Why become a member? ×

The Cure UK Tour 2022

sPiKi

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Good on Paul Heaton and Jackie Abbot who pegged the prices on their tour dates to £35, and

Peter Kay who I believe is doing something similar. 

Although good on anyone that fights against the ticket pricing, the idea of spending £35 on Peter Kay seems about as bad as paying £500 for bruce springsteen!

• Haha 1

I saw the first Wembley night a couple of days ago. 2 1/2 hour set that included new stuff, some rarities and many hits. A very decent show. 

@Maude is right about Robert Smith not straining his voice being why he still sounds so good. He's still on it. I have some mutual friends with the Cure and I am reliably informed he does absolutely no vocal exercises whatsoever! The whole band was on fine form. When you look at some of the hard rock singers from that era (Jon Bon Jovi, Paul Stanley, David Coverdale) who have really damaged their voices, Robert was sounding excactly like it was 1984 still. I really think he is something of a national treasure. He was very humble onstage too. 

• Like 4

On 04/12/2022 at 12:17, Maude said:

I last saw them at the long gone Cornwall Coliseum on the Wish tour in 92. They played for hours (that's a good thing before anyone starts 😉), even doing two encores, which were long enough for some bands full set, seven songs. 

I was there too! Student in Bristol (on international exchange) and that was the only place that still had tickets for that tour. A local music shop organised a bus+ticket combo and off we went. Great gig! Great memories!

I have seen them many times since and I was at Wembley Arena last night too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Or go to a decent tribute band?

I've not seen many tribute bands (they're not really my thing), but the ones I have seen were while being suitably competent musically, were visually and from a performance PoV a very poor substitute for the real thing; which for me is the whole point of going to SEE a band. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

@Maude is right about Robert Smith not straining his voice being why he still sounds so good. 

Possibly, but you have to admire the range and styles in sings in, while playing guitar for most of a two and half hour set, with changes to the set list every night of a 46 date tour. He is one talented guy!

Interesting article here on the logistics of the current tour. Particularly liked the bit about not doing dress rehearsals :0 

https://www.iq-mag.net/2022/12/the-cure-european-tour/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smithy has to be one of the most underrated men in music I think. In both songwriting and guitar playing. You only have to look at how many amazing guitarists who quote him as an influence. Think he must be quite difficult to work with though as they have had a hell of a lot of members over the years.

11 hours ago, sPiKi said:

Possibly, but you have to admire the range and styles in sings in, while playing guitar for most of a two and half hour set, with changes to the set list every night of a 46 date tour. He is one talented guy!

Absolutely not denying he is a fantastically talented person, as a song writer, as a musician and as a guitar player (amongst many other talents). A 2 1/2 set at any age is good going (Peter Hook does this too and clearly has gotten in shape in order to do so). They mix it up too which is the sign of a great band. The point is more that he doesn't do any vocal exercises or look after his voice. Had he been singing 80s rawk style, it might be different. That's no dig at him but just he knows what he can and can't do, and works it brilliantly. When he started singing at Wembley the other night the first thing we thought was "wow, he's still on it!"

• Like 2

Great gig last night.

Sound was excellent, best I've heard at a large venue for some time, maybe ever.

Crystal clear mix and not too loud too.

Big set, 2 hour plus.  After touring around London all day and probably not eating enough , embarrassed to say, I ran out of energy and feinted in the encore!

4 feints in all I think from the first one to getting to the concourse for a sit down, thankfully my girlfriend and a lovely lady stranger helped me to a quiet cool spot to recover.  Thanks to the lovely lady stranger for the help getting out to the side and buying me some water, nice too know there are still people out there willing to help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are arguably my favourite band so it’s criminal I’ve only seen them 3 time.

But Leeds arena show was fantastic. Other times I’ve seen them it’s been pretty much a greatest hits set. 

However, this time lots of deep cuts and a handful of new songs.

Although I was miffed they didn’t open with Plainsong.

Plus Twilight Sad in support 🖤🖤🖤

• Like 3

saw them loads of times but the standout gig was easily glastonbury 86 and even bob smith agrees with this one mainly because of the weather, the cure came on during one of the most cinematic reddest sunsets and as the gig kicked into high gear suddenly a full on dramatic lightening storm erupted directly above our heads ...the band played on with god now in charge of the light show, the whole effect was sheer gothic perfection.

• Like 3

What is there left to say. They simply are the original of something that I think subliminaly a lot of post Cure "Indie" bands are trying to be. Having said that Sir Gallups constant movement has always irritated.  A Forest has to one of the most deceptively simple but massive tunes ever written. Genius.

• Like 1