Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass

nilorius

Just now, asingardenof said:

How do you find the Sadowsky (and I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain immediately went to Tesco)? I keep veering between wanting one and thinking I should save up for a second-hand Japanese one (or go for the one brand new one still on sale - not saying where though!), or go a different route entirely.

Despite the crappy logo I really like it, after a good setup and new strings it works very well for me. I tried a German Metro Express recently, in Germany funny enough. It was very nice and felt like a more expensive bass, however, at three times the price I can neither afford nor justify the cost. I also think that I prefer the simplicity of the two band EQ on mine as I didn't really have time get to grips with the German one in the shop. If money was no object however...

• Like 1

My 2019 MIJ hybrid jazz bass. It's well built, not heavy and came with very nice 'vintage US' pickups. But what edges it for me over my Am pro is the neck. It's more chunky, closer to a U, and it just works for me.

Edited by Bix
  • Like 1

These threads can often just become a vintage love-in, but my favourite bass for the last 4 years is this FSR jazz with an incredible jazz neck. OK, so it polarises opinion a little bit being pink and with a Fender logo mechanically etched into the headstock, but it plays well and sounds amazing. In the end, I've sold all my other basses (aside from a spare I take to gigs and the obligatory vintage one). 

To upset the purists even more, I bought this from PMT.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/42965899-fender-fsr-american-pro-jazz-bass-shell-pink-rosewood-neck

• Like 3

I’ve had a few. The best one I’ve had was an American Standard with the S1 switch, sunburst with maple board. Wish I’d kept it. Second was an export model CIJ Sunburst/Rosewood export model.  Currently enjoying my AVRI 64 reissue but a recently acquired MIC Classic Vibe in Inca silver is rapidly gaining respect!

My Geddy Lee. Tried many jazzes (12 in fact), from player to ultra, and this particular Geddy Lee just felt right, was finished perfectly and sounded sublime.  It was the in between, the bears porridge - just right. Nothing exciting on paper but that particular one just had its mojo sorted.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

My Geddy Lee. Tried many jazzes (12 in fact), from player to ultra, and this particular Geddy Lee just felt right, was finished perfectly and sounded sublime.  It was the in between, the bears porridge - just right. Nothing exciting on paper but that particular one just had its mojo sorted.

I find it really interesting how we gravitate toward one over another. I have had a chance to try out a number of really nice, top end J basses…most for me were just meh. The right one makes me feel like an extension of my creative will….you just forget it’s there and play music. And I think every one of us would probably choose a different one!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paul S said:

You know, I think we have all got the idea now, you're a real cool guy who likes stuff that is edgy.  But do you really have to keep p!ssing on everyone's chips just to keep telling us?  You've hijacked a perfectly innocent thread to once again tell us you find Fenders boring.  You know a lot of people, including me, like them so can't you just leave us alone.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I read the question as being what Fender Jazz bass would cover all your bass playing requirements, and I replied that there is no Fender Jazz bass that does that for me which I see as a perfectly legitimate reply. I would have posted the same if the question had been about Gibsons or Rickenbackers. I think it is naive to assume that everyone is happy or able make do with a traditional bass of some description.

4 hours ago, lidl e said:

What strings do you all use on your JB?

I am currently using a very light set, 45-100, but i think im gonna up to 105

I mainly choose from 2 - D'addario nickel 45-105 or Rotosound 45-105. Which ones left at my available stores. Anyway i like D'addario better.

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I read the question as being what Fender Jazz bass would cover all your bass playing requirements, and I replied that there is no Fender Jazz bass that does that for me which I see as a perfectly legitimate reply. I would have posted the same if the question had been about Gibsons or Rickenbackers. I think it is naive to assume that everyone is happy or able make do with a traditional bass of some description.

Mine is active, so comes really close. The only exception would be where a fretless is preferred.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Naive is to think j can't. There are so many different configurations Fender provide for j bass, so it's understood that for closest exploring everyone could find his standart.

13 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Naive is to think j can't. There are so many different configurations Fender provide for j bass, so it's understood that for closest exploring everyone could find his standart.

I've not yet seen a semi-acoustic (hollow-body...) version, which is the style (and weight..!)  I prefer. :|

Edited by Dad3353

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I don't believe you misunderstood anything - it is clear to me you knew exactly what you were writing and viewed it as another opportunity to be sneery about people whose opinions and likes are mainstream.  Another one for my ignore list!  Marvellous :) 

• Like 6