Why become a member? ×

No Pickguards

MrSpace

3 hours ago, MrSpace said:

I find myself drawn to basses without pickguards. Not sure why, I just prefer the look. Anyone else feel the same? What's the disadvantage with a lack of pickguard?

16652173131924808559058001745360.thumb.jpg.5e640a9320be5911db07432a01477193.jpg

I prefer no pickguard and no control plate, but am contemplating taking the guard off my Sire V7. The one thing that stops me is the holes left behind, but putting the screws back will look even worse. Decisions decisions...

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I prefer no pickguard and no control plate, but am contemplating taking the guard off my Sire V7. The one thing that stops me is the holes left behind, but putting the screws back will look even worse. Decisions decisions...

Filling and matching would be a pain. Perhaps transparency would work?

28.thumb.jpg.a906dcd4d400c75e56ce08baebe763ba.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Clear acrylic worked a treat on mine.

MMV7resize02.thumb.jpg.26bcd49fdc30ff69a360abb6a15f4cb4.jpg

It's one of these:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/pickguard/boston-m4v-110-tr-1-ply-pickguard-for-sire-marcus-miller-v-transparent

But be warned - it's a poor fit & the pickup hole & heel cutout needed lots of careful filing to get it to fit. Looks great now but took hours of fiddling to get it right.

• Like 5

Personally I prefer the aesthetics of a pickguard, and it's a fun easy way to change the looks of an instrument, which is half the fun imo.

I do agree with perspectives above though that pickguards from a manufacturers point of view are often about cost saving and easier mass manufacturing - much easier to just rout everything out from the front and cover it with a bit of plastic.

On more expensive instruments with nicer looking wood and finishes I'm more inclined to leave it off.

On 08/10/2022 at 19:23, MrSpace said:

I find myself drawn to basses without pickguards. Not sure why, I just prefer the look. Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, I hate PGs (and control plates) and none of my main players have them.

On 08/10/2022 at 19:23, MrSpace said:

What's the disadvantage with a lack of pickguard?

None. I don't see an advantage to one unless you're super agressive with a pick, which is certainly not me.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1

Eh, it doesn't bother me either way.  Got all the main types

No pickguard - Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass

Traditional, screwed down pickguard - G&L Tribute LB-100

Weird-a$$ pickguard attached with a bracket - Epiphone Jack Casady

No pickguard but has control plate - G&L CLF L-1000, Reverend Triad

They are what they are.

The only "disadvantage" I can see of not having a pickguard is for the manufacturer, who has to rout the body front and back now instead of just in the front.

Edited by neepheid
Stoopid swear filter
  • Like 2

On 08/10/2022 at 11:43, MrSpace said:

I can understand that, interesting perspective. I guess I just prefer the simpler look of it without a pickguard. I'm also wondering if the pickguard has much of a function on a bass? 

Yes it makes easier to make as you just cover up bad routing with a bit of plastic 😀

• Haha 1