Why become a member? ×

I hate Green Day

thepurpleblob

[quote name='Lifer' post='476258' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:24 PM']Nimrod was the turning point, everything before then is awesome. So there.

And it's not because they got successful, it's because their sound changed (as many bands do over the years, sometimes for the better, sometimes not)[/quote]

That's what i f***ing meant. They do suck now obviously not just because they're sellouts but WHY they're sellouts which is the fact that they just pump out poppy sh*t to please the masses.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='476250' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:20 PM']Nah, they've always been sh*t.[/quote]

Ah well, each to their own. I like 'em. I prefer 'em Dookie period (an album I love) but I still think they're good. See, to me they're kind of like (as Flea has said) an oldies pop band, but with guitars. I'm quite happy with that, as that's what my band is too, and I write all the material. In fact to be honest (Prog aside) guitar driven pop has always been my thing. Loved the Vapors, loved the Buzzcocks, loved the Undertones etc etc etc. I know they were punk at the time, but they sound like pop to me.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Lifer' post='476258' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:24 PM']Nimrod was the turning point, everything before then is awesome. So there.

And it's not because they got successful, it's because their sound changed (as many bands do over the years, sometimes for the better, sometimes not)[/quote]

So far as I'm concerned I'm quite happy for bands to change their sound over time, even if I end up not liking them. If someone told me what I should be sounding like I'd tell them to go shove themselves; it's entirely up to the band.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='476264' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:27 PM']That's what i f***ing meant. They do suck now obviously not just because they're sellouts but WHY they're sellouts which is the fact that they just pump out poppy sh*t to please the masses.[/quote]

:) Ever thought they may just be pleasing themselves? Did you know Captain Sensible loves ABBA, the Carpenters and Chicago? Which reminds me, the Damned were awesome too.

My objection is pure prejudice... we cover Basket Case and American Idiot. I hate those songs... I know absolutely nothing about them except everything I've heard sounds dreadful. I seem to remember they covered "The Saints are Coming" which was just rude!!

I think this is my repost to the current thread about songs that are easy and you like to play - this is about songs that are easy that I hate to play :) You can add "I Fought the Law" to that list and, before you say anything, I'm a big Clash fan. Nasty bass line on that though.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I quite like Greenday, and they always seen to release an engertic but simple song as the first from an album.

I'm waiting to see the other tracks on the new one before slating it, American Idiot was a very good album. Even the title track of that album lyrically has a message, even if it's a simplish song.

Well, by definition, punk music requires anger, or at least a hefty dose of pissed-offness. Green Day had that back in the day, then they got rich.

Rich > comfort > complacency > lack of pissed-offness.

They've got money, big houses and gold discs galore. What do they have to be pissed off about anymore?

Saw 'em a few years ago when I 1st got cable. MTV used to keep showing this outdoor gig .
I found that slightly amateurish. I then saw them on TV at the Woodstock festival and thought they were rubbish.

I bought single ''When I Come around'' and think that's really good.

When I did a birthday gig a few years back ,we did'' basket case''. Great song that most cover bands do now as standard.

About 3 years ago while playing my cds at work, colleague put American idiot on .
I now have it,and think it's really good.

I think that they are all very talented ,and also like the look of MD'S bass.

Talking about bands that could be hated:NINE INCH NAILS !! More meat on an oxo cube, they sound more like Human League
when they should be more like Ministry!