Why become a member? ×

Fazley Outlaw Basses-Hand stained Body and Roasted Neck for £171

yorks5stringer

Looks very interesting. It is not the right time, else I might have tried to order one. Putting good pickups, tuners and bridge if needed is not expensive on a P bass so I do not mind if they are bad stock - at least for that price.

Then there is the risk of sloppy fretwork, the bass weighin a ton (I see it's ash) or some other weird thing. But I guess spotting that and returning is easy..

I know not really related to this but I picked up a second hand Harley Benton telecaster as I need the body for a project. The neck which I don't need is a lovely roasted maple one like the P bass above. The HB is only around £170 I think. 

Crazy! 

The above bass looks great. 

5 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

nothing in this price range that does a roasted neck and hand-stained body.

Gear4Music launched something similar earlier this year, £160 inc an OK gig bag.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Select-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Denim-Burst/3L4K

Had mine a few months now and it's a decent wee bass, truth be told it's built to a very acceptable standard.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Gear4Music launched something similar earlier this year, £160 inc an OK gig bag.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Select-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Denim-Burst/3L4K

Had mine a few months now and it's a decent wee bass, truth be told it's built to a very acceptable standard.

I really like the look of of that, kind of an Aerodyne vibe going on. 

I don't know what the standard of finish is like, but it would be an excellent base to mod, if needed. 

Tuners, bridge and a pickup wouldn't cost much, and then give it a fret level and dress and roll the fingerboard edges. You would have a seriously nice bass for very little outlay. 

As I say, if it even needs it. 

• Like 1

What's the story with a lot of the more affordable basses coming out with roasted maple necks rather than just normal maple? 

Does it let them use cheaper woods as the roasting will take it up in hardness or is purely because previously roasting was a higher end option so now the mass producers are adding it too? 

53 minutes ago, Lw. said:

What's the story with a lot of the more affordable basses coming out with roasted maple necks rather than just normal maple? 

It's a cheap cosmetic process.

Nobody apart from real high end boutique are doing actual torrefied. Lightly toasted necks are described as "roasted" , the punters take this latest buzz word and fill in their own blanks.

Can't say I'm too surprised, marketing depts knew there wasn't much mileage left in "T*ne W**d" 😃 

• Thanks 1

I have two Fazleys, An acoustic that was obscene value for money and a telecaster copy that was £55 new and again amazing apart from slightly meh pickups. Only ‘issue’ I found was the strings supplied were bloody awful. If I was looking for something cheap I would happily buy another.

15 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Got to say I'm rather taken with this one. Like the binding a lot. I don't need a PJ bass, I really don't. No.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Chicago-Select-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Reverse-Red-Burst/3L4I?_gl=1*faqu6*_ga*MTY3ODc0OTk3OC4xNjYyOTY5OTg4*_up*MQ..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's a cheap cosmetic process.

Nobody apart from real high end boutique are doing actual torrefied. Lightly toasted necks are described as "roasted" , the punters take this latest buzz word and fill in their own blanks.

Can't say I'm too surprised, marketing depts knew there wasn't much mileage left in "T*ne W**d" 😃 

I know nothing about all this but effectively it is interesting that, at leadt that's my impression, roasted maple remains a niche, with the majority of basses on sale non-roasted. If it was a clear advantage, and doable at Sire, not to mention Fazley prices, one woukd assume it would become the industry standard above say £600 or something like that.

But I guess it is all more complicated than that (eg many would not want their jazz bass neck brown)

4 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

But I guess it is all more complicated than that (eg many would not want their jazz bass neck brown)

Putting aside appearance for a moment, it's complicated; more so depending on the process used.

There's 'torrefication' where timber is baked at 250C for 20 hours, heat then gets turned up to 400 degrees. It gets cooled down with a fine mist of water.

Another is 'thermally modified'. 4 or 5 methods of this, steam/pressure/nitrogen/oil. Some of these processes take between 3 and 7 days to complete.

Finally there's 'roasted', has none of the cellular changes the other methods introduce but the wood is nice and brown 😀

• Like 5

On 11/09/2022 at 17:56, kodiakblair said:

Just been looking at this