Why become a member? ×

So what do you drive to transport your bass gear around?

Linus27

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474572' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:49 PM']Which one of you is it that charges past on the M25 at 90 mph in the rain talking on the phone? ;)

Alex[/quote]

Because 4 wheel drifting around a roundabout on a public road is ok? :) :rolleyes:

The one thing I can't stand is people who think it's ok to talk on their phones while driving. I can't understand how they think they're above the law and continue to do it. I know two wrongs don't make a right but I've lost track of the number of times I've wanted to stop somebody and take their phone off them and throw it under the nearest lorry. I've had bluetooth car kits installed in my last two cars, one in the mrs's car and currently have one of those visor kits until I get a more permanent car and then I'll have another bluetooth plumbed in. I don't want to sit there gassing but at least I can answer the phone legally.

Anyway - back on topic!! :D

Skoda Felicia Fun - without doubt the best car ever for moving gear, and really really rare so you'll hardly ever see another one :-)

Picture is a bit old now - wheels are re-furbed in anthracite and its got some other little tweeks...

[attachment=24504:SANY1495.JPG]

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='474599' date='Apr 28 2009, 09:18 PM']Because 4 wheel drifting around a roundabout on a public road is ok? :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well obviously! Low speed, no-one around to hit, full attention on the road and driving within the limits of my skill. And I actually have a clue what to do and will intuitively react correctly if something weird ever happens and does demand good car control.

Alex

Never done any drifting for yonks. I miss those days, 3.6 rover SD1 powering around roundabouts is a joy in itself. Even the 730 BMW was a hoot.
Always thought silver X5's was for mums doing the school runs & black ones are for drug dealers & pimps. Do they make any other colours?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='474634' date='Apr 28 2009, 10:18 PM']Never done any drifting for yonks. I miss those days, 3.6 rover SD1 powering around roundabouts is a joy in itself. Even the 730 BMW was a hoot.
Always thought silver X5's was for mums doing the school runs & black ones are for drug dealers & pimps. Do they make any other colours?[/quote]

Mine's blue. I'm so ashamed.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474547' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:14 PM']I can get my Type-S doing very nice balanced four wheel drifts around roundabouts[/quote]

What Type-S?

Between my 328 Tourer and my guitarist's cavenous mondeo we're sorted; I usually take the personnel though, leave the hauling to the tractor :)

'03 Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9CDi, 5 seats (rear two on quick-release), tailgate (means your stuff doesn't get wet loading in the rain).

superb band van. takes 5 musos, PA (2 speakers and combo mixer/amp), Drums (all cased), Bass stuff (amp, cab, bass, bag of bits), Guitar stuff (combo amp, flightcased pedalboard, guitar) percussion (djembe's, bongos, stands and box of bits) and decks (flightcased) with comfortable space for all people, and it's not even a long wheel base!#

6 speed gearbox means comfortable driving and good fuel economy (up to 700 miles on an £85 tank, don't know MPG's), air conditioning (useful when we go abroad :) ) and a comfortable ride makes this feel more like an MPV than a van.

the only downside is it's not built as sturdily as the likes of transits and transporters. but i don't abuse it so that doesn't matter!

Edited by wotnwhy

[quote name='Lifer' post='474946' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:08 PM']4 wheel 'drifting' in a front wheel drive car on public roads? There's a word for that and it starts with T and ends with at.[/quote]

Technocrat?

One has to love how black and white any issues regarding driving seem to be. Enjoying the fun of gracefully sliding a skinny tyred car around an empty roundabout seems to place you in the same pigeonhole as overtaking a bus at 45mph outside a school at 3pm during the week.

It's a shame that such blinkered views damage those cases which are justified - like the case against all those parents that think the yellow zig zags don't apply to them. Or the driver that was trundelling along at 25mph so the speed camera didn't get him but he still hit the pedestrian because he was too busy chatting to his mate to concentrate on the road.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474980' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:44 PM']Technocrat?

One has to love how black and white any issues regarding driving seem to be. Enjoying the fun of gracefully sliding a skinny tyred car around an empty roundabout seems to place you in the same pigeonhole as overtaking a bus at 45mph outside a school at 3pm during the week.[/quote]

If you wanna do that go to a run what you brung day.

I've got no time for people who wanna play race driver, it may be graceful until you hit a patch of oil, there's a change in camber or you have to try and avoid any number of things that might be on a public road, that happens and you'll swap ends quicker than your sphincter can snap shut.

[quote name='Lifer' post='474999' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:59 PM']If you wanna do that go to a run what you brung day.

I've got no time for people who wanna play race driver, it may be graceful until you hit a patch of oil, there's a change in camber or you have to try and avoid any number of things that might be on a public road, that happens and you'll swap ends quicker than your sphincter can snap shut.[/quote]

There was a time when one could enjoy driving on the road without being told that the only place for such driving in on a race track. And on an empty road with good visibility the risk is only one's own, not anyone else's. I'd agree that driving anywhere near the limits on an unfamiliar road is very risky, where there may be hidden entrances, strange camber changes etc. But on a road you know intimately it's a different matter altogether. And the patch of oil argument is very weak when you're in a vehicle with four contact patches many feet apart.

The styling driven penchant for ultra-low profile tyres on extra large wheels may be what's leading you to think any degree of sliding is dangerous and out of control - the wider and lower profile the tyre the less progressively the tyre lets go, and the faster the car will be going when it does. On a car with more sensibly sized tyres you have a much more progressive and controllable transition from grip to slip - I don't think I'd ever dare trying to slide a monster tyred X5 or suchlike, one moment you're going quickly round a bend, the next moment you're going quickly through a hedge. Very different on 195/65s.

I'd be far happier if the world was full of drivers that actively enjoyed driving and thus gave it their full attention - better car control in the event of an accident but more importantly a much reduced risk of accident due to better observation, forward planning and driving correctly for the conditions. I'm sure RoSPA would agree. An engaged driver is a safer driver.

Alex