Why become a member? ×

Any love for Peter Steele?

YouMa

I'm more into nude jazz/funk/soul/rare groove etc. A metal mate forced me listen to some Type O Negative. Have to admit this is probably the first rock bass player i really liked apart from John Paul Jones and the usual crowd. Shame the guy died he seemed like a decent bloke judging by the interviews i have watched. I thought their cover of Cinnamon Girl was better than Neil Youngs.

Edited by YouMa
  • Like 2

I was a big Peter Steele/Type O fan, absolutely gutted when he died. Fantastic band, saw them a good few times & they were a big influence on the gothy aspect of the band I was in in the early '00s. IMO Peter's huge overdriven tone defined their sound as much as his vocals did.

And they wrote the best Christmas song:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YouMa said:

I'm more into nude jazz/funk/soul/rare groove etc. A metal mate forced me listen to some Type O Negative. Have to admit this is probably the first rock bass player i really liked apart from John Paul Jones and the usual crowd. Shame the guy died he seemed like a decent bloke judging by the interviews i have watched. I thought their cover of Cinnamon Girl was better than Neil Youngs.

"nude jazz" ? 😳

• Haha 1

I adore Type O Negative. In my miserable teenage years I was all about World Coming Down but I now realise the lush romanticism of October Rust is just perfection.

Peter Steele is one of those immediately identifiable players, a unique style and tone. It probably wouldn't work anywhere else but for TON it's perfect.

I'm so happy I got to see them live.

20 hours ago, Bolo said:

Carnivore was a much MUCH better initiative than Type-o. Brutally honest.

Carnivore were great fun. All the time you appreciate Peter's tongue was wedged firmly in his cheek.

In fairness the same is true of a lot of Type O material.

• 2 weeks later...