Why become a member? ×

Pedals at back of stage?

Hammer_

Hi. Has anyone experimented with placing their pedal board at the back of the stage and using only a tuner + expression pedal our front? I’m trying to think of ideas to keep my stage area clean as I don’t use many stomps once they are turned on. Only use expression to turn on/off overdrive so don’t need a large pedalboard out in front of me. The other idea I had was to start rack-mounting them but that seems like a whole different challenge. Any thoughts, ideas or tips?

In the 90s my band of the time used MIDI controlled backing and multi-effects for guitar and bass. All the effects patch changes were controlled by the backing, so we didn't have pedals cluttering up the stage. It also meant that I could be anywhere on stage and my sounds would change automatically at the correct points in the song. 

If you're not switching them on and off mid song, you could put the board (or a customised version of it) on the amp/cab or even in a purpose made stand - they remain accessible but clear of the performance area. As easy access by foot is no longer required, you can source or make a board to fit the footprint of the amp/cab/stand or if you rack them, to fit on a rack tray. 

I made a small stand from an old music stand to house my in-ear monitor kit. I started by using the full music stand with the lectern bit flat but it was bigger than I needed, so I used an old off-cut of MDF, covered it in black tape and bolted the lectern swivel attachment to it. It's just the right height so I can make adjustments, but the overall footprint is small and it can sit out of the way on stage (usually behind the PA speaker).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies guys. I guess what I’m asking is what you keep your pedals in or on… pedal boards, racks or any other ideas?  To give more context I’ve just sold my helix and am going back to pedals. I’m used to keeping my helix at the back in front of my cabs, but as stages start to get bigger I was thinking about having tone shaping gear at the back and stuff I need to use down the front. 

I was just a couple of single pedals guy for years and Like Bassbiscuits i would have them on top of the cab and thump them with my fist. buying batteries was the thing that took me to a pedal board the smallest i could find Just four on there only used each of them about once through the gig, depending on the set I would sometimes not bother with them at all due to fear of degrading my sound.  ( Comp, Oct, synth, Chor/Flange, ) 

30 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I plug the bass into the amp and that's it. Headstock tuner, s'all. KISS-style (Keep It Simple, Sonny...). :friends:

For the first time in years I adopted this approach at the gig I did on Saturday, for some reason it felt incredibly liberating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hammer_ said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I guess what I’m asking is what you keep your pedals in or on… pedal boards, racks or any other ideas?  To give more context I’ve just sold my helix and am going back to pedals. I’m used to keeping my helix at the back in front of my cabs, but as stages start to get bigger I was thinking about having tone shaping gear at the back and stuff I need to use down the front. 

I'd mount them on a board and, as others have said, put the board on top of your amp/cab/rack/whatever. Still accessible but not cluttering floorspace.

My board lives on the floor as I still have to stamp on it during the set, but it's small enough that I can tuck it away between the feet of the cymbal stands, so I can still get to it but it's not taking up accessible stage space.

Edited by Rich

Pedalboard is the way to go IMO, if you have more than one or two pedals. Main benefit is short set up time… it contains pedals,  power supply and connections. Just plug and play.

If the board is going front of stage then I recommend a rechargeable power pack.

If it’s mainly ‘always on’ then yes, put them at the back of the stage.

• Like 2

On the odd occasion when not using my amp rack I use a tuner and / or a comp pedal I sit them on my amp in the punk band. In the Glam band I use a sound effects pedal but I prefer that at front of stage as I need to switch on / off thru some songs.

If you decide to go rack mount then consider the weight of your rack. Amp plus pedals, tuner and power supply all add up to quite a weight. My rack with amp and korg tuner is 24kg.

I have all my pedals (wireless, tuner, Big Muff, SansAmp) on a board in front of my cab and have done for years. Mostly so I (or anyone else, for that matter) don’t step on them whilst I’m playing.

The SansAmp is always on and the Big Muff is always on for one band and on for a few songs in their entirety for the other band so no need to switch anything mid-song. I don’t talk into the mic while I’m tuning either so I can do that at the back too.

Edited by joeystrange