Why become a member? ×

This Royal Mail strike is really something....

lidl e

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

"Royal Mail sale underpriced by £1bn, says scathing select committee report..."

In a bid to push through privatisation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/11/royal-mail-sale-lost-1bn-says-select-committee

The city advisers who were paid a lot to set the share price bought shares and sold them the next day.

• Like 2

I sympathise with the Royal Mail workers, but suspect they are onto a loser with these strikes.

The money making part of the Royal Mail is the parcels service, which unfortunately for the workers is the one area where there is major commercial competition (which isn't on strike). Many commercial users of the royal mail pacels service will be jumping ship to these private companies after these strikes, leaving them with the loss making letters service, (with the universal coverage commitment) so job losses in the Royal Mail will be worse than ever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I sympathise with the Royal Mail workers, but suspect they are onto a loser with these strikes.

The money making part of the Royal Mail is the parcels service, which unfortunately for the workers is the one area where there is major commercial competition (which isn't on strike). Many commercial users of the royal mail pacels service will be jumping ship to these private companies after these strikes, leaving them with the loss making letters service, (with the universal coverage commitment) so job losses in the Royal Mail will be worse than ever.

It should never have been privatised in the first place.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

On the flip side, I keep reading about them being overworked etc, we have a postman collect the mail from work everyday. His allotted collection time is 4pm, I've yet to see him arrive after 3.30pm! He sits in his van playing on his phone for at least half an hour before collecting the post. Hard to find sympathy for those like him who clearly are not overworked in any way. I do appreciate that he could be a small minority but still isn't great for the image they are trying to portray!

How do you know that they aren't on their scheduled break? You don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

Royal Mail made a profit of £758,000,000 last year so there is no need for the attacks on the workers' terms and conditions and no justification for the well below inflation pay offer. The company can afford it.

Royal Mail have to run the universal coverage by law. If they don't then who will?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skilamalink said:

Royal Mail made a profit of £758,000,000 last year so there is no need for the attacks on the workers' terms and conditions and no justification for the well below inflation pay offer. The company can afford it.

Royal Mail have to run the universal coverage by law. If they don't then who will?

I won't pretend to understand it all but the singer in one of my bands is a postie, has been for years and loves his job, was saying one of the problems, along with the aforementioned trying to make drivers work like a franchise with driver owned vans, is that the money is there but they look after shareholders before looking after employees. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, skilamalink said:

Yep, and then 6 months on they state they’re losing 700 million a year. As Andy Furey of the CWU said, that shows incredibly poor management to go from so good to so poor so quickly. Now some of that 700M will be attributable to the strike action no doubt, but nowhere near that sum. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

You're the only person I've encountered who found that situation amusing. I guess it's ok because it's someone else...

Sad, isn't it? Whilst I may not live in France, I am also retired and comfortably off. I try not to forget that not everyone is as fortunate as me.

I'd assumed the gif was of the broken record nature and aimed at a poster rather than a postal service. 

But I have been known to get things spectacularly wrong. 

Either way hopefully we've moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

Nobody wants to see anybody losing their jobs! My comment was more pointing out the fact that there are people within the structure who a clearly using their time inefficiently, that time could be put to better use helping in the other areas of the business reducing the workload on their burnt out colleagues!

In Soviet Russia there used to be a saying 'We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us'. Your postie obviously feels no loyalty to his employer, because his employer feels no loyalty to him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Sad, isn't it? Whilst I may not live in France, I am also retired and comfortably off. I try not to forget that not everyone is as fortunate as me.

"For in the end, he was trying to tell us what afflicted the people in 'Brave New World' was not that they were laughing instead of thinking, but that they did not know what they were laughing about and why they had stopped thinking."

Neil Postman - Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business.

• Like 1

I worked for Royal Mail for over 20yrs. I left in the summer. I work in a completely different sector now.  It's the best decision I've made in a long time. 

I could fill Basschat's server with my very negative opinions and experiences of working for Royal Mail, but life's too short and I'm happier at work than I've been for years.

Royal Mail will go under unless it gets rid of the 100% confidence 0% competence managers at all levels...but it won't.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

On the flip side, I keep reading about them being overworked etc, we have a postman collect the mail from work everyday. His allotted collection time is 4pm, I've yet to see him arrive after 3.30pm! He sits in his van playing on his phone for at least half an hour before collecting the post. Hard to find sympathy for those like him who clearly are not overworked in any way. I do appreciate that he could be a small minority but still isn't great for the image they are trying to portray!

You maybe are not aware that your postman could well have to take a meal break at a predetermined daily time so that he does not fall foul of driver regulations.

His collection time from your business could also be programmed into his daily work schedule, not set by him, but by his management and agreed in your companys contract with Royal Mail.

Most businesses do not want collections of mail or parcels at the very last moment of the working day, he could well be trying to "keep the customer satisfied"-- it is so easy to just portray somebody else as a workshy loafer.

Isn't it?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Yep. Royal Mail has been asset stripped. Many main post offices have been closed and replaced with mini post offices in supermarkets, etc. Those post office buildings, which are often in prime high street locations, can now be sold off. Staffing levels are being slashed and pay and working conditions for staff are under the hammer. Hardly surprising those staff are not happy.

My local PO was closed, it’s now a counter in a branch of W H Smith.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

My local PO was closed, it’s now a counter in a branch of W H Smith.

13 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

You @Tim2291maybe are not aware that your postman could well have to take a meal break at a predetermined daily time so that he does not fall foul of driver regulations.

His collection time from your business could also be programmed into his daily work schedule, not set by him, but by his management and agreed in your companys contract with Royal Mail.

Most businesses do not want collections of mail or parcels at the very last moment of the working day, he could well be trying to "keep the customer satisfied"-- it is so easy to just portray somebody else as a workshy loafer.

Isn't it?

Edited by blisters on my fingers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

You maybe are not aware that your postman could well have to take a meal break at a predetermined daily time so that he does not fall foul of driver regulations.

Isn't it?

I don’t know why you’ve copied me in this tbh, I totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

"Clap for the nurses..."

Then give them a pay cut and try and demonise them in the eyes of the public for protesting about their conditions. Meanwhile, the NHS rendered almost dysfunctional (that's the objective) and many many unnecessary deaths.

Yes, a Pathocracy. No conscience, no shame whatsoever.

The products of capitalism. 

when did the nurses get a pay cut ?