Why become a member? ×

PMT Southend Closing

Frank Blank

It’s a shame to hear this but I never got the impression they did a lot of business in there. I’ve bought consumables, strings and things, there a few times when I’ve been in Southend and a nice Hercules twin stand earlier in the year. But I’ve never once seen another customer in there on any of my visits. Still sorry to hear it though. 

• Sad 1

A few months ago when I was in the market for a keyboard controller for my DAW I went into the Nottingham branch of PMT and found the all displays in the guitar and bass sections woefully bare compared with my previous visit in 2019. The high-tech and keyboard areas were cordoned off with no explanation as to why and none of the staff appeared to be interested in helping me, so I left and bought a controller from Amazon instead.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Bristol store has moved. Last time I went in there the staff were being really helpful to a young guitarist and I was very impressed with the service I got.

I wasn't too impressed last time I went in. I tried a p bass, they set me up next to a guitarist with a really loud amp and when I turned up the amp they set me up with so I could just about hear it a sales person came over and turned it down. The bass felt nice but I've no idea how it sounded.

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Bristol store has moved. Last time I went in there the staff were being really helpful to a young guitarist and I was very impressed with the service I got.

I noticed that last time I was in Bristol, it has been moved by temple meads, which is not an area I generally go to, so probably won't really nip in again.

50 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I noticed that last time I was in Bristol, it has been moved by temple meads, which is not an area I generally go to, so probably won't really nip in again.

It's also an inconvenient place to park. In the city centre you could at least combine a vist there with something else so you're not paying £6 to park to just buy a set of strings. The new shop location means you can't combine the parking fee for other business unless you want to go in Fowlers and buy a motorbike while you're there.

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

It's also an inconvenient place to park. In the city centre you could at least combine a vist there with something else so you're not paying £6 to park to just buy a set of strings. The new shop location means you can't combine the parking fee for other business unless you want to go in Fowlers and buy a motorbike while you're there.

Seems a strange move. They were right underneath a carpark in the old location. Although it is an expensive NCP one. Last time I went I was cheeky and parked in the staff carpark around the back 😆

11 hours ago, Daz39 said:

The Brum store is a proper cavern, but they’ve suffered by being on the edge of the CAZ (same with Guitar Guitar out past Five Ways.)

At least it's just outside the CAZ so it is possible to get to it round the Middleway ring road.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bartelby said:

Seems a strange move. They were right underneath a carpark in the old location. Although it is an expensive NCP one. Last time I went I was cheeky and parked in the staff carpark around the back 😆

It's all about the rent and location. The new store is in a building that will be pulled down in a few years, and the inducements to take space there are massive. I imagine they won't be paying rent for the first year.

It's also opposite the musical college too. Parking there is a nightmare though, you're right.