Why become a member? ×

What difference does a preamp make in a bass?

la bam

Hi all,

I have an active bass and made the mistake of going down the youtube rabbit hole regarding active basses...... bad mistake :)

anywho, I've had active basses before (a sire v7 v2 and a g&l l2000 usa) and I just assumed the bass was the bass and that was it and most of the sound is the pickups. Now I've seen people saying change/upgrade your preamp and itll bring your pickups to life!

So, my questions are:

Does the preamp really change the characteristics of your bass?

Is it worth doing?

What preamps would work well with a pj with dimarzio pickups in?

thanks in advance.

Does the preamp really change the characteristics of your bass? Yes

Is it worth doing? That's down to you, but once you start.....

What preamps would work well with a pj with dimarzio pickups in? That's the rabbit hole.....

I swapped out the stock preamp on my Yamaha RBX6JM as I found it somewhat badly voiced and couldn't use the bass or mid controls without it sounding boxy. The new Delano Sonar 3 doesn't fundamentally change the character, but gives me more options than the original did and has got rid of the 'bad' sounds entirely. 

If you don't have a problem with your preamp or notice and specific short comings, then it's unlikely to benefit you significantly in my opinion.

• Like 1

What difference does a preamp make in a bass?  It depends on what preamp was in before and the new preamp.

Replace a (non trim version especially) tone pump into a bass that had a different preamp and you will see a huge difference in output and tone shaping options.

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Hi all,

I have an active bass and made the mistake of going down the youtube rabbit hole regarding active basses...... bad mistake :)

anywho, I've had active basses before (a sire v7 v2 and a g&l l2000 usa) and I just assumed the bass was the bass and that was it and most of the sound is the pickups. Now I've seen people saying change/upgrade your preamp and itll bring your pickups to life!

So, my questions are:

Does the preamp really change the characteristics of your bass?

Is it worth doing?

thanks in advance.

What active bass are you thinking of changing the pre amp on?

It depends! :D 

Some preamps are designed to be identical to the bypassed state when all the controls are in their mid position.

Others add their own flavour or preset "flat" EQ curve and loads more volume even in the neutral position.

Some even have a tiny bit of grit that you don't really notice until you bypass them.

Then there's the EQ structure of the preamps. Some are 2 band but have really wide Q so there's still overlap even though the bass control might be as low as 40hz. Others will have 3 band or 3 band with a semi para on the mids.

Loads loads loads of options!

I concur with what @BigRedXis saying. The problem is in your situation that you don't know whether it's the pickups themselves or the preamp that's not giving you the sound you want. If you set all the controls 'flat' on your preamp (recognising that flat isn't always actually flat with a preamp) and adjust eq on your amp or a preamp pedal, that'll tell you as much as possible about whether the pickups or the preamp is the issue. If you can get a sound you really like that way, yes it's probably the preamp that's not delivering. If not, then maybe it's worth looking at upgrading the pickups first.

If you're okay with a soldering iron, you could play with bypassing the preamp altogether to hear the true sound of the pickups, that would be the most accurate way to figure it out I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

You should already have a pre-amp in your signal chain probably in your actual amplifier. Why have a second one? Unless it currently doesn't do what you want in which case you should change for one that does.

It's not always that simple.

I set mine for my basic tone for the room, but for a few different songs I want either more of a treble roll off, or a bass boost with a bit of mid scoop etc and I do that from the bass. With 20+ people on the stage I can't always get back to my amp.

• Like 2

I should perhaps clarify as I've got a bit lost - the bass sounds superb in passive mode and great in active mode. However I just assumed the 'active/preamp' side of things on all basses was almost just a boost or adjustable eq section. It didnt occur to me that the preamp would act in such a way to fully colour or affect the sounds of the bass. (it probably should have done).

I see people with sadowsky, spector, darkglass and aguilar preamps and just wondered what impact they have, what difference they make to the sound and if there are comparisons etc.

11 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It's not always that simple.

For me it is. Since I can back to playing bass in 1989 I've always had some form of programmable EQ in my signal chain (usually as part of a multi-effects unit), so changing sound for a song simply requires selecting to correct patch.

1 minute ago, la bam said:

I should perhaps clarify as I've got a bit lost - the bass sounds superb in passive mode and great in active mode. However I just assumed the 'active/preamp' side of things on all basses was almost just a boost or adjustable eq section. It didnt occur to me that the preamp would act in such a way to fully colour or affect the sounds of the bass. (it probably should have done).

I see people with sadowsky, spector, darkglass and aguilar preamps and just wondered what impact they have, what difference they make to the sound and if there are comparisons etc.

Every pre-amp sounds different in the same way and for much the same reasons that every amplifier sounds different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, la bam said:

I should perhaps clarify as I've got a bit lost - the bass sounds superb in passive mode and great in active mode.

You mean you prefer passive than active? In that case, there are preamps that are fairly "transparent" which should give you flexibility to eq while preserving your passice sound for the most part. If I remember correctly, Nordstrand an Glockenklang were said to do that, but don't take my word for it as I never tried them.

For the most part, preamps (much like "amps", which have a preamp) alter the sound by choice and design. That's part of what they sell: the promise to "improve" on the natural sound of your bass

42 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For me it is. Since I can back to playing bass in 1989 I've always had some form of programmable EQ in my signal chain (usually as part of a multi-effects unit), so changing sound for a song simply requires selecting to correct patch.

An EQ in a pedal is just in a different place. So your comment about changing your amp for something else contradicts using an EQ elsewhere, whether it's programmable or not. I realise you are using a Helix now but you weren't in 1989!

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

An EQ in a pedal is just in a different place. So your comment about changing your amp for something else contradicts using an EQ elsewhere, whether it's programmable or not. I realise you are using a Helix now but you weren't in 1989!

Back in 1989 I was using a Roland GP8 into a stereo power amp, which was replaced in the mid 90s with a Peavey BassFex into a bigger stereo power amp, so I've pretty much always had just a single EQ (which just so happens to be programmable) in my signal chain.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, la bam said:

Depends on which DiMarzio pickups in specific, and otherwise is totally up to specific application, that is what other gear do you use and what do you play, what you want to achieve, and not least your personal preferences.

If there was such a thing as the ultimate best preamp there would only be one model on the market.

That said it would be worth considering an external preamp pedal instead, those often offer much more possibilities for tweaking and customizing your tone than onboard ones, which in most cases are pretty basic in comparison. 

But yes, depending on the specific preamp in question it can make a huge difference.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I put  Bartolini pickups in my old Precision and the sound improved 500%. So I thought I'd knock it out of the park and install a Bart pre amp. Cos pre amps really improve your sound don't they! IMO that added 5% to the sound. For what the whole exercise cost I'd have been better off just upgrading the pickups and staying passive.

My first suggestion would be, if you have issues with your sound, buy a bass that sounds like you want it to sound.

If you really need to start modding this bass, replace the pickups with a better set and see what that does for you. You could easily have fixed the problem with that one move.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, la bam said:

Based on what you write in this reply I wouldn't waste money to achieve another flavour of good. Get a preamp pedal; there are loads of great ones to choose from and you'll be able to compare how they change your bass' intrinsic tone instantly, back and forth.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, la bam said:

However I just assumed the 'active/preamp' side of things on all basses was almost just a boost or adjustable eq section.

Depending upon the design of the preamp, it also includes buffering  and loading of the individual pickups.

A passive Jazz VVT type set up loads the pickups down depending upon the position of the individual controls so that the tone changes with the VC positions. An individually buffered 2 input preamp does not. This type of preamp also buffers the output from the capacitance of the cable and the potential input loading of pedals etc, especially for those that use complex or parallel signal chains.

Note, I haven't mentioned EQ.

Some designs won't work properly passively, for example an Alembic Series or most Wals.

• Like 1