Why become a member? ×

Ampeg RB210 vs Fender Rumble 500

dclaassen

I am thinking of joining the modern world, saving my back in the process. These 2 combo amps look like they would work in my situation, but would love some feedback from those who have gigged with either. I am usually gigging with my trusty Dual Showman with a 4x12 cab. Love the sound, but need something smaller as well. I do everything from big band jazz to country, to pub rock covers, and I use a combination of my active Jazz bass, my MPV-5, and my fretless Spector. 

Please discuss....

Another + for the Rumble. I had a 500 a few years back and foolishly sold it. It would be ideal if I still had it and used an extension cab to get the full whack from it.

I was speaking to a guy the other night who plays the local pub scene around Glasgow with a Rumble 100, more often than not without pa support, easy one hand lift and great sound. Jealous, me??? :D

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Although I love my Ashdown ABM set up (with NEO cabs) I’m sadly thinking the same and looking at the Fender Rumble. I’ve heard them live and they really are great sounding amps.

No No No Lozz don’t desert the Ashdown!!! Rumble vs RM or ABM no contest !! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

No No No Lozz don’t desert the Ashdown!!! Rumble vs RM or ABM no contest !! 

Well I need to get down to lifting/carrying less so I may well keep my RM500 and end up with a Barefaced cab. I love the Ashdown cab sound but my back appears to be worsening daily so having to look at practical solutions. Not gonna make any rash decisions tho.

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I need to get down to lifting/carrying less so I may well keep my RM500 and end up with a Barefaced cab. I love the Ashdown cab sound but my back appears to be worsening daily so having to look at practical solutions. Not gonna make any rash decisions tho.

Recruit yourself a "bass roadie" 😃

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If only..............

Exactly this.....

I have access to a rumble 200 with the 15"....It's a nice amp and really light! 

I am trying to resist my "old school" association with 15" speakers....not sure I trust 2 10's that much

Crazy?

I also love the Rumble 500... I did move to a Rumble 800HD and 210 cab, for two reasons: 1, so i could use the head with my bigger cabs when wanted, and B, because the DI on the 500 is affected by the master volume, which it isn't on the 800. Worth knowing going in! The speakers really evolve once played in, I found both sounded a little tight when new, and opened up considerably. 

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I tried the Rumble 210 cab which was light and looked decent and sounded ok at lower volumes 

Where it struggled was when it was cranked it seemed less capable than the Pro Neo cabs and definitely not as able as the ABM ported cabs 

Good to hear….thanks!

Another vote for the Rumble 500c. I have one as a back-up to my Bassman rig but it becomes first choice when playing in pubs with tight spaces or difficult get-ins. It really is a decent solution. Its going out on a gig this weekend (the double whammy of a tight space and a long carry!).

Can't comment on the Ampeg as I've not tried one.

Not tried the Rumble 500 or the Ampeg but I can recommend the Ashdown Studio 15.  It is unbelievably lightweight at 11.3 Kg.

It sounds great and I have had band mates ask me to use that amp over my old trace elliot and Barefaced

2 x12.

It only has 300 watts output but It seems to hold its own on gigs quite comfortably.

One thing to note is that there is no speaker out socket on the Studio 15 so you can't add another cab but so far I haven't felt the need to use one.

EQ section works really well. Built in drive effect is not to my taste so I don't use that. DI socket, headphones out and line in sockets make it a  great sounding well featured, lightweight gigable combo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

How unreasonable is it not to trust 10" speakers to give you a full, rich sound? I've gigged with 4x15's (never again), 1x15, 1 x 18, 1 x 12 (inadequate) and 4 x 12. I like an old school sound. 

I have a Barefaced Two10S and it sounds pretty old school by design

I gig these days with a Rumble 100 (with a better 'proper' Eminence speaker in it) and PA support...verrrrrry light and loud. My tone comes from the Helix, but the Rumble makes it louder very well. Having said that, the bass is dialled back to nowt on the combo, so it's really just for stage monitoring...

My bigger rig is a very old-school-sounding amp (a Walkabout, very valvey and warm) through a thoroughly modern BF Super Twin, and the cab does the same thing: makes the sound of the amp loud...I'd always say that moving to a less coloured cab only means some re-EQ-ing of the sound...

10 hours ago, dclaassen said:

How unreasonable is it not to trust 10" speakers to give you a full, rich sound? I've gigged with 4x15's (never again), 1x15, 1 x 18, 1 x 12 (inadequate) and 4 x 12. I like an old school sound. 

Oh, you'd be surprised how much "heft" you get out of a pair of 10's in the Rumble 500 combo! :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dclaassen said:

People have commented a few times on BC that speaker diameter alone doesn’t define a particular sound.

Back in the day (60’s/70’s) bands used 15 and 18 inch speaker cabs probably due to the lack of choice.

Marshall 4x12 stacks changed this somewhat, but I think it was Ampeg’s use of multiple 10 inch drivers

that really altered the game. If you’ve ever experienced an Ampeg SVT 810 the you’ll know that tens can

be a thing of beauty.

I used fifteens when first starting out, my favourite cab for years containing two EV 15 speakers.

However, once I’d tried my first 410 cab I realised that 10’s would work for me too. Abandon your

preconceptions if you can and give other cabs a try, you may well be pleasantly surprised. 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

People have commented a few times on BC that speaker diameter alone doesn’t define a particular sound.

Back in the day (60’s/70’s) bands used 15 and 18 inch speaker cabs probably due to the lack of choice.

Marshall 4x12 stacks changed this somewhat, but I think it was Ampeg’s use of multiple 10 inch drivers

that really altered the game. If you’ve ever experienced an Ampeg SVT 810 the you’ll know that tens can

be a thing of beauty.

I used fifteens when first starting out, my favourite cab for years containing two EV 15 speakers.

However, once I’d tried my first 410 cab I realised that 10’s would work for me too. Abandon your

preconceptions if you can and give other cabs a try, you may well be pleasantly surprised. 😊

Before I switched to my Markbass 210 set up I heaved an Ashdown 4x10 and 1X15 around. It was when the 1x15 blew and I gigged the 4x10 solo that I saw (heard!) the light. much prefer 10s and never worried about lack of bottom, in fact a lot of rooms I have cut the bass back a little.

• Like 1

I have used 2x10 with a 1x15 before and got a nice big sound.

If I need to play somewhere now that requires a big backline sound I use a Peavey Headliner 4x10 with a 2x10 on top driven by a Peavey Mini Mega.

(according to the Peavey spec they do match each other)

Lots of tone and bottom end in there I don't miss the 15. The 10's will do it for you.

If you have to turn that up beyond 3 gain and 3 Volume in a fair sized hall you are going to damage ears.

In fact if you drive a G&L Legacy through that you will shake the building at that level.

I will generally run it at 9 O'clock on both dials Max

I appreciate for a lot of people on here Peavey have gone out of fashion but they do get the job done for not too much money.

• Like 2