Why become a member? ×

Soldering iron

Fishman

If you want a professional quality iron, check out the Quicko T12-942. It's a copy of the Hakko and uses the same bits. They're available on Ebay, although you can buy them for less on Ali Express. You'll need to add a power supply - anything from 15 to 24V is OK. You might have an old laptop power supply in a drawer that would work. That's what I use. I've been using two of these for the past 12 months and they've been great. They replaced a Weller soldering station.

• Like 3

Been using a TS100 for ages and am very happy with it, definitely a nice change from old style cumbersome irons/stations which is handy if you want to work with smaller components. I've done mPCIe slots and Micro USB ports by hand with mine. Can be powered of a regular laptop power supply or you can get suitable ones for a few £ extra, I use mine with a variable voltage one.

https://www.droneauthority.co.uk/products/miniware-portable-ts100-soldering-iron?currency=GBP&variant=36448668844104&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17378604620&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8t2eBhDeARIsAAVEga0DgAalb730w_NZSnvHS9QZabRKoUBLWawX2Gbi2Y_c5QC9RWnsNjcaAjNPEALw_wcB

You can also get a USB Type-C powered version called the TS80 which might be handy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stevie said:

If you want a professional quality iron, check out the Quicko T12-942. It's a copy of the Hakko and uses the same bits. They're available on Ebay, although you can buy them for less on Ali Express. You'll need to add a power supply - anything from 15 to 24V is OK. You might have an old laptop power supply in a drawer that would work. That's what I use. I've been using two of these for the past 12 months and they've been great. They replaced a Weller soldering station.

Might sound like a daft question but why is the T12-942 not supplied with a power supply?  

Surely it is a necessity and can't be 'that' expensive?

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

Might sound like a daft question but why is the T12-942 not supplied with a power supply?  

Surely it is a necessity and can't be 'that' expensive?

You can order it with the recommended power supply if you want one - they're about twelve pounds. But it uses a fairly common type of power supply and many people already have something suitable. There's also a mains-powered version with a built-in power supply.

For hobbying, no real need...

Have a window open, and don't have ya face over the work...

I just use LMP... low melting point

Used high silver content solder years back when i used to make hifi interconnect and speaker cables ala Deltec. 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Next question is… should I use lead-free solder?

Yes. You will need an iron capable of getting up to the higher temperatures. The Draper one above is NOT ideal. The one that @stevierecommended is fine, I always use Antex irons, the 25 watt one will do almost anything.

• Like 2

I use Antex. I have had the same 17w one since 1991. A couple of years ago I bought the 25w one for jobs that require that bit more, but I probably didn’t go big enough to make that much difference, though I like it’s more flexible, silicone cable. The 17w still does everything I need it to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antex-S58J470-XS25-Silicone-Soldering

• Like 1

The nice thing about the Antex ones is that it’s very quick and easy to change one bit for another, so you can use a little pointy one for fine work and a big fat one for wiring connectors and stuff (which makes that job SO much easier). 

I think you should use lead-free not so much for your health as to not have any more lead getting loose in the environment. It does really need a temperature-controlled iron though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

The Antex 25W are a good basic iron. I've been using mine since the 1970's without problems. They are kind of the Shure SM58 of soldering irons.

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

The Antex 25W are a good basic iron. I've been using mine since the 1970's without problems. They are kind of the Shure SM58 of soldering irons.

My 12 watt Antex is that old. I have had one new element about 25 years ago. I believe that the construction transfers more heat to the tip than traditional irons. I have a 12 watt, an 18 watt and a 50 watt temperature controlled soldering station.  However as Phil says for most the 25 watt one is a really good all round iron. They are made in Plymouth so you can easily contact them with any queries.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just don't put it too near your mouth...

I have to be really careful about this… One of my hobbies is model painting (I have to build them as well, but it’s the painting that I really enjoy), and I am a “brush licker”. A horrible habit that is used to reshape the brush. I also often use my mouth like a third hand, using it to hold things (like the other end of the brush, screws, nails, sometimes even scalpels…). I am fortunate enough to have managed to avoid sticking my soldering iron in my mouth, but only because I have caught myself as I was about to do it, more than once!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingBollock said:

I have to be really careful about this… One of my hobbies is model painting (I have to build them as well, but it’s the painting that I really enjoy), and I am a “brush licker”. A horrible habit that is used to reshape the brush. I also often use my mouth like a third hand, using it to hold things (like the other end of the brush, screws, nails, sometimes even scalpels…). I am fortunate enough to have managed to avoid sticking my soldering iron in my mouth, but only because I have caught myself as I was about to do it, more than once!

Life imitating art ( if you call my feeble attempts at humour, as 'art'

i've had an Antex xs25 for nearly 20 years now, I think all i've ever changed is the tips, before that I had a Weller iron that only lasted a couple of years before the element failed and it went in the bin, I think my brother's antex iron is about 15 years older than mine.

Antex offer a decent range of tip options and the ability to replace the element is great too.

I have a couple of gas soldering irons that are handy for working in places without power (installing DMX cables in a church where the plugs had to be fitted in situ) but they seem to break fairly easily and they're not that cheap.

Matt

• Like 1

I had a Weller soldering station for several decades. It worked and lasted well but you will need spares if you're a heavy user - and you can now buy a quality soldering station for the cost of their replacement heating element. Which is what I did.