Why become a member? ×

Bass straps - what you using ?

dmccombe7

I tested my new Comfort Strapp last night.

I have boney shoulders - muscle doesn’t naturally grow where I need it to, and there’s a nerve which gets trapped between the pressure point of a bass strap and bone.

I was playing a Sandberg Electra VS4,  so a relatively light bass (3.5kg). But - even with the neoprene padding - after an hour, my nerve was impacted and the pain (and pins & needles in my little finger) gradually increased for the rest of the session.

Today is the worst I’ve known it, and that’s after I used a decent strap.

I’m seriously considering getting one of those rugby undershirts with padded shoulder protection.

1 hour ago, Tokalo said:

I have boney shoulders - muscle doesn’t naturally grow where I need it to, and there’s a nerve which gets trapped between the pressure point of a bass strap and bone.

I’m seriously considering getting one of those rugby undershirts with padded shoulder protection.

I think someone (maybe @Happy Jack)  had one of those straps that has a part that goes over both shoulders.

2 hours ago, Tokalo said:

I was playing a Sandberg Electra VS4,  so a relatively light bass (3.5kg). But - even with the neoprene padding - after an hour, my nerve was impacted and the pain (and pins & needles in my little finger) gradually increased for the rest of the session.

I had a temporary shoulder issue similar to what you explain and i bought a Gruvgear Duo strap that has 2 straps over each shoulder and distributes the weight more evenly. Luckily for me the shoulder issue cleared after approx 6-12mths and i just used the one part of the strap which i have to this day.

Mine is the 3" width version but i think they now do a slightly wider version.

I went down the comfort strap road as well and they didn't help me either.

It might help ???

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had a temporary shoulder issue similar to what you explain and i bought a Gruvgear Duo strap that has 2 straps over each shoulder and distributes the weight more evenly.

I tried the GruvGear Duo ... absolutely hated it. 😂

In the final analysis, there's no substitute for actually trying these things for yourself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I tried the GruvGear Duo ... absolutely hated it. 😂

In the final analysis, there's no substitute for actually trying these things for yourself.

There are cheaper versions than Gruv gear that would be worth a try. 

I had no option at the time and altho i didn't find it particularly comfortable it did reduce weight on my left shoulder enough to help until my shoulder got better. The one thing with the version i had was it wasn't long enough for me and i couldn't get the extension strap at that time as it was when they came out and strap wasn't yet available in UK.

I currently use it as a single strap where i made my own extension strap from a genuine leather belt i cut to size etc.

Its definitely not something that comes naturally and took a bit of getting used to.

As you say we are all different and best to try before buying if possible. I didn't have that option at the time.

Dave

I've had LOADS of different straps over the years in search of ultimate comfort, and have landed on the Gruv Gear Mono strap, by far the best I've tried, for me anyway. If you're on a budget the 4" wide Levys or Planet Waves nylon straps are pretty damned comfortable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 14:03, MichaelDean said:

My most recent strap was a vegan Right On one. Not bought because I'm vegan (I'm not), but because I was curious and it's really nice. A bit grabby at the back, but not as much as a suede strap, so it doesn't pull at my clothing in the same way. Feels like it'll last a long time.

I went to the RightOn site because of this post and I found a strap that I really liked, the price I did not like. I searched around for a UK seller and found one, strap arrived today.

Being a vegan strap is nice as it also gets the seal of approval from my wife (she's vegan, I'm not), and it's always nice to have spousal approval for gear acquisition.

Mark

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

@LowB_FTW yeah, I also bought from a UK seller - Spartan Music. It was about £30/35. Just thought I'd link the main website so people could see the full range!

I hope it works for you!

I guess I should've linked where I got mine … RightOn - Mojo Series Vegan Guitar Strap - Boxeo Blue

Mark

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 10:37, Tokalo said:

Jazz Club Louis type chrome and leather stool, with beret, Polo neck and tweed waist coat and you can sit all gig... and the audience will think you are the cerebral and classically trained brains of the band. 😉

May sound counter intuitive, but try a thinner and/or narrower canvas strap to find a sweet spot....I feel your pain via decades of poor mx/enduro/trials riding. 😎

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 16:05, jazzyvee said:

I'm using some custom straps by Pinegrove Leather to ease the ache on my shoulder from my heavy basses. 

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/

They aren't cheap but really great quality.

Another vote for Pinegrove from me, picked up another one at the recent Birmingham guitar show (also got a free leather cardholder they were handing out in the morning).

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 10:37, Tokalo said:

I have the same problem,but I noticed it only occurs when I wear teeshirts, not shirts with collars.

There is a seam running across my shoulder with a teeshirt, but the yoke on a collared shirt moves the seam elsewhere, so I wear a pad under the teeshirt and the problem has disappeared. 

Hope this helps.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2023 at 08:19, Linus27 said:

I've used the original Fender guitar strap for the last 36 years and never had an issue. Super comfy and reliable.--- I have this same strap here in Alabama ! The ends are worn into bigger holes and likely to come loose. I have tried the old electrical tape wrapped around the ends trick . I could get leather stitched onto the ends. I dunno, it still looks good. Levy's M4 leather is wide and cheap.

91xgSIthdeL._AC_UL1500_.thumb.jpg.29057ededabb45c0c0d3c322098fe447.jpg

• 7 months later...

I am looking for a wide strap that is not very stiff. Also, I'd like to have a fluid length adjustment.

I have GruvGear Solo Neo and Minotaur straps.

Both are quality straps but quite stiff and it is a bit of PITA to adjust them (impossible while playing).

I am considering Comfort Strap or Mono Strap. Any other options that you can think of?