Why become a member? ×

Bumnote (Nigel Baker) RIP - Funeral details update

Mickeyboro

I have discovered that Nigel isn’t at all well. He fell, broke a few ribs and punctured a lung back around October and has since been in and out of hospital. He is back in at the moment.

Nigel has been a stalwart of this board for many years and interacted with many of us. Please keep him in your thoughts. 

Edit: Updated with funeral arrangements 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 4

• 2 months later...
  • Mickeyboro changed the title to Bumnote (Nigel Baker) RIP

This is very sad to hear. I only met Nigel once when I bought a L2000 Tribute from him way back in 2008 I think, but he seemed like a really lovely bloke - had the patience of a Saint with me and would have been happy to chat all things bass for hours. 

R.I.P 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news. I heard it from Chimike a couple of days back when we were chatting after he popped by to buy the Mesa D800 I bought from Nigel a couple of years back. We had a good old chinwag when he came over for the sale.

From the list above looks like he played in a band on the same circuit as me as well.

Condolences to the family

• Like 2

• Mickeyboro changed the title to Bumnote (Nigel Baker) RIP - Funeral details update
  • 1 month later...

Hi all you lovely Bass players on this thread.

Thanks for all the lovely things said about Nigel on here - h would be tickled I'm sure.

My name is Ron Hughes (bumnote2) and I was the guitar player (dirty word I know for some of you!!!) in Nigel's band 'Hat-Trick' that lasted from 1998 to 2016. Last gig 31st December 2016. 

Nigel's funeral was held on 20th of June 2023 - and as funerals go - a very nice occasion. Lots of his musician friends in attendance (you may have even been there?) and he had a great send off.

The Family have asked me to look at selling on some of Nigel's beloved basses (he had quite a few!!) so I'll be posting adds and pics on this site as soon as I can gather all the information required. Among his collection is a 1964 Fender P Bass - refinished in Fiesta Red - which was his go to instrument of choice (L series serial number - we think a Kent Armstrong rewound PBass pickup - tortoise shell pick guard) sounds awesome!! This was the bass NIgel was playing when we first met in 1975 - bloody hell was it that long ago??? It was painted in a particular poor coat of 'Valspar Black!!' but still sounded the business through an HH head and Fender Dual Showman cabinet with 2 x JBL's.

He also many G&L's and Lackland basses too.

R.I.P. Nigel - miss you every day.

Watch this space.     

Sarisbury Green 2-12-2010 017.JPG

20090923 Hat-Trick Nigel B Chris Ron H.jpg

P1030118.JPG

P1030325.JPG

L81A0500.jpg

L81A0505.jpg

IMG_0071.JPG

20140419 Hat-Trick Nigel - Fountain Rowlands Castle_447947972_n.jpg

P1040806.JPG

• Like 12