Why become a member? ×

I hate Green Day

thepurpleblob

[quote name='4000' post='476595' date='May 1 2009, 12:54 AM']Yup. Happens with every niche band who outgrows the niche. "Oh they sold out", yadda yadda yadda. Same with the Chilis and a billion others. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.[/quote]

It's not because the Chilis are actually crap now, then?

I don't know whether it's because they grew up or because they stopped taking all the drugs, but my god their music is dull now.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='476606' date='May 1 2009, 01:42 AM']It's not because the Chilis are actually crap now, then?

I don't know whether it's because they grew up or because they stopped taking all the drugs, but my god their music is dull now.[/quote]

As always, this is just a matter of personal taste. You might find their music dull, millions obviously don't. It baffles me when people think that because [i]they[/i] don't like something it must be bad.

[quote name='4000' post='476642' date='May 1 2009, 08:12 AM']As always, this is just a matter of personal taste. You might find their music dull, millions obviously don't. It baffles me when people think that because [i]they[/i] don't like something it must be bad.[/quote]

Well, I think given a choice of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik or Californication to take to a desert island, most people would pick the former. And the rest would be on a desert island with a really boring record.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='476661' date='May 1 2009, 08:38 AM']I prefer [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Edit"]Dean Gray[/url][/quote]

that be the definitive mashup...

anyway... it's now fashionable to hate Green Day purely because they've been around for so long and have become part of the "establishment"...

and as for grown men dressing up like 14 year old schoolboys... where does that put AC DC?

I loved Dookie and like American Idiot. I think they have a knack for a catchy tune and a great rhythm section especially the energy coming from the kit.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='476660' date='May 1 2009, 08:33 AM']Well, I think given a choice of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik or Californication to take to a desert island, most people would pick the former.[/quote]

I bet more people under 25 (that aren't bass players) would take Californication - that's the album that turned them from big to monolithic. I do miss those days when I could really enjoy listening to BSSM - sadly it's so ingrained in me that I think it's passed saturation point. Not that I don't enjoy it now but I just know it too well.

Alex

I only know the singles that have been in the charts, but I pretty much like all of them. And as mine is the most important opinion I say that most of you are talking out of your arse here (IMH*)

[note: and my opinion is the most important one]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='476660' date='May 1 2009, 08:33 AM']Well, I think given a choice of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik or Californication to take to a desert island, most people would pick the former. And the rest would be on a desert island with a really boring record.[/quote]

I'd pick BSSM but I still think Californication is a good album. Since then they've been a bit nondescript.

[quote name='4000' post='476595' date='May 1 2009, 12:54 AM']Yup. Happens with every niche band who outgrows the niche. "Oh they sold out", yadda yadda yadda. Same with the Chilis and a billion others. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Threads like this are funny. I used to be like this when I was about 14. What do I hate now? Racism, bigotry, cruelty, war, etc etc. If you don't like a band don't listen to them. Simple as. Im sure they won't lose sleep over it, and neither should you.[/quote]

But the Red Hot Halapeno Brothers are also rubbish, always have been. Nothing to do with selling out.

Fortunately, racism, bigotry, cruelty and war don't effect me, but Green Day do. Occasionally I listen to the radio (only in the car - no CD player) and occassionally Green Day are played. This means I have to change radio station, which takes effort. Effort takes energy, gained through eating food. The way I see it, skateboarding tossers like Green Day owe me a small refund on my food bill each month.

That's why I think they should probably be killed.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='476726' date='May 1 2009, 09:47 AM']But the Red Hot Halapeno Brothers are also rubbish, always have been. Nothing to do with selling out.

Fortunately, racism, bigotry, cruelty and war don't effect me, but Green Day do. Occasionally I listen to the radio (only in the car - no CD player) and occassionally Green Day are played. This means I have to change radio station, which takes effort. Effort takes energy, gained through eating food. The way I see it, skateboarding tossers like Green Day owe me a small refund on my food bill each month.

That's why I think they should probably be killed.[/quote]

I agree, although I can pretty much ignore Greenday, racism and bigotry are often responsible for putting a smile on my face, whereas Greenday pretty much never do.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='476726' date='May 1 2009, 09:47 AM']But the Red Hot Halapeno Brothers are also rubbish, always have been. Nothing to do with selling out.

Hence, my previous comment regarding pit of lime disposal method.

+1 on all the above.
They truly are cringeworthy, excelling in tastelessness in all areas. Personally can't really relate to mentions of sell-outs etc, as for me they've always peddled sh*te - probably one of my all time most hated bands.

And, as for anyone mentioning this bunch of turds in the same breath as The Clash & The Skids; now that's unforgiveable.

Really glad this thread was started.... I really do hate Green Day! :)

I'd never go see them and what I have in my collection have just been downloaded. Not my fave band. However, I was asked to learn Holiday from American Idiot for an audition and quite enjoyed doing so, definitely not all root notes.

Dookie was definately one of my formative albums, and they certainly were very much DIY punk band back in the day. I don't much care for their recent stuff, but fair play to 'em. I wouldn't call them sell outs, just a successful band that know how to play the game.

Well in this house we don't really care what genre they do or don't fall under or whether they appear to have 'sold out' or not :)

We think they are fun, so much so that I shall be conserving energy for a while to enable me to jump up and down and have lots more fun when we go and see them in October :D :rolleyes:

I don't hate Green Day. Dookie pretty much got me into all the good 90's punk bands like The Descendents, Screeching Weasel, Crimpshine, Mr T Experience etc. They are totally a different band these days I agree but give me Kerplunk over any of Nirvanas back catalogue any day of the week.

[quote name='Beefy' post='477159' date='May 1 2009, 04:53 PM']I don't hate Green Day. Dookie pretty much got me into all the good 90's punk bands like The Descendents, Screeching Weasel, Crimpshine, Mr T Experience etc. They are totally a different band these days I agree but give me Kerplunk over any of Nirvanas back catalogue any day of the week.[/quote]

Ten four! Give me the ebola virus over any of Nirvana's back catalogue, for that matter.

See for me, first in the pot would be Liam Gallagher.... :)