Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Flatwounds?

dclaassen

Has anybody tried these strings? I want to experiment with a different type of flatwound, but don't want to waste a lot of money if I don't like the feel. I am currently running LaBella Low Tension flats that came on my fretless Spector. Nice sound, but the B string is really tubby, almost to the point of being unusable. I mostly use this bass for Jazz or Rockabilly stuff. I cannot use coated strings because of the Fishman system on the bridge pickup. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stewblack said:

They're great value. Nothing wrong with the quality. The problem is unless you buy a bunch of other stuff the postage puts the price up

Soooo....you're telling me that I NEED to buy more stuff to save money, right????....:)

I think that is a very solvable problem.....:):):)

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

They're great value. Nothing wrong with the quality. The problem is unless you buy a bunch of other stuff the postage puts the price up

You enabler …. You’re encouraging this poor man to buy more in uncertain economic times and the chain reaction of GAS fuelled purchases will likely see him turfed out of his hovel for failure to pay rent because he’ll have spent that money on “di pedals” and other “must-haves”. He and his family will then likely end up sleeping under railway arches being harassed by someone relentlessly playing the zither. And it will probably be snowing too. 
I hope you’re pleased with your days work spent “stimulating the economy@stewblack

what next ? Shooting pigeons with a bow and arrow to keep the streets cleaner of bird poo? 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:
2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Soooo....you're telling me that I NEED to buy more stuff to save money, right????....:)

I think that is a very solvable problem.....:):):)

I joined this site for precisely this kind of advice. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

You enabler …. You’re encouraging this poor man to buy more in uncertain economic times and the chain reaction of GAS fuelled purchases will likely see him turfed out of his hovel for failure to pay rent because he’ll have spent that money on “di pedals” and other “must-haves”. He and his family will then likely end up sleeping under railway arches being harassed by someone relentlessly playing the zither. And it will probably be snowing too. 
I hope you’re pleased with your days work spent “stimulating the economy@stewblack

what next ? Shooting pigeons with a bow and arrow to keep the streets cleaner of bird poo? 

I can't respond to this without infringing the rules on duscussing politics.

But yes. The op needs to buy more stuff to get his cheap strings really cheap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I can't respond to this without infringing the rules on duscussing politics.

But yes. The op needs to buy more stuff to get his cheap strings really cheap.

Good thing I am an unrepentant tightwad. I can actually walk into my local music shop and buy nothing at all.....(and they have a really nice Sandberg J bass in there, too...:)

On 06/10/2022 at 13:29, Geek99 said:

Bow and arrow hire £50 a day. All lost arrows must be paid for. :-))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a set for my fretless 5 and they were Ok… until the low b snapped as I was tuning them up when I first put them on! Couldn’t believe it! Contacted Thomann and they gave me a refund as they didn’t have any more in stock. Bought some roto flats instead which are lovely… oh well! 
just my experience for what it’s worth.

I bought a set of the HB flats (100s) and they sounded okay straight out of the packet. Quite bright with equal output. I did find them reasonably taught, but as my favourite flats are La Bella Low Tensions, that is hardly a surprise! Certainly good value for money.

The ball end colours reminded me of D’Addarios......

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Gnermo said:

Does anyone know what the windings at the end look like on these strings?
I know the nickelwounds are specifically catered to Fender style 4-in-a-row headstocks with the way the silk wrappings extend.

Is it the same for these strings?

On the set I had, yes. Extended silks for 4 in a row.