Why become a member? ×

Live Aid - watch now on YouTube

wateroftyne

I'm working, so it's a case of just looking properly later.  I did have a quick scan; it's surprising how little I know about the bands that played and how even on the day it was very much a case of dipping in and out and tuning in for the full sets of the bands that I wanted to see.  I obviously remember the bands I recorded on VHS, but beyond that, nada. 

I had no recollection of The Style Council playing, or Adam Ant, Elvis Costello, Sade, Bryan Ferry, Old Wheezy, Dire Straits, The Who.  The US show, I can only recall Bryan Adams and The Power Station.  Blimey.

Pointless reminiscence:  That was the first year that the current Mrs S and I were together, we'd just moved in to a small flat and Life was a huge adventure.  The night before we'd had a dodgy takeaway and we'd both been extremely ill all night - not eaten vegetable pakoras (the dish we shared) ever since.  Felt like crap all the next day so just collapsed in front of the tiny portable TV we had and watched the lot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

Pointless reminiscence:  That was the first year that the current Mrs S and I were together, we'd just moved in to a small flat and Life was a huge adventure.  The night before we'd had a dodgy takeaway and we'd both been extremely ill all night - not eaten vegetable pakoras (the dish we shared) ever since.  Felt like crap all the next day so just collapsed in front of the tiny portable TV we had and watched the lot.

Further pointless reminiscence: This was 10 months after Mrs Walman and I married and we went back to Torquay and stayed a few nights at a nice B&B run by a youngish couple that we had found on our pot luck tour down through Devon & Cornwall for our honeymoon the year before.

Lay by an outside pool listening on a portable radio in the day and then headed back to the B&B where we ended up sitting watching the show in the evening with the owners.

21 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I had no recollection of The Style Council playing, or Adam Ant, Elvis Costello, Sade,

Was a huge fan of Costello and Sade (yes, weird mix I know), and Sade was a highlight for me. 

Was there at Wembley for this, so only saw the bits of the US show that was on very old technology giant screens between the UK acts. Great day.

On 29/12/2022 at 11:12, NancyJohnson said:

I'm working, so it's a case of just looking properly later.  I did have a quick scan; it's surprising how little I know about the bands that played and how even on the day it was very much a case of dipping in and out and tuning in for the full sets of the bands that I wanted to see.  I obviously remember the bands I recorded on VHS, but beyond that, nada. 

I had no recollection of The Style Council playing, or Adam Ant, Elvis Costello, Sade, Bryan Ferry, Old Wheezy, Dire Straits, The Who.  The US show, I can only recall Bryan Adams and The Power Station.  Blimey.

Adam Ant:

Asked to comment on a famous photograph of himself and Geldof together prior to Live Aid, Ant tells Uncut magazine, "That was when I was asked by Sir Bob to promote this concert. They had no idea they could sell it out. Then in Bob's book he said, 'Adam was over the hill so I let him have one number.' One thing I'd like to do (in the photo) is kick him up the a**e.

"Doing that show was the biggest f**king mistake in the world. Knighthoods were made, Bono got it made, and it was a waste of f**king time. It was the end of rock 'n' roll, now hippies run the world, like f**king (British festival) Glastonbury... I hate hippies."

My favourite moment:

late in the day, presenter David Hepworth was desperately attempting to fill time while simultaneously address rumours that a reformed Beatles would appear at Wembley with Julian Lennon filling in for John. On the sofa are Tracey Ullman and Big Country frontman Stuart Adamson (RIP). Paraphrasing from memory:

Heps: we're hearing rumours that a reformed Beatles might appear with Julian Lennon. Now we can't substantiate nor refute these rumours, we simply don't know. BUT if  and I must emphasise if this was to happen, and it'd be monumental if it did - if a reformed Beatles were to appear this evening, what, Stuart Adamson, what do YOU think they'll play?

*perfectly timed pause*

Stu: *deadpan* Instruments.

(T. Ullman falls off sofa in mirth)

On 29/12/2022 at 15:09, Piers_Williamson said:

And to ask the nurdy question, what is that Left Handed Bass Camelle Hinds is playing in the Style Council set?

12 hours ago, mxm said:

Was it a Goodfellow ?

Yep, it certainly was! And I quote from Mr Goodfellow... "But Carmel, from The Style Council, used one of my basses at Live Aid in 1985, a bass I made in my downstairs flat. That was the third or fourth bass I'd ever made and it had a Fender-ish headstock. But because he was left-handed, I couldn't play the bloody thing!"

• Like 1

On 29/12/2022 at 11:12, NancyJohnson said:

Adam Ant

…who famously took Live Aid as the opportunity to promote his new single and album rather than do a crowd pleasing tune… and 1) therefore no one remembers being at the event, and 2) pretty much killed good will and his waning career in one fell swoop!

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1