Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced cabinets

BillyBass

Sort of new.  I'm guessing the One10T has been a success so Alex is now putting out 'T' versions of all his tweeterless cabs.  The Super Midget has now been renamed the 'Super Mini T'

https://barefacedaudio.com/pages/which-to-choose

There isn't a link to buy any yet, nor is there an indication of the price but I'm guessing all it takes is a phone call.

I like the idea of a Supertwin with a tweeter.  That was a bit of a gap in his range, from tweeterless Supertwin to Big Twin 2 (now 3).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 10" drivers output over 6KHz, which is enough for many of us.  The 12" drivers frequency range only goes up to 4KHz (probably a bit higher) so tweeters are more useful there.  I prefer my Super Midget to my Super Compact, though they sound great together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Never felt the need for more treble with my Barefaced cabs - it's a bass cab!!

I suspect they're just offering this option for people that just want to have 'extra things' on their cab and to match their competitors in terms of features. 

It's all about dispersion. All speakers have a falloff at 45 degrees off axis. The bigger the driver the lower the frequency of the roll off. You will not notice the difference if you are in front of the speaker. Your audience will if they stand at the side. For example below is the response curve of a faital pro 12 PR300, used in several bass cabs. You will see that at 3KHz the output is about -18dB down at 45 degrees off axis. A good tweeter, well crossed over, will restore that so that those people at the side hear you as you hear yourself. That includes your band members.

12PR300_response_8.gif.0e744b83daa69979a0d481ce0259d59e.gif

The Eminence Kappalite 3012, on which the 12" Barefaced Gen 3 cab drivers  are based looks like this:

1940898418_Kappalite3012LF.png.1992acd382b8aa4e000d0c23eac13837.png

There is no off axis plot but being the same diameter as the Faital pro 12PR300, you can expect a similar roll-off. Even at 2 KHz ON axis, the Eminence driver is 2.5-3dB down.  I will probably get hammered for this but this driver is close to unusable without a tweeter except for use as a subwoofer.

I will get my coat...

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2022 at 17:21, Chienmortbb said:

A good tweeter, well crossed over, will restore that so that those people at the side hear you as you hear yourself.

I should perhaps add that very few bass cabs are properly crossed over and use low cost tweeters. The result is often that fizz/tizz sound that so many hate. Just look at how many posts there are on here and The Other Place about removing the tweeters on Markbass Combos. That is not an intended slight on Markbass as many cabinets have similar rudimentary filters. Also don't be fooled by the rotary control for the tweeter level, it usually allows just the fizz/tizz level to be adjusted.

One look at the FRFR threads will show the popularity of some high end PA cabs from RCF, QSC, Yamaha and the like. where good quality drivers are used. The RCf ART 945 https://www.rcf.it/en/products/product-detail/art-945-a has a crossover frequency of 650Hz allowing the 15" driver to work well where it can and a combination of the horn and compression driver to handle everything else. The performance is immense BUT it is well over £1300. A large part of that would be the 4" voice coil compression driver. However compare that to a decent head and decent cab.

Edited by Chienmortbb