Why become a member? ×

Between the JB and P Bass, Preference?

ChWillie

I think there's a place for both. I prefer a jazz for my heavier stuff and think the single coils probably help the thicker distortion sound a bit less muddy.

The precision just fits though. In a band setting it just cuts through nicely and sits in the mix pretty perfectly. I used to think P's we're boring and avoid them but they're pretty perfect. I've even got the silly notion in my head that I need another one so I can have one for flats and another for rounds.

I do prefer a jazz neck though and the P I have has a jazz neck.

• Like 2

P for me. I love the blurry thud and authority of a precision in a band setting. I’ve had a few jazzes too which were nice, and main non-Fender is essentially an active Yamaha jazz bass. 

But a P just suits me - it’s a B profile 70s neck, nice and lightweight, plenty of thump and fits me like a favourite old pair of slippers. 

• Like 4

I think it’s the reassuring presence. Tho strangely enough last week I used both my Jazz and my Precision at rehearsal, I preferred the Precision as there was that reassuring solidity to the sound whereas the band preferred the Jazz as it has more lows. 

• Like 1

I've had a couple of Jazzes but I prefer Precisions. The body shape, the sound, the looks, the simplicity of one volume & one tone.

That said, I'm about to try a J neck on a P body for the first time ever. It's an itch I just have to scratch. 

• Like 2

I did not bond with the two Js I had. But there were specific things that I did not like, which do not extend to all J basses. I now have two (cheap but modded) P basses and another one coming. That's all the basses I have. I love a P.

I am often tempted to give Js a new chance. After all, I do love the sound of a J in other people's hands. But it is a bit risky because if I do find one I like I may feel compelled to have one with flats and mute Jemmott style, a Jaco-like fretless and a fretted with rounds because why not?

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 23:36, Bassfinger said:

Never been in to the PJ style though. To me it's an answer looking for a question.

Yeah I hear you. Rather than being the best of a P and a J pickup together, to me they end up sounding like neither. 

Feel a bit cramped too with that J pickup right where I play. 

• Like 2

On 02/12/2022 at 23:36, Bassfinger said:

Never been in to the PJ style though

Same really, even though I’ve got one, but I only bought it because of the colour and maple neck at the time ,and I only ever use the P pup, I now use just a precision or a jazz 

• Like 2