Why become a member? ×

Hey everyone, I’m making some feature videos on female bass players over the next few weeks at Greg’s Bass Shed and would love to learn more about Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads. 

What are some of her most interesting bass lines? I’m tempted to make a lesson on ‘Life During Wartime’ but open to another choice. I’m not that familiar with Talking Heads but like what I’ve heard so far. 

Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Nice bit of Life During Wartime.  Some nice camera work on Weymouth here and there

Byrne is a strange dude but wonderfully so

cheers, this is the video I was thinking of making a lesson on! It’s crazy but so brilliant at the same time! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrypF said:

The whole of Stop Making Sense is a masterclass as far as I’m concerned. Cities and Found A Job especially.

I was also going to recommend watching all of this.

As well as Tina’s fantastic playing it’s also a really well done live show.

• Like 2

I read that book "Remain in love" by Chris Frantz recently and it changed my perception of the band a lot...

A lot of bitterness and weird situations...In the beginning I was on the side of Frantz but in the end you feel that there is more to that one side of the story.

Not a word about Jerry Harrison while you get detailed discriptions of the food they had in Paris fourty years ago and only one small mention that Tina (the love of his life, he simply adores her) wanted to leave him if he didn't give up drugs...

My favourite bass line is "Mind" (it has a Mick Karn flavour)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NHM said:

and there's me thinking that people made videos about things they knew something about...

I think you can appreciate someone’s bass playing but not know much about them. I reckon Greg’s doing the right thing to crowdsource some opinions from bass players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1