Why become a member? ×

So what do you drive to transport your bass gear around?

Linus27

Just interested in what you all drive to lug your bass gear around to and from gigs or practises etc.

I drive a 2000 Scooby Impreza Sportwagon. Pretty good really although the boot is fairly small. With the back seats up, I can get the two Ashdown cabs in the back (2 x 10 and 1 x 15) plus the Ashdown head, flight case and stand. Have to then put the bass on the back seat. With the back seats down then everything can go in the back with no problem.

I don't drive. I really should learn, and I will have time after uni, but I'm also a bit put off by how expensive it is. Seems like I'm getting more frugal since I left home, haha.

Right now I don't really need to though - most of my gigs are with my function band, and we have a van, so all the gear is usually accounted for. However, I'll be kicking myself if I get a call for an amazing gig one day and I have no way of getting myself and my rig there.

Well that got the topic onto a good start, didn't it. Sorry, I'll shut up now. :)

I drive a 53 Fiesta 1.4 TDI.

Can get my BFM Omni 10 (2x10") [b]or[/b] Hartke 2200 (2x12") in the boot if I pop one of the back seats forward slightly. Then the 2U case and bass go across the back seats.

In my new tribute band the guy who plays keyboards, guitar and vocals can't drive. So I have to put both the back seats down and I can just about fit in one of my bass cabs, amp, bass, full size flightcased keyboard, keyboard stand, guitar, small 1x12" guitar combo, and various little crates of leads and sundries.

I like having a little car as I can use it as an excuse to myself why I haven't owned an 8x10 :rolleyes: Though I'd love to replace it with some kind of estate-car. Might be able to convince the missus that it's a good idea now we've got a baby :)

If I'm depping or just helping out at buskers nights and the like, my Rig fits in the back of my old Clio with the seats folded down. If it's a full Band gig, I own the P.A. so it all goes in the back of an L.D.V. Pilot. (ex-Post Office Van). Hence my recently acquired nickname-"Oh, here comes Postman Tw*t" :)

We have a band van. A good old fashioned Transit sunshine bus with all but one row of the seats removed.

It's soon going to get flames all the way down the side. And we've recently fitted a plywood bulkhead behind the seats to separate us (and our instruments) from falling gear when we have to brake for... *ahem* "safety cameras" :)

I have a Vauxhall Corsa V Reg 1.2 16v. Which managed to get my SWR 115 combo in as well as my bass, but only with the seats down. It also trigered off the load sensor that engages the back brakes. That usually takes 3 people sitting in the back...

Mine's in my sig. Its been a great motor, absolutely trouble free and overtaking is a bit of a hoot. Ped and I managed to get a serious amount of kit in the back of it for the last SE Bass Bash, something like 7 basses in cases, plus stands and a half stack rig.

[quote name='neepheid' post='473880' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:36 AM']I drive around in a Honda Civic (not the latest one but the one before) which with the seat down basically turns into a van with windows.[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='473962' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:29 AM']Mine's in my sig. Its been a great motor, absolutely trouble free and overtaking is a bit of a hoot. Ped and I managed to get a serious amount of kit in the back of it for the last SE Bass Bash, something like 7 basses in cases, plus stands and a half stack rig.[/quote]

2003 Honda Civic Type-S. Pretends it's a van with the seats down and a slightly slower rollier Type-R when faced with a fun road.

Alex

Just sold my Octavia 2.0TDi as it was suffering from starship mileage & we had a Touran-style VW Caddy van sitting on the drive in mint condition with only 35k on it. I have become white van man!

Best thing we had for gigs was a new-style Fiat Panda diesel. That swallowed all my bass gear with ease & still did 65mpg. Thinking of getting another one!

Rich.

2001 Vauxhall Astra. Haven't really pushed it to the limits of its capacity but I do know that you can't get a Peavey 115BX BW in the boot without dropping the seats. However, you can get an Ashdown EB12-180 or a Barefaced Compact in the boot with room to spare for a 30W guitar combo.

S.P.

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 turbo diesel estate. Tons of room even with the back seats up - will take a 4x10 plus amp head,leads,stands etc along with 4 passengers. What I like about it is the flat load area, which some estates don't have i.e. they have a lip which prevents heavy stuff beeing pulled out without lifting too. With the backs seats down, there is a large completely flat van like load area (even takes an Ampeg 8x10),so you get the best of both worlds.
I've always had estates - can't understand why not really. Have seen bandmates ruin cars by trying to jam gear in through rear doors of hatchbacks.

Worth mentioning that insurance companies may choose not to pay out if you have an accident in an over/dangerously loaded car, or if you have n't declared that you intend to use it as a gigging musician. Also small cars with too much kit in are dangerous in case of sudden braking etc, and tend to attract unwanted attention from Plod too.

1995 BMW 3 series

Gets my whole rig in the boot (well until I put the rack in a bigger case - that goes in the passenger seat well now).

No other 410 fits in the boot, not even close!

Its not very fast, its quite noisy, but the handling is [b]really[/b] nice and its probably got the lowest mileage of any similar age 3 series on the road (39k for a 14 yr old 3 series :))

I love it dearly though....

A citroen berlingo people carrier/van, it's crap but it's got 195000 miles on the clock (130k of which is mine) brilliant for gear can fit tons in. It doubles as transport for the wood I collect for my log burner so it's filthy dirty most of the time, loads of scratches and bumps that I simply don't care about... quite liberating really.
I can use the family car too (7 seater people wagon) can get tons in there.

Edited by jakesbass

For gigs in town I choose to walk, coz "the man" isn't down with me driving home pissed. Out of town gigs I get all my gear and our lead guitarist gear in the back of my 54 2 door Megane II somehow. For gigs in other systems I prefer the Millennium Falcon - she can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs which gives you more time for setting up.