Why become a member? ×

USB Cable

stewblack

Trying to connect my Boss Core to a windows machine and failing, I began to wonder if the quality of usb cable might have any significance. 

I'll buy a new one I thought. But how the hell can I tell a quality cable from a crap one?

Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Trying to connect my Boss Core to a windows machine and failing, I began to wonder if the quality of usb cable might have any significance. 

I'll buy a new one I thought. But how the hell can I tell a quality cable from a crap one?

Any ideas?

Do you have the correct drivers installed for the DAW you’re using? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Just a usb cable will not work. If You want a quality usb connection buy something like Scarlet focusrite.

Don't think thats correct.

It is a midi audio interface as well as a stomp fx box.

Deffo check you have the right drivers installed

unusual for a USB cable not to work but its possible its faulty. Also change the USB hub on the PC if you have more than one.

And if not succesful, try uninstalling the software and reinstalling in a new usb slot.

• Like 4

I note that the GT-1000 uses a USB micro cable.  If it's the case that the device is not being detected at all, is it possible you are using a cable that is intended for charging only?  Switching to a cable that supports 'data' or 'sync' should make it work.

I'm not saying that's definitely what happening in OP's case, and if he's using the cable that came with the device it seems unlikely, but I thought I'd mention it as it isn't unheard of; e.g. the NUX Mighty Plug operates as a recording interface, but apparently it won't work with the included cable.

Edited by linear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you have anything else that uses micro usb b? If so, see if that will connect to the computer, if it does, it's not the cable.

It's virtually impossible (except for the charging-only variant mentioned previously) to buy a bad USB cable, but some may be more durable than others. 

Edited by jimmyb625
Typo

50 minutes ago, stewblack said:

...Any ideas?

Here's what their manual says...

'Connecting to a Computer
By connecting the GT-1000CORE to a computer via USB, you can
do the following.
USB COMPUTER port
- Transmit and receive digital audio signals between the
computer and the GT-1000CORE
- Edit and manage patches, and display the “GT-1000CORE
Parameter Guide” (PDF) on a computer using the dedicated
software
- Download patches from our dedicated BOSS TONE CENTRAL
website
http://bosstonecentral.com/
* Do not use a micro USB cable that is designed only for
charging a device. Charge-only cables cannot transmit data.
Installing the USB Driver
You must install the USB driver before connecting to a
computer.
Please download the USB driver from the website shown below.
Install this special driver before making a USB connection. For
further details, refer to the Readme.htm file that comes with the
download.
http://www.boss.info/support/
The program you need to use, and the steps you need to take
to install the USB driver will differ depending on your computer
setup, so please carefully read and refer to the Readme.htm file
that comes with the download.'

Thank you for all the replies. I have done all that can be done, the usb cable is a kind of last resort. 

May not seem logical but it's all that's left.

I reset windows on the laptop and that did the trick with the Ampero but not it seems with the Core.

I have definitely had USB cables that worked with some devices - so weren’t just charge-only - but not others. I can only guess that it’s something to do with the impedance or capacitance of the cable and the ability of the non-working devices to drive it, or something. 

1 hour ago, nekomatic said:

I have definitely had USB cables that worked with some devices - so weren’t just charge-only - but not others. I can only guess that it’s something to do with the impedance or capacitance of the cable and the ability of the non-working devices to drive it, or something. 

This echoes my experience 

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Which rather neatly returns me to my original question. 

How does one know one is buying a good quality usb cable? 

Order a Micro-USB Data cable from a reputable source (a shop that sells Boss stuff..?); send it back if it doesn't perform as required. The important part is the specification 'Micro-USB Data cable', though, and should do the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/04/2023 at 13:28, stewblack said:

Any ideas?

Sometimes it's because the USB cable is charge only, so you have to be sure to get a data cable.

Also, sometimes it has to be plugged into the PC itself rather than through a hub.

You also need to be sure you've got the drivers installed. If you go into Device Manager you should be able to see if it's connected but the drivers aren't installed.

On 11/04/2023 at 09:53, nekomatic said:

If the device is powered from the USB cable and the cable has really teeny tiny cores, and the device takes a fair bit of current, the resistance of the cable might bring the supply voltage down enough for the device not to run.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 13:25, paddy109 said:

Stew, if you need a cable picking up from Bath and dropping to MSN just ask.

Paddy

Cheers man

9 minutes ago, tauzero said:

If the device is powered from the USB cable and the cable has really teeny tiny cores, and the device takes a fair bit of current, the resistance of the cable might bring the supply voltage down enough for the device not to run.

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Sometimes it's because the USB cable is charge only, so you have to be sure to get a data cable.

Also, sometimes it has to be plugged into the PC itself rather than through a hub.

You also need to be sure you've got the drivers installed. If you go into Device Manager you should be able to see if it's connected but the drivers aren't installed.

I installed the drivers. The only indication the laptop gave was a standard 'the last device connected has failed' type message. And that only occasionally.

A USB hub is OK so long as it is powered externally and not via the USB bus from the computer.

I had an issue with the Novation LaunchKeys 37 controller keyboard, where it would not work properly form the convenient USB socket on the front of the computer. Attached to one of the USB sockets on the back of one of my monitors (which is essentially a powered hub) it has been fine.