Why become a member? ×

"Super high spec pimped Fender P bass guitar" - should I go for it?

polvo

I came across this advert, and I'm trying to figure out if it's as good a deal as it sounds, or if the guy is just an amazing salesman.

To someone who doesn't know much about bass guitar specs, does the upgrades he's describing sound like they're really that great?

Any advice on what I should check for if I go and take a look at it, or any questions I should be asking? (Other than just seeing if I like the way it plays/sounds)

image.thumb.png.f1f5f411d7a7f325cf54102a00feeb4e.png

Edited by polvo

I came across this advert, and I'm trying to figure out if it's as good a deal as it sounds, or if the guy is just an amazing salesman.

To someone who doesn't know much about bass guitar specs, does the upgrades he's describing sound like they're really that great?

Any advice on what I should check for if I go and take a look at it, or any questions I should be asking? (Other than just seeing if I like the way it plays/sounds)

image.thumb.png.00fc9f5f230bc047dbcfdc0a3c9af9d4.png

9 minutes ago, polvo said:

image.thumb.png.00fc9f5f230bc047dbcfdc0a3c9af9d4.png

The only way to find out is to contact the seller and arrange to go and play it, if it really does play as well and with as low action as he claims then I would say it's worth it(a fret dress is around £120 in my neck of the woods)

Just from his language I’d look elsewhere particularly if he asks you for PayPal friends and family or bank transfer before you go over. 
I don’t know about the upgrade costs I’ll be honest,  but would you know by looking at it that they’d been done? 

anyone who says: 

“I'm not interested in making a lot of cash for this, I just want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. It's worth about 450-500” and wants half that, I’d stay away from 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, polvo said:

does the upgrades he's describing sound like they're really that great?

Not to me they don't.

The Seymour Duncan SJB-1 has quite a low output, it'll struggle against the Split-P. Nothing striking about a Player series split-P either. 

It will however sound like a P-bass 🙂

There's something seriously wrong with the low action claim. In one photo it looks like a string is being held down while the others hover above the board. Also if you look at the bridge saddles, they well above the base plate, I'd expect to see them lower.

Not a fan of D'Addario chromes so I'll keep my biased opinion to myself 😃 Have to wonder though why a bass strung with flats needed a fret dress and polish after just 6 year.

£220, it's not deadly; it's about the going rate round that way. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Have to wonder though why a bass strung with flats needed a fret dress and polish after just 6 year.

I have a theory about this: fretwork in the 2 Squier Affinity PJ I have had was dreadful. One may consider spending 100-120 for a fret dress from a point of view, instead of changing bass. The problem is that it is hard to get that back at sale point so personally I preferred to improvise and file frets myself.

Other considerations: stock pickups on an Affinity PJ are not that good from my point of view so the replacements for me are certainly an improvement.

If that bass really has impecable fretwork it is worth the money in my opinion, assuming it does not have other problems (eg my Affinity PJs had limited truss rod range).

It is not however the deal of the century. Making upgrades, unless you buy stuff second hand at good prices and do some work yourself, is just not cost-effective.

The action on the E string is certainly not low in that photo. If it's all kosher, I can only assume that he's lifting it up so you can see the "low" action on the A string.

Knobs are black with a faux diamond "tip"?

Certainly the ad has the whiff of a chancer.

Edited by Gwilym

Essentially an Affinity PJ with some better pickups, probably not a terrible deal if it plays half as well as he says. His valuation is a bit silly as the cap on what an upgraded bass is worth is mainly decided by the model of the bass itself and not the sum of the parts. You can't make a £100 Squier into a £500 bass by whacking better pickups in there, that's why you keep the original parts and put them back on before you sell it!

Quite a lot of choice for ~£250 in the used market, can pick up a Gen1 Sire V7, Squier CV/VM, Yamaha BB414 etc. A pimped Squier Affinity wouldn't really be on my radar tbh.

• Like 2

Unless the pups are sealed, branded sets (EMG SD Barts etc) you have no way of knowing if they are cheap cack out of a non name £100 bass.  

My money would be spent on something 'original', a used Squier (just sold a great CV for £250 which would scare those with full blown Fenders) or maybe Sire, Yamaha or similar.

It can be difficult to navigate the bass market. I certainly made mistakes when I was new and didn’t know what to look for. Over time, you pick up what to look for and especially on basschat, you get to know the reliable names (if not faces!).

I think your biggest tool is the bass chat market place. If you see a deal that appeals to you, try and compare as like for like as possible to sold items in the marketplace. The search function is your friend. I’ve always found the marketplace a good indicator of fair pricing.

Try your best to not be sold by the sellers sales pitch. Good instruments find a way of selling themselves at fair prices. Anything priced low should be as off putting as something priced high.

And yes, +1 to “don’t pay for other people’s upgrades” is generally a good rule to live by.

Just get an all brand Harley Benton P Bass!

Seriously!

The Harley Benton GuitarBass Vintage Series that I bought had a graphite nut, and that with perfectly cut nut slots from stock, how often do you encounter that on a stock instrument even at a much higher price range.

The fretwork was practically perfect, I have t set up with about 1.8mm (~ 0.07" <5/64") at 12th fret on the lowest string and about 1.4mm (~0.055" <4/64") at 12th fret highest string, with a very minimal, basically flat, neck relief, and there is not fret buzz anywhere whatsoever.

The stock pickups sounded great, and I feel no need to upgrade.

It feels, plays and sounds amazing, and the finish was flawless. 

Their basic P Bass sounds great too, and if you should be unlucky to get a dud one just return it within 30 days with shipping costs covered by Thomann and get another one send to you or all your money back.

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK Standard Series :

14622783_800.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_20_sbk_standard_series.htm

111£

Or for just 4£ more with an additional bridge J pickup: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pj_4_sbk_deluxe_series.htm

Edited by Baloney Balderdash