Why become a member? ×

Bands whose supposed 'worst' album is IYO actually their best

Barking Spiders

10 minutes ago, 40hz said:

One Hot Minute by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Dark, brooding and psychedelic and coming from a bad place, featuring, IMO, Anthony's best lyrics he's ever written, tackling some really heavy stuff (for once). Along with Uplift Moto, it's my favourite Chili Peppers album.

I think it's s*** on a bit, as unfortunately, there seems to be a bit of the 'cult of Frusciante' around the band, and anything with him not playing on, (in this case Dave Navarro) seems to be derided, completely forgetting dear Hillel was the OG.

Love that album, but for me, it still falls short in the immense shadow of BSSM.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Love that album, but for me, it still falls short in the immense shadow of BSSM.

This.

BSSM is amazing, with OHM coming a close second for me.

I agree with the other nominations so far - Seventh Son if my favourite Maiden album too.

Just now, Paul S said:

No longer going, Warren?  

No mate. Tony retired from his job and moved to Wiltshire. There was talk of trying to keep the band going, but it was just trying to postpone the inevitable really.

I continued to feel that there is huge hole in my musical life without it, but no band lasts forever.

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Elton John “Blue Moves”.

I play that album probably once a month at least, never tire of it, hear new bits each time. Slated by “fans” as it was not “pop”. 

Deep Purple “Come taste the band” 

My favourite DP album, just above “Burn”. Have zero interest in what “fans” think of either album. Feckin’ love em.

David Bowie “Tonight”

Generally hated by everyone including DB. Gets played by me more than any other DB album. Again, “fans” can take a leap, I love it. 

Basically I have no taste 😂😂😂😂 and I don’t care😝

Definitely agree about Come Taste The Band - I still play that regularly to this day! It doesn't really sound like a DP album (more like the best Bad Company album ever, but featuring Jon Lord playing keys and with a big hint of a Tommy Bolin solo album), but certainly my favourite Purple album. 

• Like 1

I find Weezer incredibly hard work but I persisted like the sucker I am up to 2016's 'White Album' afterwhich I bailed out.  Reckon Pinkerton ('difficult' album #2) is the best one of the output I'm familiar with.  

All subjective, of course.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Speling fale.

21 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I find Weezer incredibly hard work but I persisted like the sucker I am up to 2016's 'White Album' afterwhich I bailed out.  Reckon Pinkerton ('difficult' album #2) is the best one of the output I'm familiar with.  

All subjective, of course.

The steep drop in quality after Pinkerton is nearly vertical. I just pretend that they broke up in '97 and the occasional single of note after that (Hash Pipe, Keep Fishing, not much else) was just scavenged from unreleased Blue sessions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Rush’s Presto and Roll The Bones are both seen as dreadful by a lot of the Rush fanbase. However, whilst not maybe their best, I find them both very pleasing and better than some of their other albums.

I think both of those are thought of as far better than Test For Echo which seems to draw a lot of negative comments.

I continue to be a little confused at to why Clockwork Angels gets panned as badly as it does. I quite like it.

None of the above are their best in my opinion. I listened to both A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres just yesterday. They take some beating.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think both of those are thought of as far better than Test For Echo which seems to draw a lot of negative comments.

I continue to be a little confused at to why Clockwork Angels gets panned as badly as it does. I quite like it.

None of the above are their best in my opinion. I listened to both A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres just yesterday. They take some beating.

Clockwork Angels has some great tunes on it but I find Nick Raskulinecz’s mix awful, a complete mush with little separation. IIRC there was a remix of Snakes & Arrows that was warmly received, as the original release suffered from the same mushy mix, I hope they do the same for CA.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Clockwork Angels has some great tunes on it but I find Nick Raskulinecz’s mix awful, a complete mush with little separation. IIRC there was a remix of Snakes & Arrows that was warmly received, as the original release suffered from the same mushy mix, I hope they do the same for CA.

There is a lot going on in some of those tunes on CA. Not an excuse for it sounding a bit off, by probably a contributory reason.

I didn't know Snakes & Arrows had been remixed. I know Vapor Trails was. I have both versions and they are like night and day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

As already mentioned. Metallica Black, and Iron Maiden Seventh Son. My favourite album by both bands. While it's not my favourite album, I think The Spaghetti Incident by Guns N Roses was massively underrated. 

Black was the album that turned me off Metallica, then Nevermind came out and my musical tastes took a different direction.

44 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There is a lot going on in some of those tunes on CA. Not an excuse for it sounding a bit off, by probably a contributory reason.

I didn't know Snakes & Arrows had been remixed. I know Vapor Trails was. I have both versions and they are like night and day.

Aah, I might be getting confused with Vapour Trails.

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I always thought Nirvana were the most overrated band of all time. 

Oasis an extremely close second. 

Actually. I take that back. The White Stripes are the most overrated band ever. If you can even call them a band. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Stiff Little Fingers album Now Then is a real divider of opinions, many fans hated it, many loved it, personally it is still my favourite of their albums, still punk in many ways just not as angry as the earlier albums with some beautifully written lyrics that showed Jake's development as a song writer

• Like 2