Why become a member? ×

Make a MB CMD121P sound like a Fender Rumble 500?

Rusco

Strange request I know... but I'll be occasionally playing with a band who are used to (and like) a Rumble 500 and have asked if I can provide the same sound.

I have a CMD121P + NY121 and want to try and get at least in the same ballpark if I can.

I'm not going to buy a Rumble (a solution, but expensive one), my expectations are realistic and I know it's a niche request - but throwing it our there, has anyone tried this with any success?

I've twiddled with all the knobs (best so far is bass, lower mids and treble at 12 o'clock, high mids at 11 o'clock plus some added VLE) and tried with a P, J and Stingray with limited success.

Cheers.

Have you asked them what on earth they mean? One bass amp is very much like another to the members of a band who don't play  bass.

The Rumbles have a drive knob that can give you a distorted sound but that's the only big real difference between the two amps.

If it's not that distorted sound they're after then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your Markbass will be fine.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

It's not like the Rumble has a massively distinctive sound per se, it might just be the band liked the previous EQ/Tone of the bass (or even the bass itself) - what did the other guy play? Is your bass ballpark with that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

It's not like the Rumble has a massively distinctive sound per se, it might just be the band liked the previous EQ/Tone of the bass (or even the bass itself) - what did the other guy play? Is your bass ballpark with that?

Agreed. I have both of those combos and I sound like me no matter which one I'm playing through.

Odd request. I could understand if they asked for something £££/exotic, but a Rumble? Decent, competent amps and nowt wrong with them at all, but hardly the last word or cutting edge in bass gear. I'd take your MB rig over a Rumble any day of the week. I'd be asking them what sound they mean - bright, distorted, clean/dirty, old school, etc. Are you able to speak with their regular bassist to find out what he sounds like?

Just roll the vle and vpf to off, cut a bit off bass, add in some high mid and treble. That should give you a clearer more sterile rumble sound. 

Then gradually change each week to however you like it.

It may well be the bass on the mb that's different to their ears. In fairness it is quite deep when at noon.

Edited by la bam

23 minutes ago, la bam said:

Just roll the vle and vpf to off, cut a bit off bass, add in some high mid and treble. That should give you a clearer more sterile rumble sound. 

Then gradually change each week to however you like it.

It may well be the bass on the mb that's different to their ears. In fairness it is quite deep when at noon.

That answer is far too sensible…

What Rumble 500? The one I heard played by multiple bassists in a variety of bands sounded like it was smothered in duvets. I can't believe they were all incompetent at finding a pleasing tone in an unfamiliar amp so I blame the amp. It would have been a 2018/19 model.

It wouldn't surprise me if your guitarist was in love with that 'no tone' bass sound. Less work for guitar to fill the mix, if I am being kind.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

What Rumble 500? The one I heard played by multiple bassists in a variety of bands sounded like it was smothered in duvets. I can't believe they were all incompetent at finding a pleasing tone in an unfamiliar amp so I blame the amp. It would have been a 2018/19 model.

It wouldn't surprise me if your guitarist was in love with that 'no tone' bass sound. Less work for guitar to fill the mix, if I am being kind.

If it was a v3 500 I'd be tempted to say it might have been dodgy or damaged. I've played through a couple in addition to my own and never had the 'under a pile of blankets' experience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rusco said:

Strange request I know... but I'll be occasionally playing with a band who are used to (and like) a Rumble 500 and have asked if I can provide the same sound.

I have a CMD121P + NY121 and want to try and get at least in the same ballpark if I can.

I'm not going to buy a Rumble (a solution, but expensive one), my expectations are realistic and I know it's a niche request - but throwing it our there, has anyone tried this with any success?

I've twiddled with all the knobs (best so far is bass, lower mids and treble at 12 o'clock, high mids at 11 o'clock plus some added VLE) and tried with a P, J and Stingray with limited success.

Cheers.

Have this new band actually heard your Markbass setup? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just buy some Fender badges and stick them on the Markbass, they'll never know.

I like the Rumble, had V2 350w and V3 500w. Good combos but nothing particularly distinctive. What is it they particularly like about them? I bet it's the silver cloth grill.

• Haha 1

On 29/10/2022 at 09:57, Ed_S said:

If it was a v3 500 I'd be tempted to say it might have been dodgy or damaged. I've played through a couple in addition to my own and never had the 'under a pile of blankets' experience.

+1

I've played that amp a few times and I always liked what I heard. From the 'not very expensive' amps, it's one of my favourite sounding ones.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll cover my MB with silver cloth, stick a Fender badge on and tell them it's the same, job done lol

Ok so I had a chance to meet and talk with their normal bassist. Very good player but elderly hence why they'll have guests. By chance I also heard a chap playing a Rumble over the weekend and was impressed with the sound. 

Their bassist uses an AM Std Jazz, it's a Rumble v3 500 and he says they mean a deep (but not bass heavy boom), warm, tight sound with slight drive. They've not heard my (or any) MB but I'm not sure that's the native sounds I'm getting.

Anyway, I'm clearer on the sound they are after, thanks to their current bassist, rather then just 'like a Rumble' but when I try on my MB it tends to sound boxy. Defo going to need some careful eq work for sure.

Decreasing the lo mid control reduces boxiness on Markbass amps; try that first to various degrees, it may get you into the warm sound without boom the band is used to. The CMD121P on its own might work too, adding the NY121P cab increases the low end output a lot which might be too much if the band were used to a 210 combo?

I've found that sometimes small amps being driven moderately sound better that more powerful systems barely breaking sweat. 

On 05/11/2022 at 11:30, Sparky Mark said:

Decreasing the lo mid control reduces boxiness on Markbass amps; try that first to various degrees, it may get you into the warm sound without boom the band is used to. The CMD121P on its own might work too, adding the NY121P cab increases the low end output a lot which might be too much if the band were used to a 210 combo?

I've found that sometimes small amps being driven moderately sound better that more powerful systems barely breaking sweat. 

Thank you, that’s helpful I’ll try it.

On 05/11/2022 at 12:51, jezzaboy said:

This might be daft or been suggested earlier but can`t you borrow their usual bassist amp to do the gig?

Thanks, it’s not daft but I guess I just prefer using my own gear. If all else fails though!