Why become a member? ×

Making a jazz look like a precision

la bam

Just seeing if theres any cheap way to make a jazz look like a precision?

I've really bonded with my jazz, but with doing the tribute game I now need to look (from afar) like I'm playing a precision.

I dont mean change pick ups etc, just the scratchplate and control cavity.

If it helps, the bass body will be black.

Get stacked knobs so only two knobs rather than three, and get a black control plate made. From a distance it will look more in keeping with the Precision especially if you have the knobs to be where the bridge pickup volume & tone knobs would be on a standard Jazz plate. I wonder if our very own KiOgon could help out on some of this.

6 minutes ago, rmorris said:

Does anyone on the audience actually care as long as it sounds right ? I can see that a seven string fanned fret bass might spoil the mood. But J Vs P ?

Unfortunately, yes. Youd be amazed how people react. Albeit only a small amount. It shouldnt affect anything, but it does.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

IDK where you're located, but I'm sure there's some cheap P-bass around you used in the 100-150$/€/£ range (Squier, Harley Benton, SX). Might be a better solution. I, as you, am more of a Jazz fan (prefer the sound of the Jazz neck pickup to the P indeed), still have a HB P-bass for when the situation calls for one (paid 80€ for it used, like new, with a gig bag, +1 regular digital tuner, +1 clip tuner, +some cables). Plays nice, sets up fine, sounds like a P-bass should.

7 hours ago, la bam said:

Unfortunately, yes. Youd be amazed how people react. Albeit only a small amount. It shouldnt affect anything, but it does.

Crikey, I was told by the band leader of a Bluegrass band that he didn't want me to play an EUB because it spoiled the aesthetic of the band - which was otherwise old-fashioned acoustic instruments - which I get, but it must be a pretty obsessive punter who gets arsey about Jazzes versus Precisions.

Having said that, there's a few candidate bands that are 100% associated with Precisions, and I could imagine punters being obsessive enough to point out the issue, so if I was in a tribute to any of those I'd simply take the easier route and play a Precision, especially as it would probably sound more authentic.

Of course, we don't know which band it is so we can't tell......... :)

• Like 1

If it matters enough and I’m sure it does if you’ve thought to start a thread on it, I think you owe it to yourself, the band and the punters to do it right.

I also would not be messing with a bass that I had really bonded with.

There’s plenty of options out there for a P with a J neck.

• Like 2

If there are people who will quibble over you using a J instead of a P then they'll probably also quibble you using a J that looks like a P instead of a P.

If you're going all out on the tribute act then you may as well get a P from somewhere 

• Like 4

If it only needs to pass from a distance, you could just try getting somebody to make you a custom one-piece pickguard that doesn't need to modify anything about the original bass but has the missing visual cues that separate a J from a P, which to me are the straight line between the pickups and the tail at the bottom. I would use the existing screw holes and sub in with a bit of double-sided where required, and not try to move the pot or jack positions either - just swap the Jazz knobs for chrome domes. Literally do it as a completely reversible cosmetic nod to the P and see how it turns out. Might work...!

jazzision-pg.jpg.f4db9122c0f56e74d946ecc8b51a9997.jpg

Edited by Ed_S
Forgot to mention knobs...
  • Like 4

Don't mess around with a bass you like.  If it's important enough that you're asking how to do an incredibly bothersome thing which won't even look half as good as the real thing, just get the real thing.  Doesn't have to be a fancy/expensive P - or will the same folk you're wanting to convince that you're playing a P with a disguise get arsey about you playng a Squier instead of a Fender?

Also, to hell with folk like that, they can get in the bin.

• Like 1

I can only think of three bands big enough to tribute and make enough money doing so to warrant this level of commitment where it would also HAVE to be Precision……

But there’s only a thin chance you’ll get away with a J looking like a P, so perhaps a clash of cultures with the audience ain’t a bad thing, they can’t rule you with a fist of iron after all?  

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

As a matter of interest @la bam, what’s the tribute?

I'm looking at going back as John Deacon again.

So, its gonna be P bass all the way.

I've just spent 12 months gelling with a much narrower/slimmer jazz with independent volume and tone on each pickup, and it's the best feeling, best sounding bass for my style. But if it needs a p, it needs a p I suppose :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, la bam said:

I've just spent 12 months gelling with a much narrower/slimmer jazz with independent volume and tone on each pickup, and it's the best feeling, best sounding bass for my style. But if it needs a p, it needs a p I suppose :)

Ha ha, not one of my three top tips as rightly or wrongly I associate Deacon with his ‘ray (he was the first person I ever saw playing one). Get your point though, can’t picture him with a Jazz 👍

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Great tribute, very envious 

Yeh, I love it, got offered a role in another one, so it's a for as I already know everything.

I just cant see john without either the natural or black p bass.

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, la bam said:

For my money, a jazz dressed as a P would be worse than a J for that role.Gotta be a P.

It’s for this reason I had a natural Limelight and then a black Shuker Precision built for a Queen tribute.

No half measures for that I’m afraid.