Why become a member? ×

If a bass-picker could, would and should pick a pick, which pick would a bass-picker then pick?

Baloney Balderdash

25 minutes ago, Rob Bisby said:

I've recently bought .60 flex, can't wait to try them. Also bought nylon and gator grip in same ish size

Interested to hear if the Dunlop Tortex Flex is more like the feel of a USA Nylon and less ‘clicky’ than a standard Tortex wedge. If so I may have to try these 

Edited by dmc79

47 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

The Flex picks are more warmer and less clicky but not quite Nylon in tone. 

Better than Tortex in my opinion 

Might be what I'm looking for, my bands extended to 2 guitarists so wouldn't mind going abit warmer

• Like 1

I've tried a few different gauges and found I don't like anything less than a 1.5mm. Dunlop Gator 2mm being my current favourite.

Everything I've tried below that seems too clicky and doesn't give me the volume and attack that I would like. 

I actually like the click and snap you get from a relatively flexible pick (regardless of flexibility some materials contribute to more click and snap than others), also to me it gives me better control over my picking, including dynamic range, and I don't like the more kind of "thuck" sound you get when striking the strings with a thicker inflexible pick.

Mind I am a fairly light picker, both when using a pick and when I use my fingers, only stroking, rather than striking or pulling, the strings, with the outmost tip of the pick or my fingers. 

That said I do quite like my 3.1mm Wedgie Soft rubber pick, however, again, despite the thickness it is still relatively flexible, but definitely produce a softer tone, I guess you could describe the tone as kind of like an odd compromise between pick and finger picking, though it does really have its very own unique tone, but quieter volume wise than finger picking or any other pick I've tried. 

And as I wrote a few posts back in this thread, I've given up on finding the one pick that gives me the one ultimate tone, or deciding definitively between either only using picks or fingers, and finally ultimately have come to the conclusion that I really need a broader palette of tools to cover all my needs, which though I think I have narrowed down to 3 different picks, plus using both either the tip or round corner of one of them, as well as a combination of various different finger picking techniques:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

As far as I understand Tortex as Dunlop uses for some of their picks, is a slightly altered Delrin formula, so my question is, is there any difference in feel and tone from a Tortex and then a regular Delrin pick of the same gauge, and in which case what?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2022 at 19:34, Lozz196 said:

And after a bit of thought and tinkering I’ve now gone back to my Dunlop Ultex 1mm Triangle picks. I just enjoy playing my bass with these more than any others, and primarily I play for enjoyment.

Played a gig last night pairing these picks with my JMJ Mustang bass, worked a treat.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that this thread is still alive. Short answer - 3mm "jazz" style picks.

As a jazz guitarist first and foremost, I mostly play with my fingers (as did Joe Pass and many other jazz greats). Probably because I first trained as a classical guitarist. Playing bass with my fingers feels so much more natural and, for me, more control over the dynamics. But I have heard many great bassists ply almost exclusively with a pick. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the style you're playing. All this said, I always keep picks in my pocket, because some songs just need that firmer, crisper attack (and a bit more assertiveness.) I almost always use 3mm picks: Dunlop Jumbo Flow, Dunlop Big Stubby, or Ernie Ball Prodigy. I'll occasionally use a Fender 351 Heavy (.96mm) which I like, but it feels a little alien in my hand.

I'm still sticking to the realization that no one picking technique/method will do everything I need it to optimally, so still swapping between using several different finger picking/plucking techniques, a Dunlop Tortex .60mm pick, and a Wedgie 3.1mm Soft rubber pick, depending, and mainly from a tone perspective.

Mainly I use my fingers though, and I suppose mainly regular traditional 2 finger plucking technique, even if not by much, I really do normally incorporate quite a a bit of Flamenco guitar style index and/or middle finger flicking technique, classical guitar style thumb + index + middle finger picking, and double thumbing, and it does happen I incorporate the ring finger too.

• Like 1