Why become a member? ×

I hate Green Day

thepurpleblob

[quote name='alexclaber' post='476670' date='May 1 2009, 08:46 AM']I loved Dookie and like American Idiot. I think they have a knack for a catchy tune and a great rhythm section especially the energy coming from the kit.

I bet more people under 25 (that aren't bass players) would take Californication - that's the album that turned them from big to monolithic. I do miss those days when I could really enjoy listening to BSSM - sadly it's so ingrained in me that I think it's passed saturation point. Not that I don't enjoy it now but I just know it too well.

Alex[/quote]

I feel the same about Floyd's Wish You Were Here. FWIW I love both BSSM and Californication.

[quote name='nick' post='477060' date='May 1 2009, 02:39 PM']Hence, my previous comment regarding pit of lime disposal method.

+1 on all the above.
They truly are cringeworthy, excelling in tastelessness in all areas. Personally can't really relate to mentions of sell-outs etc, as for me they've always peddled sh*te - probably one of my all time most hated bands.

And, as for anyone mentioning this bunch of turds in the same breath as The Clash & The Skids; now that's unforgiveable.

Really glad this thread was started.... I really do hate Green Day! :)[/quote]
Rest my case. I'd take 'em over the Clash anyday; never thought they were a punk band either, just a pub rock band. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4000

[quote name='The Funk' post='476443' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:20 PM']THANK YOU!

I've hated them since 1993. As far as I'm concerned, they undid all the good work that grunge did across all genres. Look at all the good albums that came out in '91, '92 and '93. Green Day are so f***ing '80s.[/quote]

Grunge is possibly one of the worst things that has happened to music in living memory. What did grunge give us? Incredibly boring music, a celebration of being mediocre and the worst thing, the most unforgivable of all things...

Creed.

Edit: BBC will like this - I'm not a big Oasis fan myself, but this Noel Gallagher quote about grunge is so brilliant it nearly made me piss myself:

[quote name='"Noel Gallagher"']"Live Forever" "was written in the middle of grunge and all that, and I remember Nirvana had a tune called 'I Hate Myself and I Want to Die,' and I was like . . . 'Well, I'm not f***ing having that.' As much as I f***ing like him [Cobain] and all that sh*t, I'm not having that. I can't have people like that coming over here, on smack, f***ing saying that they hate themselves and they wanna die. That's f***ing rubbish."[/quote]

Edited by Wil

...I really like Green Day...I think they have catchy hooks and it's easy and upbeat music that puts a smile on my face :)

That said, they're never going to exactly push musical boundries, but then again they've perfected what they do to a fine art. And I loved Nimrod, loved all their albums actually :rolleyes: . Also if we're going to dislike people because they play root notes fast then we are going to knock out huge swathes of music lol...

I wouldn't call myself a fan but I've always liked them. Used to do Basket Case with my covers band half a lifetime ago, that was lots of fun to play & sing, also saw them at a festival a few years ago - very solid & entertaining live band.

And I'm quite delighted by the irony of a band whose career's based on 3 minute pop songs being accused of "selling out" when their biggest album's a concept album which contains a bunch of 8 & 9 minute tracks! Perhaps not the most obvious route to crossover mainstream success...

Jon.

[quote name='Hamster' post='477423' date='May 2 2009, 12:00 AM']Billie Joe is no Mozart but I really like Green Day.

I think sometimes we can get so involved in the esoterica of music that we miss the basic fun of it, and I like to basically have fun! :)[/quote]

exactly! :rolleyes:

We are off to see them to have fun :D

These threads are so predictable on bass chat, some of the comments display so much hatred, it's only music and these guys, love em or hate em, have done a failry good job as far as some poeple are concerned, just look at album and ticket sales.

My daughter bought tickets yesterday, my mrs had a dig at me for not buying any!! I was saving my $$ for pearl jam tickets next week, that didn't go down too well.

.....I'm off to listen to some spandau ballet!

T