Why become a member? ×

If a bass-picker could, would and should pick a pick, which pick would a bass-picker then pick?

Baloney Balderdash

On 28/09/2022 at 13:11, Cat Burrito said:

Over the years I have usually opted for a personalised band pic & my collection dates back over 30 years now. *sample pic here (usually 1mm thick)

picsBand.jpg.894667e2c9ec18551eaf88ea2145b89a.jpg

More recently I have opted for what I (semi) jokingly refer to as my plastic pieces of narcissism. Good for throwing out into crowds at bigger gigs (but I am not such a narcist that I don't worry that a keen audience member won't return it to me mid performance!)

PicksMe.thumb.jpg.d50e09f5a869e0abeb48e7f17041475e.jpg

I never saw The Ely Plains but my partner remembers the Lock Tavern gig fondly. We were good friends of Jan.

Well … last rehearsal I decided to finger play the whole set instead of using a pick. 

Biggest challenge was The Trooper but I just about nailed it 

There is definitely something extra playing with fingers… a wallop of punch and depth.I’m now tempted to leave the pick in the case. 

Choices choices !! 

11 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Well … last rehearsal I decided to finger play the whole set instead of using a pick. 

Biggest challenge was The Trooper but I just about nailed it 

There is definitely something extra playing with fingers… a wallop of punch and depth.I’m now tempted to leave the pick in the case. 

Choices choices !! 

Even as a beginner I can tell both styles have their advantages - I want to learn using a pick mainly but have tried with fingers and it seems a bit easier so maybe it’s the best way round to learn!! 
There is definitely some music I would like to play that requires using fingers, and after trying a load of pedals out at a friends house I found that they seem to be tailored to the finger players as when using a pick the effects just sounded so wrong. 

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

Even as a beginner I can tell both styles have their advantages - I want to learn using a pick mainly but have tried with fingers and it seems a bit easier so maybe it’s the best way round to learn!! 
There is definitely some music I would like to play that requires using fingers, and after trying a load of pedals out at a friends house I found that they seem to be tailored to the finger players as when using a pick the effects just sounded so wrong. 

I think some finger players ( like myself ) have a softer warmer tone and definitely deeper  compared to the pick. In a crowded guitar band I would imagine the pick would benefit the bass being heard but in my single guitar ( overdriven mostly ) band both work. As a compliment to the drums I think finger style tone has the edge for “fullness” 

There are finger style players with a tone a lot closer to the pick tone but that’s not me !

32 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I used those for a good few years.  Ever mindful of my OCD they matched my Ashdown amps quite nicely.

The sound is spot on, good grip and just about perfect gauge 

Nearest rival would be the 0.88mm green which I have loads too !

Edited by BassAdder60

for many years I have used dunlop tortex 1.14mm purple. I have loads of them. I stash them in my car just in case I forget them. I shove in the top of my pickguard at the end of the gig, so it's there for the next gig. It evens wears the paint off where I store them.

I also play a lot with my thumb these days, this comes from copying Sting in my tribute. My blues rock band is about 50/50 pick vs thumb these days

• Like 1

I was a nearly always finger style bassist and thought it was the best for playing rock on my PBass and EB Stingray before that however …,

Ive flipped to the dark side of pick playing 100% and after missing that initial change in tone you get from fingers I’ve found the benefit of pick playing as follows

1: I can play faster and although speed was good with fingers I can go faster with a pick and palm mute 

2: Clarity of notes is better in a single guitar band where I’m filling the band sound with the guitarist 

3: Amp volume seems louder 

4: drive tone is clearer 

In a band context I now see why playing a PBass with a pick for rock really does work well and I’m glad I made the effort to change 

As an ex guitarist I found the swop very easy and quick 

I strongly recommended buying a few triangle Tortex picks and giving it a go

• Like 1

Dunlop Tortex .73 for me, preferably in pitch black. They last about 5-10 songs before I chuck them. In fact I play a game where when they're done I aim them at the singers hand bag and try and get them in there. Took her a while to notice but she has a fair collection now 😆.

Edited by sirmuppet
  • Haha 1

Well … I miss playing finger style and achieve a better connection to the instrument. 
Next rehearsal I will lose the pick and see if I can get the tone and speed with just using fingers. 

Nice to have the choice of both but hard making the decision to which one is the best 

• Like 1

I think that’s the way to go, play what feels best. Over the past few years I’ve been obsessing with tone and this and that, and have come full circle to  deciding to play what I enjoy playing the most, and that I’ll just get as near as I can to the sound I want.

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think that’s the way to go, play what feels best. Over the past few years I’ve been obsessing with tone and this and that, and have come full circle to  deciding to play what I enjoy playing the most, and that I’ll just get as near as I can to the sound I want.

Well … rehearsal night and no pick, it was ok but … I picked up a pick tweaked my amp back to “pick” EQ settings and BAM .. a great sound .. I’m sticking with the pick 

It might be that the CTM100 head EQ sits more nicely with a pick than fingers ?? Maybe it’s a tube thing in relation to attack of the note etc ?? 
It just sounds better with the band and fits the PBass so well 

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I tend to prefer a heavy pick for most things, I have found that on heavier strings (120 - 130), I prefer a lighter pick, especially for fast stuff. Annoyingly, the one I find myself using the most is a rubbish one that came free, thrown in with something else I’d bought. It’s a .60, like the orange Dunlop Tortex, but a bit smaller. It’s a bit like trying to hold onto an eel, though. I am going to have to see if I can find something of a similar size that is grippier.

2 hours ago, KingBollock said:

As much as I tend to prefer a heavy pick for most things, I have found that on heavier strings (120 - 130), I prefer a lighter pick, especially for fast stuff. Annoyingly, the one I find myself using the most is a rubbish one that came free, thrown in with something else I’d bought. It’s a .60, like the orange Dunlop Tortex, but a bit smaller. It’s a bit like trying to hold onto an eel, though. I am going to have to see if I can find something of a similar size that is grippier.

Just cut a criss cross grid in the 'holdy on to' end with a stanley blade.