Why become a member? ×

When is a band not a band?

Mickeyboro

13 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Because it isn't the real thing. You're just selling out the name. If it's a tribute, then it is exactly that.

It’s an “OLP” to use Musicman parlance. And you could say since Ernie Ball got involved Music Man is just a tribute? (same with Fender of course). I think there is some value in that. The original band might have been 22 years old, full of energy etc and just because they are still going 40 years later doesn’t make them what they were, whereas a new band of energetic 22 year olds might be closer to the originals?

5 minutes ago, Storky said:

The original band might have been 22 years old, full of energy etc and just because they are still going 40 years later doesn’t make them what they were, whereas a new band of energetic 22 year olds might be closer to the originals?

The originals wrote those songs, which another band are just performing. On the coat-tails of.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Storky said:

I think in many ways it would be the same as a tribute and some tributes would be better. For example if the members of ABBA reformed, called themselves ABBA and did a show with mostly new songs, I’m sure that Bjorn Again or something similar would be closer to the original band (now in their 70s). But if Benny and Bjorn licensed a tribute act, ensured the quality and ethos of the original band remained, could that band be entitled to be known as ABBA? 🤔

With the utmost respect for the ABBA Voyage tour, particularly as I have a mate in the band, that's basically what they're doing with the new show. None of the original four are touring or playing beyond the holographic performance, and the band are all young bloods playing behind the original vocal tracking. I'm pretty sure the holographic captures were actually taken from body doubles too. It's an interesting take - basically a licensed tribute franchise.

I actually saw an article in Rolling Stone about this earlier today as the Allman Brothers are doing an 'Allman Brothers Present: Trouble No More' tour again with top flight jam band players connected to the band playing their music. Again, effectively an endorsed tribute experience in the same way as the Duke Ellington Orchestra.

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 1

I'd say a lot of band members realise how hard it can be for the non 'star' members to carry on earning a living and are quite happy for them to continue using a band name and playing the old songs. It would be virtually impossible for many to start again from scratch. It's up to the punters to decide if they want to pay to go and see it or whatever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

There's nothing wrong with billing yourself correctly, honesty is the best policy. Well, it used to be anyway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Australian_Pink_Floyd_Show

I think the most dishonest trib band name is Clearwater Creedence Revival. 
Or maybe it’s the cleverest…

• Like 1

Foreigner is an example of this situation.

Founding member Mick Jones is playing on and off with them on live tours, they are currently doing their final tour 2022/2023.

I have seen them a couple of times in the past with Kelly Hansen on lead vocals and they were superb.

I would have no qualms in paying good money to see them again, even though some people just consider them to be a very good tribute to the original band.

Edited by steantval

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

It's a cheeky little number but it's a good way around it. I wonder how many punters couldn't remember which way around it was...

A lot, judging by Facebook! Wonder where they think they've been these last fifty-odd years…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Queen, Freddie was such a huge part of them, how they can carry on I don't know

Elderly Man Who’s Outlived Wife By 8 Years Must Not Have Loved Her Very Much

Noting that the 81-year-old is still in relatively good health to this day, sources reported Monday that elderly man Jonathan Eckman, who has outlived his wife by eight years now, must not have loved her very much. “If he didn’t die the day after his wife, or later that year on their wedding anniversary, then he probably didn’t really care about her at all,” said local acquaintance Dana Ridgely, who added that the least Eckman could have done if he, in fact, cherished and adored the woman he spent 50 years of his life alongside, was die within a few weeks of her. “He vows to be with her forever, he raises three kids with her, and he spends nearly every moment with her for decades, but he doesn’t even pass away moments after she does, still holding her hand? He must have been cheating on her or something.” Sources added that unless Eckman dies 10 years to the day after his wife’s passing, it was almost guaranteed that he never even loved her to begin with and their marriage was one big lie.

• Like 1

Our every cell replaces its self over a given period (can’t remember how long) so are any of us still the original person? For example, I don’t look the same, think the same, like the same things that I did 20 years ago.

If all the Beatles were still with us and they reformed, I’d argue that they wouldn’t be the Beatles, just an imprint of what the Beatles once were. In this example, the Beatles were a band in the early/mid 60s - they were a product of their time. They were a great band in that time (because of that time?)

58 minutes ago, Storky said:

Our every cell replaces its self over a given period (can’t remember how long) so are any of us still the original person? For example, I don’t look the same, think the same, like the same things that I did 20 years ago.

If all the Beatles were still with us and they reformed, I’d argue that they wouldn’t be the Beatles, just an imprint of what the Beatles once were. In this example, the Beatles were a band in the early/mid 60s - they were a product of their time. They were a great band in that time (because of that time?)

So at what age do you become ripe for identity theft?

The Beatles wrote a lot of considered classics that have stood the test of time. I know lots of guys working who can play the stuff, but I don't know anyone who could write like that or the shear quantity of it.

If you're looking for tips on identity theft, see Grant Shapps, no hold on it's Michael Green, forget that it's Corinne Stockheath, no wait it's Sebastian Fox...

It's not right is it...

• Like 2

On 04/12/2022 at 22:38, Mickeyboro said:

Just come back from seeing Gong, utterly disappointed.

I knew there were no original members, but the music was so divorced from anything I know as Gong it was almost a case of the trades descriptions act. Selling Camembert Electrique t-shirts was the icing on the cake.

On a broader note, what gives a band its identity - and when should the trigger’s broom principle come into play? 

Nice mixed metaphor on the foods theme there!