Why become a member? ×

High quality Gig bags for headless basses?

Kev

What are people using?

Imagine there are a good few guitar cases that'll do the job but many don't have the neck/body proportions right for obvious reasons.  Bass cases just seem a waste of space!

Bingo!

My Leduc HMP 624 has 104x32 cm overall dimensions, so it fits in a Mono Stleath or Sleeve gig bag according to their internal dimensions at 106.7x38.1 cm.

The Mono Vertigo would even be better at 105.4x36.8 cm, but then better check if your headless Leduc is not a bit longer than mine.

Edited by Hellzero
Missing word
  • Thanks 1

For cricket-bat style basses, there are two grades of Warwick padded bag by Rockbass. The cheaper has thinner soft padding and failed to protect my bass when it slid out of the car boot.

The replacement bag was a Ritter, better, stiffer padding but it has very small pockets - none big enough to hold A4 chord sheets.

David

I use a Fusion Urban guitar gig bag for a Status SII. It’s a high quality bag with an inner ‘collar’ that holds the instrument firmly in place. Protection is good all round and the bag has a number of useful features (and some gimmicks that are fairly pointless add-ons for me). Not cheap at over £200 but a durable and well-padded bag that should fit many headless basses:

https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/guitar-and-bass-gig-bags/products/urban-electric-guitar-gig-bag

Thanks for suggestions all.

Anyone any experience with the Gator Pro-Go guitar bag?  Looks nice, priced well and seems to have an interior length of just shy of 43 inches?

EDIT: I have since found at least two other internal lengths quoted, one of which is as little as 1003mm, so not inclined to trust this one now...

Edited by Kev

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Anyone any experience with the Gator Pro-Go guitar bag?  Looks nice, priced well and seems to have an interior length of just shy of 43 inches?

EDIT: I have since found at least two other internal lengths quoted, one of which is as little as 1003mm, so not inclined to trust this one now...

Was about to answer that I also found a 1003 mm interior length.

That said, it's a very good quality gig bag. A friend of mine uses a bass model for his Fodera, and has never had a single problem and he travels a lot...

6 hours ago, Kev said:

I use an Ibanez EHB1505 and it fits in the guitar Pro Go with the removable base padding still in. It's tight but not so tight that it puts strain on the neck. I think with a longer headless you'd have to remove that extra padding which just velcros off.

They did redesign the bag not so long ago (changed the straps and rain cover) so maybe that accounts for the different sizes? I'll measure mine and post it here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The EHB1505 is about 102cm, multiscale version will be longer. With the overall length and the elongated upper horn it's about the max I'd want to put in the Pro Go with the extra padding but it does fit nicely, combined with the neck support it's safe in there.

EHB.jpg

Cheers for that, I auto assumed MS.  Looking at that pic, I'd actually say mine was longer, and I'd be loathed to use it without the padding (really like extra protection at the bottom, the Mono Vertigo is a dream).  Hmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Leduc HMP 624 stands for Headless Master Piece 6 strings 24 frets, so the dimensions are almost the same as yours. 😉

YeahI wasn't sure if my "headstock" was a little bit longer, but guess it'd be fairly negligible.

Perhaps I should hunt out somewhere who has the Progo in stock, rather than the PITA of buying and returning if its no good.

8 hours ago, Kev said:

Perhaps I should hunt out somewhere who has the Progo in stock, rather than the PITA of buying and returning if its no good.

That's certainly the best idea. 😉

Edited by Hellzero

My Seis (an Original and a Flamboyant) both fit into a Thomann E-guitar gigbag - https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_eguitar_br.htm (not at the same time). The only issue is that it has reinforcement where a single strap button would normally be, so the dual strap buttons have worn through. Loads of pocket size for straps, Zoom MS-60B plus wallwart, cables, notes, etc. It depends on what you're protecting the bass from - this stops the rain getting on them and protects against scratches and light impacts, and the bass always goes on top of everything else.

There's also a Rockbag for cricket bat basses - https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_rb_20601b_steinberger_bass_bag.htm. I haven't got any experience of that as I just use the original bag with my Hohner.

I carry my headless Status S2 Classic in a Mono M80 guitar flightbag (this one) and it's perfect. It's rigid, incredibly well padded, fits nicely and the padding in the bottom feels like it will withstand the dual lower strap buttons of my Status basses. 

I also have a Mono Guitar Sleeve and have tried fitting my Status 4-string in there too, but the way the Guitar Sleeve opens (from the top) doesn't accommodate lefty basses very well because the longer of the two horns goes in first. It might work for a righty - but the flat design of the Guitar Sleeve without sidewalls means there's some stress on the control knobs when moving in and out and I'm not too keen on that. 

On 19/04/2023 at 15:53, fretmeister said:

Has anyone tried the Mono Sleeve guitar version for a shortie?

I have, my Atelier Z Baby Z-4J (Mustang-shaped and -sized) doesn't fit. It does (barely) fit my M80. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I went with the Mono Vertigo guitar case and can confirm it's a spot on fit for my Leduc!

My Leduc measures 105cm long and it still has a teeny bit of room to spare at the top, so we'll worth considering for shorties/headless basses of a similar length.