Why become a member? ×

My ‘Only 1 Bass for 3 Months’ Challenge

Chiliwailer

10 minutes ago, neepheid said:

What was it about having multiple basses that you felt liberated from?

Can’t speak for @NJEbut I totally get that. 

I have 3 high quality basses, though often feel it’s overkill for my personal and financial situation, would be ideal to enjoy one bass just like I do one guitar, it’s like that’s anti-liberation to me. 

I get the biggest buzz playing my Ray, so often feel a bit spoilt when I play the others, even though it’s not hard to ‘justify’ them, do I really ‘need’ them? Doubt it. At least it’s safe money in case me and my wife need it, especially the way US prices are going up and up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

I've been on one bass since last July.

At the beginning of last year I noticed a bit of arthritis creeping into my fingers and was considering giving up. Someone suggested I try a medium scale bass and so to test the theory I bought an Ibanez Mezzo 5 string. Total game changer and as a result 2 x ACG's, 3 x Bass Collections, a Bacchus and a VM Squier were sold. 

So I'm now playing the Mezzo, and loving it, exclusively as there ain't owt else.

I've got a Mezzo 5 (and two 4) and they are great basses. Far better than their modest new price suggests. Even if I swap 99% to short scale I will be keeping the 5 string. It's just too good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

What was it about having multiple basses that you felt liberated from?

😄 I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I quite liked not having the option of multiple bases. I just got on with that bass and focussed on playing. I also didn’t have to worry about maintaining multiple basses, buying strings for them, finding space to store them etc. 

I am tempted to add another into rotation though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I've got a Mezzo 5 (and two 4) and they are great basses. Far better than their modest new price suggests. Even if I swap 99% to short scale I will be keeping the 5 string. It's just too good.

I was pleasantly surprised and It's so light and easy to play. Crazy thing is that having played a couple of £3k ACG'S with never a comment from sound engineers, I've had three comment on how good the Mezzo sounds. The last comment at sound check was, "Lush".

I've got the greeny coloured one but am after a black one as although I'm happy being a one bass man, I'd like a backup. The black 5ers are pretty scarce.

I think you're going to find it easy enough to cope. I went for a period of some years with only one bass ...no problems at all. In fact, I've recently downgraded from three to two as I don't like extra instruments laying around that don't get much playing time.

I could never be a collector 😉

• Like 2

The idea and motive behind this is absolutely great.

However I am an absolute bass slut and the thought of one bass to play (however good it is) fills me with terror.

I am down to 8 basses after selling one today, one is pending sold, another is still for sale. This will drag me down to a measly 6, which is a poor show but just about enough variety for my whims.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machines said:

The idea and motive behind this is absolutely great.

However I am an absolute bass slut and the thought of one bass to play (however good it is) fills me with terror.

I am down to 8 basses after selling one today, one is pending sold, another is still for sale. This will drag me down to a measly 6, which is a poor show but just about enough variety for my whims.

And on the Seventh bass, He rested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

IIn fact, I've recently downgraded from three to two as I don't like extra instruments laying around that don't get much playing time.

I hear that 👍

28 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I

I could never be a collector 😉

Yeah me too, well at least until I win big on the Lotto - as you do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I was pleasantly surprised and It's so light and easy to play. Crazy thing is that having played a couple of £3k ACG'S with never a comment from sound engineers, I've had three comment on how good the Mezzo sounds. The last comment at sound check was, "Lush".

I've got the greeny coloured one but am after a black one as although I'm happy being a one bass man, I'd like a backup. The black 5ers are pretty scarce.

Mine is black and is only 7.3lb.

What strings are you using on it? I've got Dunlop medium scale flats at the moment and they have a great old sound but sometimes I want something a little more modern.

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The snag with one bass likely arises when you want a couple (or more) very different sounds for whatever pieces, genres or styles you're playing

What are these 'very different sounds' of which you speak..? o.O

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The snag with one bass likely arises when you want a couple (or more) very different sounds for whatever pieces, genres or styles you're playing

Or setups. I prefer wider string spacing and lower action with slightly more compliant strings for playing mellow tunes with my fingers, and narrower spacing with a bit higher action and tension for digging in on the rock and metal material with a pick, so I'd find it limiting rather than liberating to just use one. If I knew that going forward I only had access to one then I guess I'd have to make it work, but if I knew it was just for a while then I'd keep the Ibanez SR out as I need it for band stuff, and just neglect my fingerstyle playing until I could have my Jazz back. Then have sore fingers for a while.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Yeah, I’ve often thought that too, so am interested in that challenge over the next few months. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'm guessing it's going to be the Stingray really 😁

Yes; the John East preamp with mid sweeps is excellent, and the Empress Bass Compressor can add some nice touches to shape tone. Got an HX Stomp too, but would prefer to stick to one amp setting, so far so good, all in good fun and curiosity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Mine is black and is only 7.3lb.

What strings are you using on it? I've got Dunlop medium scale flats at the moment and they have a great old sound but sometimes I want something a little more modern.

I'm using Newtone strings. They are quite like the d'Addarios that Ibanez fit to the bass as standard, only nicer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJE said:

😄 I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I quite liked not having the option of multiple bases. I just got on with that bass and focussed on playing. I also didn’t have to worry about maintaining multiple basses, buying strings for them, finding space to store them etc. 

I am tempted to add another into rotation though.

I know what you mean - first world problems, right?

It's not something that bothers me, personally - I play a different bass almost every time I pick one up, I've got the room to store them and I only buy strings when the rounds that are on there are proper lifeless - zombie pseudo flats.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, probonopublico said:

I’m about to do this and get rid of everything apart from one bass and one acoustic 6 string. The bass may be the one I’ve had since 1978 but if I saw and played something better it would go. Everything else has been packed away for 4 months. 😬

So it’s been a good few months then pal? Still got that  Jazz Bass? 

Funny thing is, my Ray isn’t even my ‘best’ bass, I just a sentimental fool suppose 😂

• Like 1

I've had up to 7/8 basses at a time. I'm down to two (a Stingray with Flats and a '75 RI Jazz with rounds), but honestly I never pick the Jazz up these days. It is really liberating just being able to pick the bass up and play it. I don't get GAS anymore and am far, far more considered with my bass related purchases. I love being able to focus on the one instrument and really enjoy it for what it is. I still lust over guitars though :)

• Like 1