Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Jack Casady Epi basses?

Ccwg_Bass

8 hours ago, neepheid said:

Try it with rounds first before diving straight into flats - I love the sound of mine with rounds.

I didn't get on with rounds on mine at all. The world would be a less interesting place if we were all the same though :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy_L said:

I didn't get on with rounds on mine at all. The world would be a less interesting place if we were all the same though :)

The good thing is that it comes fitted with rounds, so it's free to try.  All I'm saying is give it a chance, because like you allude to - we're all individuals.

• Like 1

Loved mine. 

Massively regret selling it. 

If money was no object (but taste was) I’d have one again in my collection tomorrow.

When I got it it had flats on, so they went on the bin and I put rounds on it.

Mainly used in a loud 3 piece band where I was playing lots chords and rhythm guitar style with dirt ala Lou Barlow. Did so much to make a big sound with with guitarists playing a strat that was all treble. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I tried one the other day, great feeling neck and what a sound! However, I'd suggest trying one to see if they work for you ergonomically, videos and sound clips won't tell you how one would work with your physicality.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone gig with one of these regularly and at high stage volume?

I’m looking at a long scale semi hollow for a new venture, and as the Lakland on here has recently sold, I’m considering a JC. 
Looking at and listening to reviews, the bass has a fairly good range of tone variation (although I tend to stick with the same tone settings throughout a set, varying finger position/attack to get some scope when needed, so not an issue).

My main concern would be possible feedback, given that it’s a hollow body without centre block. 
So the question above is for those who play one at high band volume and your experiences.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I’m looking at a long scale semi hollow for a new venture, and as the Lakland on here has recently sold, I’m considering a JC. 
Looking at and listening to reviews, the bass has a fairly good range of tone variation (although I tend to stick with the same tone settings throughout a set, varying finger position/attack to get some scope when needed, so not an issue).

My main concern would be possible feedback, given that it’s a hollow body without centre block. 
So the question above is for those who play one at high band volume and your experiences.

Thank you. 

if you stop playing at high volume and don't deaden the strings then it can start to feedback but its not unusable... but there are a lot of variables going on here with room acoustics etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Thank you. 

If you have some face melting distortion going through it in a cramped rehearsal room it can feedback. I've not had feedback problems with mine on gigs because I don't have my stage amp at huge volumes and don't put high gain distortion on. I do use it with fuzz but if you're controlling volumes and distances to the amp then you're fine. 

The JC is a superb gigging bass. Nice and light, lovely feel and you know what you're getting from it sound-wise. It can sound muddy on some settings but with flats on mine is nice, big, thick, old-school bassy, such a solid tone that I don't bother using effects on some tracks just because I'm enjoying the raw bass tone so much.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

I have no experience of semi hollow electric basses, only Double Bass which has never been played at high volume, and had no drums to compete with. 
I’ve done plenty of gigs with acoustic guitars in large venues but always used a “feedback buster” in the sound hole.

Might see if there’s any available locally for me to try out. 
Thanks again.

John 

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Thank you. 

No issues here playing pub gigs with most of the volume coming from the amp behind me.  I need to get quite close to the amp to get feedback, and in my experience it requires coaxing out of the bass - it won't just squeal at you with no warning, it's like a slow build up.

• Like 2

Not the JC (that's on my 'bucket list'...); I play a vintage Hofner Verithin, hollow-body bass. We don't play 'stupid' loud (pop-rock covers such as Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Noir Désir, Bowie...) and I have no feedback issues. When playing at home, I can easily provoke splendid '60s-'70s feedback by approaching the cab, as I like those 'West Coast' tones, but it's tame enough when out in public. :friends:

• Like 1

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with hollow/semi hollow basses over the years. I really want to love them, but I just don’t.

I had a Gretsch Thunder Jet, absolutely beautiful to look at, but tone wise just totally meh. I also had a DeArmond Starfire, again stunning to look at, and lovely to play, but it just wasn’t my sound. 

My bass player in my solo/band project had a JC, and loved it…. and sounded great recorded, but lacked something live.

The Epi JC has always been on my list too….. but I fear it’ll be the same end result. Middy, thuddy, but unexciting. I want to be wrong, I hope I am, when almost certainly get one.

• Like 1

Love/Hate here too for it. Bought a Pelham Blue one recently. It's definitely not a solid body and does have a unique sound to it too. 34 inch is pretty cool also. Kept rounds of mine to help it cut through (it didn't need to) Very bright to my ears with everything turned up but just a bit uncomfortable to play personally. Just not for me. No issue of feedback here though unlike some but try one out, you never know util you try :) 

• Like 1

A tip from a serial JC owner/player - if you're playing with bare forearms, use a sports wristband, pulled up the arm to where the forearm meets the edge of the body to cushion you against that hard, bound body edge.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

A tip from a serial JC owner/player - if you're playing with bare forearms, use a sports wristband, pulled up the arm to where the forearm meets the edge of the body to cushion you against that hard, bound body edge.

Same with the Starfire 

• Like 2