Why become a member? ×

NBD - Nordstrand Acinonyx

Frank Blank

16 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You forgot to mention the secret "all buttons pressed=both pickups in series" mode.

But congratulations. :i-m_so_happy:

These seem, look and sound like cool, super fun and nice basses.

No he didn't? :lol:

I am intrugued by these, are these a Far East jobby or do Nordstand build them?  Assuming the former as they seem very keenly priced!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

No he didn't? :lol:

I am intrugued by these, are these a Far East jobby or do Nordstand build them?  Assuming the former as they seem very keenly priced!

Well far east can range from £30 piles of rubbish to Japanese luthiers who make fodera look cheap and nasty so….

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Well far east can range from £30 piles of rubbish to Japanese luthiers who make fodera look cheap and nasty so….

Indeed!  Though a Japanese luthier build here would be quite surprising :)

Factory built basses in the Far East are very linear these days, in that the more the big "Western" company pay them, the better the bass is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You forgot to mention the secret "all buttons pressed=both pickups in series" mode.

...and you forgot to read the post...

On 24/02/2023 at 13:06, Frank Blank said:

If you push all four pickup buttons down at the same time (easier said than done!) it switches the pickups into series mode.

• Like 1

Very funky these are. Nice review. Like you Frank, I find that infinite options only offer infinite dissatisfaction. I have owned 2 filter based preamped bassses in my life. They had to go. I was so preoccupied with twiddling that I never stopped thinking about them. I know other people love the filter based preamps. They just do not suit how I percieve things. I have pan controls of several basses. I NEVER play anything but dead center. On/off buttons make a lot of sense. 

Edited by Owen
  • Like 2

On 25/02/2023 at 15:43, Owen said:

Nice review.

Cheers.

Like you Frank, I find that infinite options only offer infinite dissatisfaction.

Beautifully succinct (unlike my tosh) and right on the money.

I have owned 2 filter based preamped bassses in my life. They had to go. I was so preoccupied with twiddling that I never stopped thinking about them.

Very much so, .I've only had one, an ACG, a beautiful bass, but the range of tones was vast, bewildering and ultimately frustrating.

Edited by Frank Blank

Just now, Cato said:

Great review, lovely specimen.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I've been getting a lot of shortscale/retro has recently and the Acinonyx certainly ticks the boxes on both fronts.

Within that spec it's hard to beat, obviously you (and anyone else who's interested) are welcome to try it out.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Owen said:

Bass hacking. Very cool.

Don't tell @Smanth. She'll be off designing special electronics with hidden easter eggs so that if you press the tone buttons in the right order the bass plays Superstition all by itself.

And if you push them in the wrong order it plays Proud Mary.

• Haha 1

I have one of these too, and so much of your review had me nodding enthusiastically! This is hands down the most effortless bass I've ever played - combination of the (lack of) weight, slim neck, and an action that almost seems to play itself. I used to be in a band that played a lot of Booker T covers, and with La Bella flats, played through my Ashdown CTM30 and 115 cab, it was perfect. But that band has now sadly folded, and the Cat just seems to get lost in the mix with my new band, which is much louder. Any tips gratefully received, because I really miss playing it! 

19 minutes ago, Kateplaysbass said:

I have one of these too, and so much of your review had me nodding enthusiastically! This is hands down the most effortless bass I've ever played - combination of the (lack of) weight, slim neck, and an action that almost seems to play itself. I used to be in a band that played a lot of Booker T covers, and with La Bella flats, played through my Ashdown CTM30 and 115 cab, it was perfect. But that band has now sadly folded, and the Cat just seems to get lost in the mix with my new band, which is much louder. Any tips gratefully received, because I really miss playing it! 

Not much help here on the loudness front, I play in a (mostly) acoustic duo and I play through an FRFR set up.

• Thanks 1

I finally had the chance to play one of these this weekend... what a cool little bass. Posted in the Wanted section but thought i'd mention it here just in case anyone is looking to move one on!

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 1

Funny old game this bass malarkey. I played the Acinonyx exclusively up until early last week when I put it back into the rack and picked up one of my @Jabba_the_gut built basses and wondered why I play anything else. I stick by everything I said about the Acinonyx, it is a superb bass, but it is a distraction from my Jabba basses which are absolutely suited to the music I play. I'm going to spend a lot of time over the next six weeks trying out the HX Stomp vs a Grace Design Alix in a rehearsal setting to really see which suits best and, of course, I'll be using the Jabba basses because they are so suited to our music. I'm kind of saying all this because, yes, I'm selling the Acinonyx tomorrow but, and I realise this sounds odd, the Acinonyx is so good it's actually distraction from the perfect basses (thanks Jabba) for me and my music.

</end self-analysis>

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Funny old game this bass malarkey. I played the Acinonyx exclusively up until early last week when I put it back into the rack and picked up one of my @Jabba_the_gut built basses and wondered why I play anything else. I stick by everything I said about the Acinonyx, it is a superb bass, but it is a distraction from my Jabba basses which are absolutely suited to the music I play. I'm going to spend a lot of time over the next six weeks trying out the HX Stomp vs a Grace Design Alix in a rehearsal setting to really see which suits best and, of course, I'll be using the Jabba basses because they are so suited to our music. I'm kind of saying all this because, yes, I'm selling the Acinonyx tomorrow but, and I realise this sounds odd, the Acinonyx is so good it's actually distraction from the perfect basses (thanks Jabba) for me and my music.

</end self-analysis>

:facepalm:

However, 2 x Jabba builds… :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1