Why become a member? ×

What's in a name?

snorkie635

Always find some of the 'names' on the forum entertaining. What's the reason for your chosen moniker? Mine comes via the Banana Splits TV show from the 60's, where one of the four main characters was called Snork. I believe the other three were Fleagle, Beagle and Dingo, but no doubt, someone better informed will correct me on that one. I always thought the name 'Snork' was great and then went on to have a succession if boxer dogs - anyone who has owned/does own that breed, will know what I mean when I say they make a 'snorking' sound due to their short muzzles. Of course, they were all called Snorkie, hence my name here. The '635' came from the combination on my old bike lock. Look forward to hearing what created your handle folks.🙏

I suppose I need to provide at least one photo of Snorkie, mid-snork. 🫣

IMG_2159.jpeg

• Like 3

I have the same username across a few forums, fora?.  So back when I joined my first one, over 20 years ago, I wanted Loki as my username. But that was taken.
So I then thought of Bartleby, as in Bartleby and Loki from the film Dogma. But being dyslexic I didn't spot my typo, until someone on the forum pointed it out.

Not particularly entertaining, I know.

• Like 2

There is a thread from a few years back that asked this very question. 

But in answer to this thread, it's the first 2 letters of my surname and my instrument of choice, not anything to do with easy. I wish I hadn't chosen that as a username now because of that confusion.

• Like 2

Off the top of my head the Banana Splits were:

Fleagle.

Bingo.

Drooper.

And SNORK!

Snork is an objectively awesome name for a pet, in the event I ever have another it'll be a toss up between that, Sprocket and Bloop. 👍

• Haha 1

In 1997 I used to spend a lot of time on a chat program called Palace, where you had an avatar and could move around in a room, talking with other people using speech bubbles. One day I changed my avatar to a picture of a prawn, in a welly, lying in a little bed, and changed my name (which you could do at any time) to KingPrawn. Then I changed my avatar again and changed my name to what it is now. I figured it would suit me, me being big, round and hairy…

I once did a vanity search and found a site that had collected names from various places around the internet and ranked them, and I came third! Though, first and second place went to the people that made the list… 

I even once got a mention in PC Gamer magazine for something I had said on their original forum. 

I am known by this name wherever I am online. I even have friends, that I know in real life (after initially meeting online), that know me as this, though they tend to shorten it to KB.

I have had some very interesting reactions from parcel delivery people…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

In 1997 I used to spend a lot of time on a chat program called Palace, where you had an avatar and could move around in a room, talking with other people using speech bubbles. One day I changed my avatar to a picture of a prawn, in a welly, lying in a little bed, and changed my name (which you could do at any time) to KingPrawn. Then I changed my avatar again and changed my name to what it is now. I figured it would suit me, me being big, round and hairy…

I once did a vanity search and found a site that had collected names from various places around the internet and ranked them, and I came third! Though, first and second place went to the people that made the list… 

I even once got a mention in PC Gamer magazine for something I had said on their original forum. 

I am known by this name wherever I am online. I even have friends, that I know in real life (after initially meeting online), that know me as this, though they tend to shorten it to KB.

I have to say King Bollock is indeed a name to conjour with & inspire ! 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I have to say King Bollock is indeed a name to conjour with & inspire ! 👍

Once, in about 2000, I organised a forum meet-up in Stratford-upon-Avon. We arranged to meet at the train station. We were in our old, red, L300, so stood out. As we were driving around the car park, we suddenly hear, as loud as you like “The Royal Bollocks, I presume?!” echoing right across the whole car park!

And how’s this for a claim to fame (it’s not, that’s how it is…)… The bloke that shouted that, was a fairly high ranking copper, who later got in the news after he mentioned, online somewhere, weeing on Margret Thatcher’s grave, just after she had died. He was promptly sacked.

Edited by KingBollock
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KingBollock said:

Loving these responses BTW 😂

• Haha 1

I was once described as "the sort of scum that would eat roadkill".  I decided I quite liked that, and decided to just wear it.  It was pointed out that Owen Roadkill didn't sound very rock 'n' roll, and Jack was suggested as an alternative.  I've used it on every forum I've ever been on.

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jackroadkill said:

I was once described as "the sort of scum that would eat roadkill".  I decided I quite liked that, and decided to just wear it.  It was pointed out that Owen Roadkill didn't sound very rock 'n' roll, and Jack was suggested as an alternative.  I've used it on every forum I've ever been on.

Excellent!

• Like 1

I play 5-string basses.

The basses I play are all tuned GDAEB (I always say it this way, I know a lot of others go lowest string first).

This is a bass forum.

I figured it just makes sense.

Apologies for the lack of interesting story.

Mark

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Oh I don't know about that... "Owen Roadkill" is more interesting, it says kind of twisted psycho character in an apocalyptic road movie type malarkey ... 😁

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

was called Snork

I can’t not say it, it was ‘Snorky’ my ocd kicked in 😄

my name is purely a matter of the first name that was accepted that wasn’t taken! 

Edited by Bunion