Why become a member? ×

What Basslines make you happy to play?

How1

They don’t have to be the ‘best’ or most technical, just lines/songs you like playing.

A few random ones for me I’ve been playing recently are Paranoid (Black Sabbath), Nowhere to Run (Martha Reeves), Where Eagles Dare (Iron Maiden), Higher Ground (Chilis), Bombtrack (RATM), I’ll Take You There (Staple Singers), I wish (Stevie Wonder).

Edited by How1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Wilton Felder’s bass line on Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow by Joni Mitchell is lovely to play.

Cool, groovy, slinky and perfect. There’s also a little motif/phrase up towards the dusty end that is great fun.

I’ve never heard that song. I’ve just put it on 👍

There goes my heart…the mavericks 

took a while but an old mate “tonksy” did a dep with us and having completed a tour with Raul Malo showed us what for. Made sense all of a sudden.

and of course, achy breaky heart. Say no more.

Another Felder bass line, 'I Wan't You Back' is a joy to play.

Also Stuart Zender's 'Too Young to Die' line  is also one that always makes me smile.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

Ain't no mountain

I wish

Disco inferno

Get lucky (our space version)

A night in Tunisia

Moanin'/So what mixmash

All the things you are (check Peruchin's version!)

confession: I like playing Love boat theme

I play with ceilidh bands from time to time for weddings etc. I once managed to slide the Good Times bassline underneath an Irish reel (The Dunmore Lasses if I remember rightly) and I very much enjoyed that and I wanted to find other classic disco basslines that would suit with trad tunes but nothing has come to mind just yet...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not the official bass line, but the one I'm playing on our take of Sheryl Crow's version of Sweet Child of Mine makes me smile. I much prefer her version to the original.  I'm combining the bass part with elements of the guitar melody and links I've made up myself into a busy bass part that works with our arrangement. I even get to play the bass melody from the start of the GnR version. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

I play with ceilidh bands from time to time for weddings etc. I once managed to slide the Good Times bassline underneath an Irish reel (The Dunmore Lasses if I remember rightly) and I very much enjoyed that and I wanted to find other classic disco basslines that would suit with trad tunes but nothing has come to mind just yet...

When I played bass in a duo, years ago, I got so bored with the set that I used to try and get Hawkwind baselines in there. In particular, the 'Angels of Death' riff works nicely with the instrumental bit of You Really Got Me and the 'Hey hey hey hey' bit of Treat Her Right. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Three Little Birds- Bob Marley is a nice one to play now and again, always brings a smile 

Ooh, deffo. That’ll get added to the playlist. One for the first reggae basslines I ever learned that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Not the official bass line, but the one I'm playing on our take of Sheryl Crow's version of Sweet Child of Mine makes me smile. I much prefer her version to the original.  I'm combining the bass part with elements of the guitar melody and links I've made up myself into a busy bass part that works with our arrangement. I even get to play the bass melody from the start of the GnR version. 

That’s a good point that. There’s nowt wrong with making something your own - it’s the basis of musical evolution.

• Like 1

Good Times - Chic/Bernard Edwards

I Want Your Love - Chic/Bernard Edwards

She's A Real Mama Jama - Carl Carlton

Dont Look Any Further - Dennis Edwards

Act Like You Know - Fat Larry's Band

Keep my smiling at the moment

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, How1 said:

Ooh, deffo. That’ll get added to the playlist. One for the first reggae basslines I ever learned that.

Nice one 👍,  it’s fairly straightforward and it’s got a great feel to it