Why become a member? ×

Whats going on with Fender??

bassjim

So , in my quest to find a decent back up to my 2011 Fender Deluxe jazz bass I just cant seem to find one. The closest so far was one with a maple board but as i really want one with a rosewood finger board the search goes on. 

Searching around, a Fender Ultra comes up, on a  "ahem" second hand things you can buy website, and the price is right, its got a rosewood board, its near me, so off I go and get.

Now isn't this supposed to be Fenders (with the exception of custom shop) best effort??

It played okayish but the action was set up in a " get a taxi to the fretboard stylee". Ok I thought, I can just put the action down, straighten the neck, and should be a winner (these are over 2 grand new!!)

Absolute dog $h*>.  Lower action just a tad = all notes above 10th !!!! fret choke out.  Truss rod wont straighten the neck.  Ive had 300 quid Squires that play and allow better set up than this.

Probably not a new subject here but I though the Fender guys had made an effort to get it all back on track? 

1 hour ago, bassjim said:

Absolute dog $h*>.  Lower action just a tad = all notes above 10th !!!! fret choke out.  Truss rod wont straighten the neck

Sounds to me like there’s more going on with that neck than just a poorly built bass

have you had the neck off to see if it’s been shimmed wrong? 
Is the truss rod maxed out or just spinning? 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 5

All of my recent encounters with fenders have been poor or average at best. They just can’t seem to maintain any real consistency in a lot of the ranges. 

I played one of the Vintera Jazz basses at a big guitar store recently and it was just dreadful, shocking set-up, build was poor and it was just lifeless. I put back after a couple of minutes.

In contrast I played a Lakland PJ which was a similar price and it was an outstanding instrument, resonant, well made, well set up and sounded amazing. I would have loved to have taken it home but I really didn’t like the colour.

I have heard good things about the American Original/Vintage basses though, and the American reissue I played a while ago was a really lovely instrument.

11 hours ago, bassjim said:

So , in my quest to find a decent back up to my 2011 Fender Deluxe jazz bass I just cant seem to find one. The closest so far was one with a maple board but as i really want one with a rosewood finger board the search goes on. 

Searching around, a Fender Ultra comes up, on a  "ahem" second hand things you can buy website, and the price is right, its got a rosewood board, its near me, so off I go and get.

Now isn't this supposed to be Fenders (with the exception of custom shop) best effort??

It played okayish but the action was set up in a " get a taxi to the fretboard stylee". Ok I thought, I can just put the action down, straighten the neck, and should be a winner (these are over 2 grand new!!)

Absolute dog $h*>.  Lower action just a tad = all notes above 10th !!!! fret choke out.  Truss rod wont straighten the neck.  Ive had 300 quid Squires that play and allow better set up than this.

Probably not a new subject here but I though the Fender guys had made an effort to get it all back on track? 

So this was a new instrument or second-hand?

I'm not massively surprised by this based on my experience of selling US Fender over a 10 year period from mid noughties to mid 2010s.  I must say I was under the impression that things had improved since then, and tbh I'm sure they have, but it put me off buying Fender for years. They always seemed well put together, it was the playability and ability to take a setup that was often an issue. I do think they make some great instruments, and I daresay there are lots of great examples out there. Ironically given the reputation from this period, I have a late 70s Jazz that plays fantastically with a great neck that rarely needs any attention🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Elite was absolutely one of the best Fenders version, but it ended for it's high price.

I think they updated it with the ultra , I tried the ultra but preferred my one, I especially like the truss rod adjuster, so simple 

• Like 2

On 07/04/2023 at 20:36, Bunion said:

Sounds to me like there’s more going on with that neck than just a poorly built bass

have you had the neck off to see if it’s been shimmed wrong? 
Is the truss rod maxed out or just spinning? 

1+ to check neck pocket shim.