Why become a member? ×

Help The Dood keep his 7 string Shuker.

bubinga5

Feels like there's some support for this. 

What is the next step to actually getting the money to @Dood?

Questions though. What if we all chip in and raise the required funds. How much are we talking about?

Are we "buying" the bass from Dan and leaving it with him on permanent loan?

Could Dan still sell the bass in the future or does the Shuker then belong to the BC collective and can't be sold - a sort of trust? 

I want to clarify otherwise we're just lending/ giving Dan money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Feels like there's some support for this. 

What is the next step to actually getting the money to @Dood?

Questions though. What if we all chip in and raise the required funds. How much are we talking about?

Are we "buying" the bass from Dan and leaving it with him on permanent loan?

Could Dan still sell the bass in the future or does the Shuker then belong to the BC collective and can't be sold - a sort of trust? 

I want to clarify otherwise we're just lending/ giving Dan money. 

I would suggest that if you donate money, that’s the easiest thing to do. 

Charity has no strings so he’d be free to sell the bass should he wish.

• Like 3

I still don’t have context.

what’s he selling his bass for? A one-off payment? To fill a deficit? To pay for a holiday?

Technically you’re not covering the cost of the bass, your donating to cover the cost of whatever the bass was going to cover? And without context I can’t do it? What if it’s to cover a mortgage payment and then next month there’s another collection? Solving the root of the problem is going to help more than throwing cash at something?  

Also please don’t read this as “I don’t care” I genuinely sympathise with everyone who’s in a predicament financially at the moment, the cost of living is a joke at the moment, my household has had to make a lot of changes too! It does suck. 

Edited by spacecowboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spacecowboy said:

I still don’t have context.

what’s he selling his bass for? A one-off payment? To fill a deficit? To pay for a holiday?

Technically you’re not covering the cost of the bass, your donating to cover the cost of whatever the bass was going to cover? And without context I can’t do it? What if it’s to cover a mortgage payment and then next month there’s another collection? Solving the root of the problem is going to help more than throwing cash at something?  

Also please don’t read this as “I don’t care” I genuinely sympathise with everyone who’s in a predicament financially at the moment, the cost of living is a joke at the moment, my household has had to make a lot of changes too! It does suck. 

If someone can just post the FB link then everyone will have all the info they need. (I don’t use FB, so can’t)

• Thanks 1

I think, having seen other for sale posts here, Dood is really struggling and has resorted to a bit of a fire sale - and clearing out the accumulated bass gear he rarely uses isn't cutting it - hence the musing that he may seriously have to sell his pride and joy as it's not actually a bass he records/gigs with often enough. But it is obvs his most favouritest inanimate object.  The life of a freelancer is a precarious one, especially in a hobby industry where consumers may cut their spending.

And yes, his woes in no way lessen other people's. I'm choosing (hah, choosing!) to move house this summer, to a vastly more pricey area, and both my cars are indicating their terminal weariness. Life sucks vis a vis money for 99.5% of us.

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 1

It's no secret that I had to sell up everything a handful of years ago, all the basses, all the gear, everything, just to pay the bills. It's only been in the last year or so that I've been able to start assembling a modest group of instruments. It's a very depressing place to be, when one of the things that makes your life better has to go to pay the rent, and actually, at the end of it all, it made no difference really, selling anything, it just delayed the inevitable. I should have at least kept a couple of the basses.... I really miss my Stingrays.....

All I can say, is that from personal experience, selling you prized possessions to pay bills isn't worth it. Unless you have a collection of Foderas to sell, that will really make a financial difference, don't do it...  it's not worth it.

That said.... I'll be at the front of the line to help, if I can, any brother, or sister, who needs the help.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Rayman said:

It's no secret that I had to sell up everything a handful of years ago, all the basses, all the gear, everything, just to pay the bills. It's only been in the last year or so that I've been able to start assembling a modest group of instruments. It's a very depressing place to be, when one of the things that makes your life better has to go to pay the rent, and actually, at the end of it all, it made no difference really, selling anything, it just delayed the inevitable. I should have at least kept a couple of the basses.... I really miss my Stingrays.....

All I can say, is that from personal experience, selling you prized possessions to pay bills isn't worth it. Unless you have a collection of Foderas to sell, that will really make a financial difference, don't do it...  it's not worth it.

That said.... I'll be at the front of the line to help, if I can, any brother, or sister, who needs the help.

Amen to all this. When my business was struggling I went to work on a friends fish shop. Descaling and gutting fish wasn’t easy, but meant I could keep some basses in house. Had to sell my 64 jazz though (on here, incidentally) which sorted me out. Guess it was worth it, but I do miss that bass!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Amen to all this. When my business was struggling I went to work on a friends fish shop. Descaling and gutting fish wasn’t easy, but meant I could keep some basses in house. Had to sell my 64 jazz though (on here, incidentally) which sorted me out. Guess it was worth it, but I do miss that bass!

I assume it's the bass you miss and not the bass? 😉

• Haha 1

Dear Basschat,

I know that I'm much better at talking about anything but myself, so please forgive the rather awkward reply. Had it have been a thread about my bass, then sure, I could talk all day about it.

I'll keep this short and sweet for now. Due to ongoing (long term) circumstances out of my control indeed I am struggling. I'm not under any illusions I know that many of us are. So like many, I've sought to try to make ends meet as Daz39 has said by selling my work tools. I wish I could say that I did have piles of unused gear that I have accumulated, but the reality is that I only have a few items left that I am not using before we dip in to the kit I use every day. 

Andrew, you are amazing and making such a post has been really touching and the replies have also left me feeling slightly less invisible than I have been this last year or so. Thank you, really.

I'm not really sure how to respond. In some ways it feels unfair that I am deserving of money to help me when I know there are others out there who are in dire circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I would kill for a lottery win!

So, whilst I try to figure things out, I may ask for your help another way. I do work hard. I have income streams, so it's not as if I am sat doing nothing about it. I don't drink, smoke, go out much, nor have I been on any sort of holiday for years. 😔

There's obviously more to this that I feel uneasy about airing in public, sorry if it all sounds a little cryptic, but thank you for the kind and thoughtful words. 

• Like 13

I'm not in a position to help financially buddy, I think we're all feeling it horrifically at the moment, but if there is anything else the forum collective can do then happy to help 🖤

• Like 1

@Dood Could it be worthy if we all watch your (to me at least) excellent reviews on your YouTube channel ?

Do you get some income from the online bass magazines you make the videos for if we all watch them too ?

Just in case, here is the link to most of @Dood reviews: 

Maybe a mod could highlight this excellent thread and put it on top.

Calling @ped for this...

4 hours ago, Daz39 said:

Or Just for Men!

You get to a point where its more distinguished looking to go grey/white. I speak from experience.

Well that's what my wife tells me. :laugh1:

The beard has long gone and was just a trial during lockdowns to see how it looked.

DaveWeetrimtotidyup.thumb.jpg.6f86649d27494ef2d38bfd249b7c15ed.jpg

29 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You get to a point where its more distinguished looking to go grey/white. I speak from experience.

The beard has long gone and was just a trial during lockdowns to see how it looked.

Oh I hear you. my once blonde hair is now sort of brown, sort of not much there, and my stubble is more salt than pepper now.

Anyway @Dood's not that old - he just lives in East Angular.

Edited by Daz39
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oh I hear you. my once blonde hair is now sort of brown, sort of not much there, and my stubble is more salt than pepper now.

Anyway - @Dood is only prematurely aged from living in Eastern Angular.

Edited by Daz39
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

Anyway @Dood's not that old - he just lives in East Angular.

Ouch !!!! i'm only 31. its the Scottish sun that's bleached the blondeness out of my hair :biggrin:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1