objection is pure prejudice... we cover Basket Case and American Idiot. I hate those songs... I know absolutely nothing about them except everything I've heard sounds dreadful. I seem to remember they covered "The Saints are Coming" which was just rude!!

I think this is my repost to the current thread about songs that are easy and you like to play - this is about songs that are easy that I hate to play :) You can add "I Fought the Law" to that list and, before you say anything, I'm a big Clash fan. Nasty bass line on that though.[/quote]

The Clash? Now that's a band I can't get on with :rolleyes:

I quite liked American Idiot, but think the rest of their stuff is sh-hoite...i know that they're a bit of a joke but there are some nice tunes on American Idiot....nothing groundbreaking mind you, but not as bad as some of the so-called 'punk' bands. I know that i shouldn't admit all this but i like what i like and f*** the rest of you :)

[quote name='Protium' post='476341' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:50 PM']Beats playing covers really slowly :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)

They used to be quite good I think, would never class them as Punk. They are to Punk what Linkin Park are to Metal a watered down version for the masses.

I quite like Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod.

[quote name='4000' post='476267' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:30 PM']So far as I'm concerned I'm quite happy for bands to change their sound over time, even if I end up not liking them. If someone told me what I should be sounding like I'd tell them to go shove themselves; it's entirely up to the band.[/quote]

I don't hold it against them! I just don't buy their stuff anymore. Insomniac was quite a change but I loved that, didn't like most of Nimrod (Good Riddance is the only song I can remember off that album and I think it's great) and then didn't bother with the rest. Heard it everywhere anyway!

I think Basket Case is probably in the running for the "Song massacred by the most covers bands ever" award too

[quote name='RhysP' post='476399' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:17 PM']Glen Campbell's version is much better.[/quote]

Just had a listen on spotify, it's pretty damn good!

EDIT: His version of Times Like These is brilliant too

Edited by Lifer

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='476347' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:53 PM']They used to be quite good I think, would never class them as Punk. They are to Punk what Linkin Park are to Metal a watered down version for the masses.[/quote]
+1

When he released it back in 1975, Bowie called his Young Americans album 'perpetual, plastic soul'. To me, that description can be adapted really well for bands like Green Day who I've always thought of as 'perpetual, plastic punk'..

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='476224' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:53 PM']There.... I've said it!!![/quote]

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='476231' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:58 PM']'Course you do. They're rubbish.

Grown men dressing like 14 year old skateboarders singing about "high-school".

How very punk.[/quote]

THANK YOU!

I've hated them since 1993. As far as I'm concerned, they undid all the good work that grunge did across all genres. Look at all the good albums that came out in '91, '92 and '93. Green Day are so f***ing '80s.

[quote name='The Funk' post='476443' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:20 PM']THANK YOU!

I've hated them since 1993. As far as I'm concerned, they undid all the [b]good work that grunge did across all genres[/b]. Look at all the good albums that came out in '91, '92 and '93. Green Day are so f***ing '80s.[/quote]

Really?!?!?!?

Yeah, that's what I think. Around that time, Lenny Kravitz also came out with a song called [i]Rock n' Roll Is Dead[/i], which was kinda true but also total sh*t.That period was the beginning of the end and nothing sums that up like [i]Dookie[/i]. Wikipedia tells me that a lot of the punk rock community at the time accused Green Day of selling out with that record.

Having said all that, I think Tre Cool is a great stage name and he's quite an entertaining drummer.

As someone who grew up a mixture of green day / offspring / nirvana / metallica / pearl jam in the early mid nineties bla bla bla etc etc etc. I have to disagree.

Green day had the pop punk stuff down and the bass on the Insomniac album is great especially "Stuart and the Ave."

Seems to me that since they release the last few albums it has become uncool to like green day.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='476264' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:27 PM']That's what i f***ing meant. They do suck now obviously not just because they're sellouts but WHY they're sellouts which is the fact that they just pump out poppy sh*t to please the masses.[/quote]

Right, we'd all turn that gig down in preference to playing for £200 in a pub wouldn't we? I quite like them and can't blame them for wanting to make loads of dosh.

[quote name='The Funk' post='476443' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:20 PM']THANK YOU!

I've hated them since 1993. As far as I'm concerned, they undid all the good work that grunge did across all genres. Look at all the good albums that came out in '91, '92 and '93. Green Day are so f***ing '80s.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='jim_bass' post='476532' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:40 PM']Seems to me that since they release the last few albums it has become uncool to like green day.[/quote]

Yup. Happens with every niche band who outgrows the niche. "Oh they sold out", yadda yadda yadda. Same with the Chilis and a billion others. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Threads like this are funny. I used to be like this when I was about 14. What do I hate now? Racism, bigotry, cruelty, war, etc etc. If you don't like a band don't listen to them. Simple as. Im sure they won't lose sleep over it, and neither should you.

BTW, if anyone can tell me exactly how to write music that will [i]without fail[/i] sell millions of records I'd like to hear from you....on 2nd thoughts, don't bother as you're obviously deluded. :)