Why become a member? ×

How do you buy yours?

Buddster

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thee is no such thing a "A SET UP". There is your preferred setup which will be slightly (or even very) different for every single one of us here, so other than making sure the action isn't ridiculously high or low and the intonation is set correctly for that action there is little a shop/distributor/manufacturer can do in this regard.

IME trying in a shop is fairly pointless as you will never be able to tell what the instrument sounds like through your exact rig in a band context, which is probably the most important factor after how it looks. Also how many of you here try a bass out on a strap in the shop before purchasing? Unless you only play sitting down how it hangs on your preferred length of strap can make a massive difference to the playability.

Taking, or asking to use (not always allowed) a strap is something I learnt to do. Hopefully, there is also a selection of amps you can choose from in store and you’ll know which one is close to your own rig tonally, which you should know how it sounds like soloed.

• Like 1

I have only ever bought 2 basses in a shop in my life, and both were the worst basses I have had and the only ones I have ever moved on.

Mainly due to my hatred of being in there and the pressure to play some slap or amazing jazz solo, I have folded at the first one the sales person has tried to foist on me (and probably the only one in my paltry budget at the time). 

Buying from a shop is pretty much impossible for me. The closest decent one is about three and a half hours drive away. Even then, the stock is limited. I mostly buy basses mail order (usually Thomann) based on looks, price and reviews. Then just simply adapt my playing to the feel of the new instrument. I've never yet had a bass that I've felt the need to return because it's too uncomfortable to play. They're all pretty much of a muchness as long as you're adaptable. 4, 5, or 6 string. It doesn't really make any difference as long as you're willing to spend some time getting used to it. 

• Like 2

Sitting in a silent, empty, shop demoing basses is not for the faint hearted. The last time I did that was in my local Guitar, Guitar on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

I was playing my usual bluesy, jazzy stuff and just for a laugh started to play the sailors hornpipe (it's actually a good warm up routine). At which point all  the shop assistants burst out laughing.

They listen to you, you know.....

Every note.

They probably have score cards n all.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, gjones said:

Sitting in a silent, empty, shop demoing basses is not for the faint hearted. The last time I did that was in my local Guitar, Guitar on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

I was playing my usual bluesy, jazzy stuff and just for a laugh started to play the sailors hornpipe (it's actually a good warm up routine). At which point all  the shop assistants burst out laughing.

Every note.

I'm sure they were just laughing at the alternate lyrics rather than the tune or playing skill though! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gjones said:

Every note.

I once tried out a Sadowsky Metro Express (pre Warwick) in GG, Camden. I was running through some Geddy lines, when I heard one of the staff accompanying me on guitar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thee is no such thing a "A SET UP". There is your preferred setup which will be slightly (or even very) different for every single one of us here, so other than making sure the action isn't ridiculously high or low and the intonation is set correctly for that action there is little a shop/distributor/manufacturer can do in this regard.

IME trying in a shop is fairly pointless as you will never be able to tell what the instrument sounds like through your exact rig in a band context, which is probably the most important factor after how it looks. Also how many of you here try a bass out on a strap in the shop before purchasing? Unless you only play sitting down how it hangs on your preferred length of strap can make a massive difference to the playability.

quote Thee is no such thing a "A SET UP". There is your preferred setup which will be slightly (or even very) different for every single one of us here,

What bit of a setup did you not understand you say there is no such thing and then go on to describe why it's necessary.

Apologies paid by pay Pay Pal to er*****bla bla bla

6 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

I have over 10 bought online and have never had to return one also others bought face to face in shops or from ads on Gumtree etc

Most things will require a setup anyway.

Maybe I am just not fussy enough.

To me even if a neck needs shimming or similar it doesn't surprise me after all these things are assembled by human beings.

Obviously higher end stuff you expect the setup to be playable out of the box.

Bass needed a 2mm shim grafted to the neck to get it right. The photo shows how this happens under difficult circumcision lol

The Jocal is no joke. Used by universities and very accurate machine shops to set up and calibrate test equipment. I doubt you will find one for sale. 

So is a set up real necessary. ABSOLUTELY! Just thought I'd mention it.🤣

Yes that is a Clifton plane worth more than some basses are.

16717141021442230609095710023505.thumb.jpg.32d42032a404136bc489479d16ef1643.jpg16717142203033997936115000673529.thumb.jpg.f52f52c82f627bcba047a356b79ac662.jpg16717142560787419951265020454612.thumb.jpg.682ea3106cdd8b8040430ef8d395a1e8.jpg

Edited by Ralf1e
added info

59 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

As Mr Bowie observes... "the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar.." just sayin'

I have no idea what Mr Bowie said. He is dead. The sweet comes out better on an owned guitar bought and paid for. Not a Joke

I think i've done every method there is, except buying from abroad - far too much risk for me there. I will happily buy online from a shop as I know I can send it back if there's an issue (something i've only done once in 60+ purchases).

For Facebook/Gumtree etc I have checked the instruments out in person and been happy to proceed, except once when a BC Rich neck was shaped like a Viking longboat. Probably rarest for me is buying from a shop in person.

The basses i own and play now, where bought with extreme you tube checking and hearing, huge review reading, couse of no availability to check and feel at shop. It's better to have them at you hands and ears, but.....................so i would pull the thriger anyway.

I’m addicted to kijiji our local online Buy&Sell , but I’ve bought a surprising number of basses new. Some new online from out of province , some ordered new through local outlets , some new off the rack . And used . Some shipped but most used basses were local finds. Most amps were bought locally , some new , some kijiji finds. Most cabs were bought new. I’m surprised at the number of basses I’ve ordered sight unseen , and haven’t found any disappointments. I’ve been lucky.

Also interesting that when I’ve made arrangements for a kijiji meet , I’ve always bought the bass.
Somehow I got through last year without buying any basses , although I did buy a baritone guitar.

I am looking at buying something in Ontario though , right now.
A cheap Japanese copy from the early 70’s. Something I find more interesting than the real thing!

I should probably seek some counselling. 

I haven't bought a new bass for 10 years,I like interesting and quirky. I bought a Les Paul 1971 on here which was beautiful but she was so heavy I had to sell her...on here :(

my main bass is an Aerodyne Jazz in white, it makes me salivate on a daily basis, was a wedding present and I'll never sell. My 2nd bass was a gothic thunderbird but I just sold that to @kingbollock... on here. 

I just bought a short scale Squier Mustang on ebay!! it's lovely and easy to play fortrickier songs but needs a full setup and rewire. 

I think Basschat is a haven for genuine people, I love it. Thank you to the mods for creating a fantastic platform

Terry

I bought a Dingwall NG3-5 'unseen' last year on the basis that I'd tried one out when buying a second hand pedal, I had won an outstanding employee award, needed to spend the money in a shop willing to accept BACS/SWIFT transfer and Andertons were still online only due to Covid.

Apart from, last 'new' bass I bought was in 2003.  A US Deluxe jazz 5 I picked up for silly money in the States - USD900, which due to Exchange rate and tax rebate worked out less than £600

Everything else has been second hand from Basschat, Ebay, or FB Marketplace

The only time I've ever tried a bass in a shop before purchase, was when my mate bought it. I was an 18 year old guitar player, gifted with the self-confidence and talent of 18 year old guitar players. He was wisely more reserved and a far better player.

All of my other purchases have been blind, mainly because the basses I've bought have never been readily available in shops here. Even my Bongo was a special order and I'd never played one before.

I used to find in guitar shops, if you asked to look at a bass, the assistant would play a load of slap on it, before passing it over, which always used to make me feel as though it was some sort of a "challenge". I'm less bothered about that nowadays, as I've realised, they may be able to do things I can't, but I'm the one with the money.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

I used to find in guitar shops, if you asked to look at a bass, the assistant would play a load of slap on it, before passing it over, which always used to make me feel as though it was some sort of a "challenge". I'm less bothered about that nowadays, as I've realised, they may be able to do things I can't, but I'm the one with the money.

Beautifully expressed.
Any assistant in a music store who thinks that trying to intimidate customers with their Mark King party-piece makes a sale more likely has no place in a service industry, nor some may say, unincarcerated.

NB If actual Mark King has ever worked in a music shop, he gets an honourable exception.